Euros in Martinique ??

boscobeans

I have always used U.SD. $$ or credit cards in Martinique and never had any problem.

Thank you. I know it is the official currency but have gotten different answers and am glad someone who has actually been there responded. We will be basically shopping in and around the port and will use plastic as well..

Thanks again

bosco

If you already have some Euro by all means bring and use them but it's not really necessary. In order to get small amounts of local currency for miscellaneous purchases we will go into a shop near the pier and purchase something with a value of maybe $5 using a US $20 bill. Change is given in the local currency.

You can use either dollars or Euros in Martinique. But there are times when using dollars will cost you additional money because a merchant is not giving you the best exchange rate. If you have a credit card with no foreign exchange fees....this can often be a better option then using US Dollars. Another little hint about Martinique is that many on the island are proud of their French connection. So, when entering a shop or restaurant it is proper to always say "Bonjour" with a smile. Many here in North America do not normally issue a greeting when entering shops....but in Martinique (and in France) this is the norm and considered good manners.

Hank

Everywhere I've been in Europe and the Caribbean it's been customary to greet the owners/workers. I tend to do it here in the states, too. I know! What a radical idea! Saying Hello or Good Morning to someone in a shop or store! ;)

I have some leftover Euros from a Med cruise and plan on taking them to Martinique. I've booked an independent tour and will need them to pay the guide and purchase any food or beverages along the way.

I also hope to find an ATM to withdraw some additional funds. I'll be on a B2B TA next spring and would like to have Euros before I go. I've found ATMs to have the best exchange rate.