Pre-baby pregant mumma cruise

mattson

Pregnant* - apologies for incorrect spelling in threat title

Hi All,

My DW is going to be about 20 weeks pregnant at time of our March 17th cruise on the NCL Escape. We've been given Doctor sign-off and everything so far is in order for a normal pregnancy.

I'm wondering if anyone here has cruised NCL (Escape or otherwise) in roughly the same stages of pregnancy, and if so - any tips/gotchas you found during your holiday.

This is our second baby, so we're across most of the basics as far as eating etc (she's upset the buffets are out) exercise and shore excursions that aren't too physical etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced cruising whilst pregnant.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mattson
incorrect spelling in thread title

Pregnant* - apologies for incorrect spelling in threat title

Hi All,

My DW is going to be about 20 weeks pregnant at time of our March 17th cruise on the NCL Escape. We've been given Doctor sign-off and everything so far is in order for a normal pregnancy.

I'm wondering if anyone here has cruised NCL (Escape or otherwise) in roughly the same stages of pregnancy, and if so - any tips/gotchas you found during your holiday.

This is our second baby, so we're across most of the basics as far as eating etc (she's upset the buffets are out) exercise and shore excursions that aren't too physical etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced cruising whilst pregnant.

Cheers,

Matt

My wife and I cruised on the getaway when she was about the same level of pregnancy, it was great. Did your doctor clear you to take a cruise to Zika countries? I had read somewhere that the zika outbreak was sort of burning itself out but didn't know if doctors were yet ok with it.

You may want a doctor's note that is only 20 weeks pregnant. You are just under the cut-off where NCL would deny your wife boarding.

You may want a doctor's note that is only 20 weeks pregnant. You are just under the cut-off where NCL would deny your wife boarding.

Yes - We'll be getting one of these - as it is close to the 24 week cut-off - thanks

My wife and I cruised on the getaway when she was about the same level of pregnancy, it was great. Did your doctor clear you to take a cruise to Zika countries? I had read somewhere that the zika outbreak was sort of burning itself out but didn't know if doctors were yet ok with it.

Was not aware of the Zika outbreak news... I'll check with our doctor on next weeks visit

I cruised with my husband when I was 24 weeks pregnant — this was before cruise lines changed the rules from 28 weeks to 24 weeks.

We did several excursions on our trip. However, we mistakenly did a river cruise in Belize. The boat had no shade and we were on the river for at least 2 hours. I got overheated and had to lay down in the boat. It was awful — I wouldn’t recommend it. In Roatan, we did a beach excursion. We were able to swim and snorkel right off the beach. It was nice and relaxing. We also visited Cozumel, and I took it easy and mainly just shopped in that port.

I was worried about being seasick, so prior to going on the cruise I talked with my OB/GYN and she prescribed Phenergan. It was a topical medicine that I rubbed on my wrists and belly when I started feeling queasy. I was past the morning sickness stage, so I could tell when it was the seas. I used the medicine about three or four times and it really worked. A side effect when using the medicine was it made me sleepy and I’d take a couple hours nap.

It was a wonderful vacation for my husband and me before having our son.

Congrats on expecting! Hope you and your wife have a wonderful vacation.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I wouldn't think to contradict your doctor, and I don't know the food safety regulations in Oz, I would like to point out some facts concerning the buffet line on cruise ships calling at US ports.

All cruise ships that call at US ports are required to adhere to the USPH/CDC's VSP (Vessel Sanitation Plan) with regards to all types of shipboard sanitation, including food safety. In the case of the POA, it is governed by the US FDA, not the USPH/CDC, though the protocols are almost identical.

The USPH/CDC are quite aware of the possibility of pathogen growth in food in buffet lines, so the VSP specifically takes this into account. "Potentially hazardous food" (dairy, proteins, etc) must be under one of two types of control to prevent the growth of pathogens. Temperature control means that the food is in a device where the temperature can be controlled, and monitored, constantly, to keep the PHF out of the danger zone (40*F to 140*F). Once food is taken out of a temperature control device (oven, refrigerator, warming cart), it comes under "time control". Time control is used for buffet hot and cold serving lines, as well as the plating line in the main galley for the MDR food. For the MDR, food is placed into steam tables and plated from these pans, and they cannot control the temperature of the steam table, since it is open to the air. Time control requires that all food, once placed in time control, must be discarded within 4 hours if unused, and cannot be returned to temperature control.

This means that all PHF, even things like an unopened yogurt container, that has been on an ice bed in the buffet line, must be discarded after 4 hours. 4 hours is the internationally recognized time frame for whether PHF is safe to eat when it may have been in the danger zone.

Just putting this out there if you wish to discuss with your doctor. Most USPH/CDC inspectors are former local/state health inspectors (many from large cities like LA and NYC), and they routinely tell me that they would prefer to eat on cruise ships because of the strict sanitation protocols, over the vast majority of land restaurants.

I noted in your post with the link, that you mentioned "pre-prepared food", and would like to point out that for cruise ships, most food is not cooked to order but is prepared in large quantities and placed on steam table lines where the staff plate your meal from. The specialty dining venues are more like a land restaurant where food is cooked to order.

It wasn't a cruise, but I went hiking in Costa Rica when I was 28 weeks pregnant with my first.

Agree with earlier suggestions to make sure your excursions offer at the minimum a lot of shade, or ability to swim to cool of, or a/c.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned were compression hose. Those ugly knee high really tight socks. They were lifesaving throughout pregnancy (I have a job where I work up to 30 hour shifts) but also really great for air travel (both for preventing leg swelling AND reducing risk of blood clots in the legs which are more common in pregnancy). Additionally they could be useful on the cruise for helping leg swelling that might occur due to the saltier food + pregnancy. You can buy them for less than $10 a pair, they wash easily in the sink and dry very quickly so only a couple pairs would be needed.

I cruised at about 21 weeks same time of year too. As other posters stated, definitely have shade and a/c options for shore excursions. My advice would be to have her keep hydrated. More water than usual. Dehydration can cause pre-term labor. Increase normal water intake...really really important and not mentioned enough to pregnant women.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By "about" 20 weeks you mean what? At 24 weeks she will not be allowed to cruise. If she is that close you might want to have paperwork that states how far along she is.

The best thing to do is to get paperwork now, then email a copy of that paperwork to the access desk so they have it on file for you, then you will be hassle-free when you check in. That's what we did. (Bring a copy with you just in case though).

By "about" 20 weeks you mean what? At 24 weeks she will not be allowed to cruise. If she is that close you might want to have paperwork that states how far along she is.

by about - I mean - we'll be 19 weeks on the Wednesday prior to the cruise departure. So 19.4~ weeks on embarkation day, and 20 weeks on the Wednesday mid-cruise and 20.4~ weeks on disembarkation day.

So throughout the cruise, we'll be under NCL's 24 week cut-off... so no worries there.

We have planned on getting the Doctor signoff letter and I'll follow offered suggestions of submitting prior to NCL and keeping a copy on hand during embarkation day.

Just putting this out there if you wish to discuss with your doctor.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll bring it up with our doctor during our next week's visit. It should make for an interesting discussion I'm sure.

1st baby? I’m guessing that due to the strict diet suggestions. By the way, the MDR and O’Sheehan’s would also be ruled out based on what you are saying. Pretty much she will have to skip breakfast and lunches. You might ask the doc how healthy that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1st baby? I’m guessing that due to the strict diet suggestions.

It says in the original post that this is their second...

Regarding Zika - of course check with your doctor, but this was a major topic when I got married in Mexico in 2016 (both of my SILs were pregnant at the time) so I spent a lot of time talking with health professionals/researching. If you're not planning to go into a wooded/jungle area, you should be fine with some bug spray.

Do they ask on the forms? Cuz no way do I see them asking based on a visual inspection. My guess is easily over 50% of the guests could pass for 24 weeks pregnant. Shoot, I could probably pass as early pregnant and I'm a guy.

Anyways, it's been a while and my wife cruised while pregnant. I remember us skipping certain things like deli meat and sushi, but she ate at the buffet. Like a PP mentioned, the safety standards on a cruise ship are FAR better than many land restaurants.