First Excursion

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:09 AM.
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Hello!

I am going on a cruise very soon so I'm really trying to get my packing list straight! I have 2 excursions booked, one of which is zip-lining in Jamaica. I noticed under "what to wear" on the royal caribbean website it says close-toed shoes. Does anyone know if these are suggestions or requirements? I suppose it would be best to bring tennis shoes just in case, but I definitely prefer to wear my chacos!

Thanks!
Las Vegas
11,395 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by vmdenn8524
Hello!

I am going on a cruise very soon so I'm really trying to get my packing list straight! I have 2 excursions booked, one of which is zip-lining in Jamaica. I noticed under "what to wear" on the royal caribbean website it says close-toed shoes. Does anyone know if these are suggestions or requirements? I suppose it would be best to bring tennis shoes just in case, but I definitely prefer to wear my chacos!

Thanks!
Are Chacos closed toe shoes???

DON
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by donaldsc
Are Chacos closed toe shoes???

DON

I did ask whether their list was a REQUIREMENT or a SUGGESTION... I obviously know if closed toed were REQUIRED chacos would not be allowed. I hike in chacos though, another activity that closed toed shoes would be RECOMMENDED, not REQUIRED. Chacos simply provide more arch support than most tennis shoes I've tried.
Washington, DC
949 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Hello!

Thanks!
It's a requirement. Enjoy your zipline!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fantasy '95
Carnival Ecstasy '10
Carnival Paradise '12
Carnival Magic '13
Carnival Pride '14
Carnival Pride '15 (First time to HMC!!!)
Carnival Breeze '16
Fredericksburg, va. USA
85,151 Posts
Joined May 2001
It's required to prevent injury to your feet upon landing. If you don't have "closed toed" shoes or shoes that are secure on your feet, they won't allow you to ride...and you won't be refunded your money.
southern NM desert
11,920 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Hello!

Thanks!
You can wear your chacos on the ship, but for zip-lining, close-toed shoes are REQUIRED.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal

NCL Jade: b2b Dec 17, 2018 - Jan 4, 2019

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Cambridgeshire
2,653 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
I did ask whether their list was a REQUIREMENT or a SUGGESTION... I obviously know if closed toed were REQUIRED chacos would not be allowed. I hike in chacos though, another activity that closed toed shoes would be RECOMMENDED, not REQUIRED. Chacos simply provide more arch support than most tennis shoes I've tried.
I should assume therefore Chacos are going to be a no-no and tennis shoes not a very good choice from what you say. Substantial footwear seems to be what they are looking for.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria
109,312 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If they tell you that something is required for your excursion, it is for your safety.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Washington, DC
949 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Have you tried trail runners? Merrill and Salomon both make great shoes and you can usually find them on sale at rei.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fantasy '95
Carnival Ecstasy '10
Carnival Paradise '12
Carnival Magic '13
Carnival Pride '14
Carnival Pride '15 (First time to HMC!!!)
Carnival Breeze '16
NJ
7,303 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Have you zip lined before? Coming in from 30+ m.p.h. you have to suddenly stop on a platform. Your feet are part of the braking system. You will risk serious injury if you aren't wearing closed toed shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trish
Boston, MA
920 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by trish1c
Have you zip lined before? Coming in from 30+ m.p.h. you have to suddenly stop on a platform. Your feet are part of the braking system. You will risk serious injury if you aren't wearing closed toed shoes.
This 100%. Anything they tell you to wear/bring is required. If you show up without them you will be turned away with no refund.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature