QM2 - 3 specific enquiries!

OffTheRails

Hi all,

I'm getting uber excited about my first TA on QM2 in just over a fortnight! It's actually my first time on anything bigger/fancier than the Hull-Rotterdam ferry, so I've gleaned a lot of useful info as a newbie on this board.

I was hoping some of you kind souls might be able to help me out with some pretty specific questions please:

1) is there a face cloth/flannel included in the towel provision in the staterooms? I could bring from home but needing clean and dry ones each night would mean either packing lots of them or spending a lot more time washing and drying than I'd ideally like to! I'm in a standard class cabin if that makes a difference

2) we're due to board at 2.30pm, what will be our options for food when we board? We'll have boarded the shuttlebus in Glasgow at 3.45am that morning so I fully expect to be ravenous!

3) is there a housekeeping team looking after the cabin in addition to the steward? I want to leave thank you cards/tip/Scottish sweeties for anyone doing the room and don't want to miss them out if so

Any advice gratefully received - thanks and happy travels to all!

You'll have the time of your life on QM2 !

Yes there are face cloths provided in the bathroom in all category staterooms ( something I never use, but always useful for wiping around the sink and steamed up mirror

Yes you will be able to have Lunch in the King Court ( that's the self service buffet) However, as soon as you board the ship, drop off your hand luggage and go to the buffet 'as soon as you can'. It will be crowded on embarkation day and will close early due to life boat/muster drill etc.

I wouldn't worry about gifts for the 'Housekeeping executive', look after your cabin steward/ss. If you want spoil anyone, lookout for the guys & gals who vacuum the public areas each day ( the stair wells etc) ...those wonderful crew members who bid you good morning each day .;)

We have just returned from our first Cunard cruise, on the QM2 to the Norwegian fjords - we LOVED it. Our previous cruises were with RCCL but we shall not be returning to them. It has a class and ambience that we thoroughly enjoyed, I hope you have a wonderful time.

We have just returned from our first Cunard cruise, on the QM2 to the Norwegian fjords - we LOVED it. Our previous cruises were with RCCL but we shall not be returning to them. It has a class and ambience that we thoroughly enjoyed, I hope you have a wonderful time.
That's good to hear, thank you for reporting back.

OP,

Have a wonderful time.

King's Court buffet is extremely busy on sail-away day. It's where a lot of people go to get their late lunch.

Lunch in the King's Court has extended hours on sail day: 11:30 to 16:30 (usually lunch ends at 15:00 on sea days).

Dinner service starts at 17:00 in the King's Court (17:30 on sea days).

Room service is not available before 11:00 am on embark/disembark day; otherwise it's 24 hours - and complementary

The Chef's Galley (within the King's Court) serves burgers and sandwiches noon to 16:30 and pizza & pasta from 17:00 to 22:00 on turn-around day.

The Golden Lion pub serves lunch (food free, drinks you pay for) noon to 14:30 on sail day (usually 11:30 to 14:30 on sea days).

The Winter Garden lounge serves light food at various times of the day but I'm afraid I don't know if they have lunch items on turn-around day. Can anyone advise, please?

Sir Samuel's café is open all day on turn-around days (and sea days), from 7:00 am. Light bites here; charges apply.

Sadly, afternoon tea in the Queen's Ballroom is not served on turn-around day. Nor is the Boardwalk café open that day.

Hi all,

I'm getting uber excited about my first TA on QM2 in just over a fortnight! It's actually my first time on anything bigger/fancier than the Hull-Rotterdam ferry, so I've gleaned a lot of useful info as a newbie on this board.

I was hoping some of you kind souls might be able to help me out with some pretty specific questions please:

1) is there a face cloth/flannel included in the towel provision in the staterooms? I could bring from home but needing clean and dry ones each night would mean either packing lots of them or spending a lot more time washing and drying than I'd ideally like to! I'm in a standard class cabin if that makes a difference

2) we're due to board at 2.30pm, what will be our options for food when we board? We'll have boarded the shuttlebus in Glasgow at 3.45am that morning so I fully expect to be ravenous!

3) is there a housekeeping team looking after the cabin in addition to the steward? I want to leave thank you cards/tip/Scottish sweeties for anyone doing the room and don't want to miss them out if so

Any advice gratefully received - thanks and happy travels to all!

You will find plenty of towels and face cloths in your cabin just so you know used towels should be left on the floor in the bathroom that way the Steward will know ro replace them.Toiletries are also provided. The Kings Court is excellent. Hope you love your cruise one of my favorite things to do is have lunch at the Boardwalk Cafe it is at the top of the ship and away from it all. I will be on board again in November and counting the days. I always suggest bringing your own coffee/tea for the cabin perhaps a french press or coffee bags as the coffee provided is not very pleasant and another suggestion is to bring air freshener for your cabin to freshen the air. By the way I live 20 mins. away from New York but I used to live in Airdrie, Edinburgh and Lanark.

Post-refit, there's an electric pot for tea or instant coffee provided in Britannia cabins (and the provided coffee gets reviews as bad as the Pol Aker sparkling wine given at boarding.)

If you board earlier, you may be also able to catch the lunch in the Golden Lion Pub, which is always a nice alternative during the trip. (Check the Daily Programme which will be in your cabin when you board) [edit - I just realized it was mentioned above, but I'm leaving it because it's still a good idea]

Thankfully, we've never felt the need for air freshener aboard, but if that's a sensitive area for you...

Is there a coffee maker in the “cheap” cabins? Or is the coffee in the dining room, buffet and other free eating establishments “not very pleasant”?

Yes you get coffee in the "cheap" cabins. Maybe we should also ask for peanuts so we could throw them at the grills :rolleyes::confused:

Is there a coffee maker in the “cheap” cabins? Or is the coffee in the dining room, buffet and other free eating establishments “not very pleasant”?

I found it to be unpleasant just in the cabin as it is instant. Everywhere else is fine but remember you can also order coffee from room service which is good it is just that instant stuff. As for air freshener although I always travel having a balcony for some reason I always feel the cabin air to be a bit stuffy and that is why I suggested bring air freshner so as to just freshen the air a bit.

I did not realize that Room Service was available on embarkation/turn around day after 11:00 am on QM2. Kings Court is always so busy.

For those who have used it, is there usually a long wait? I know each cruise can be different.

Don't remember it being any longer than other times we used room service. About 30 minutes give or take.

Well you learn something new every day .. In all the years I've been sailing Cunard (at least three voyages/cruises per year) I was unaware that Room Service has been available on 'turn around /embarkation days',ex Southampton or NY for joining guests. Is this also for Britannia Guests or only available in the Grills ? and is this only available on Fly Med cruises. ? (I always understood that Room service was available for all guests after the general life drill muster) Has anyone else experienced room service on joining days, rather than the usual bun fight in the buffet etc ;)

I understand room service (morning breakfast etc) has always been available on disembarkation days for 'In- Transit' guests only , but not available for disembarking guests.