Hotwire Overbooking! Warning!

Askmelanie

I booked a 4 1/2 star hotel in South Beach last April for $250 for my upcoming trip Jan 2018, for one night before our cruise. I received an email today from Hotwire that the hotel Shelborne South Beach is over booked and we can no longer stay there. They gave me the option of Hotwire booking another hotel, or refunding my money plus $25 hotwire credit.

I looked and most of the nice hotels on the beach are over $400-600 since it is prime time and about a week away! So I called the Hotwire number. The woman told me the only hotels 4 1/2 star were available for my stay was one in Vero Beach (what!) or I could go down to 3 star hotels in Miami. NO THANK YOU!!

This is not a nice surprise, and I told her to give me the refund. I did book the travel insurance though them, and she had to transfer me to the insurance company so they could refund my $10. This insurance doesn't do me any good, when I have no hotel! The guy from that company, Alianz, said, oh I will do you a favor this one time and refund your $10. This doesn't even make sense for him to say that, since I did not cancel my hotel, either the Shelborne or Hotwire did!

Anyway, from now on I'll pay the extra and not book with Hotwire,

That's nuts.

I once had a problem with hotwire and went all the way up the food chain until they compensated me how I wanted. I know it is too late now but keep asking for supervisors and eventually you'll like the outcome.

FWIW, hotwire should have rebooked you at THEIR expense.

That's crazy, I would be sure Hotwire knew they lost my business. I've used Hotels.com for many many years and never had an issue. I like to rack up the free nights. The problem is we use VRBO/AirBnB more so it's hard to get my hotel nights accumulated.

You should be getting a full refund, AND they should be booking you into another hotel and comping you for your inconvienience

Totally agree with this statement. With how the prices have risen, they should be swallowing the loss and placing you elsewhere for free.

You've got me nervous now! I am having a recollection of our 1st cruise from FLL back in 2012 where the hotel was over booked. It was happening as an influx of vacationers were trying to register in at the same time. There were a lot of unhappy people! Luckily we were able to stay, but others were whisked away to a sister hotel, and I don't know what anyone agreed upon.

I plan to call our hotel tomorrow to at least validate our booking for March 11. I booked two rooms at the River Side Hotel. I don't know what my plan B will be, but THANKS for the heads up!

I emailed the hotel, and they said they had about 1/2 of their rooms damaged from the hurricane, and it is water damage that was not discovered until recently. (mold).

I'm glad I'm not staying in a moldy room, but you all are correct. I feel Hotwire should have booked me in an equal or better room at their expense. Well that did not happen, and they lost a good customer.

I booked another room at a nice hotel, and I will enjoy it!

I emailed the hotel, and they said they had about 1/2 of their rooms damaged from the hurricane, and it is water damage that was not discovered until recently. (mold).

I'm glad I'm not staying in a moldy room, but you all are correct. I feel Hotwire should have booked me in an equal or better room at their expense. Well that did not happen, and they lost a good customer.

Perfect!! I’m glad you found other accommodations. You have the right attitude too. Have a wonderful vacation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wasn't there a storm, say, last September? and they were taking reservations for January? I'm guessing, just guessing, because I had not heard of any other hotel damaged. We were there last November, and wouldn't have a clue if a storm has passed two months before. Especially if HALF the rooms in the hotel were damaged. Hmmmm. Would make me wonder....

I don't know your exact dates, but I just did a mock booking for Jan 27 -31 and they are showing availability, nothing about any "damage"

Edited by myfuzzy

Wasn't there a storm, say, last September? and they were taking reservations for January? I'm guessing, just guessing, because I had not heard of any other hotel damaged. We were there last November, and wouldn't have a clue if a storm has passed two months before. Especially if HALF the rooms in the hotel were damaged. Hmmmm. Would make me wonder....

I don't know your exact dates, but I just did a mock booking for Jan 27 -31 and they are showing availability, nothing about any "damage"

Yes, say, there WAS a storm last September and the Ritz-Carlton a couple doors down has still not reopened from damage.

Water damage is a funny thing and mold can go undetected for weeks.

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the Riverside on Oct 16th and Our room smelled. It was pretty noticeable, but since we were only there for one night I figured I could handle the faint smell. So I noticed the smell within a month after the hurricane. The worst smell was coming from the upholstered chair. It smelled like a sour dishrag.