Selecting Specialty Restaurants

ggo85

We're splurging for a RS on Reflection to celebrate a milestone anniversary. I know we get Luminae as well as unlimited dining at specialty restaurants. I've looked at the menus and all look terrific.

Would love some advice on whether to sample all restaurants about twice each (just rotate through) or whether we should "concentrate" on a few -- and, if so, which ones. The one that doesn't seem to match our tastes is Qsine but if others think it's a "must," we'd try it. We prefer quality over quantity -- aren't looking to stuff ourselves but also aren't food snobs. Appreciate good food and service -- and eating at a table for two.

Personally we find Qsine fun if we are with a group of 6-8; for the 2 of us we pass on it.

Our favorite on the Reflection is the Lawn Grill. It is on the casual side, and outside. We have had excellent meals here; DH cooked our steaks there the last time. I would say if you want a elegant meal try Murano. We haven't tried the Porch or Sushi on 5 as I can't eat seafood. Tuscan has a very good filet, pastas are so-so. Luminae is excellent, in our opinion better than the speciality restaurants so when we are in a Suite we don't go to the specialities often.

The speciality restaurants occasionally do a lunch on sea days so another way to try these restaurants.

I agree, try them all at least once, including Qsine. This is not just a stuff yourself place. It is fun and the quality of the food is excellent. It is much better with a larger group as you can sample more items, but we love the "painter's filet mignon" where you paint the sauce on, and the other samplings plus dessert.

We also tried the lawn club and it's very nice. Sitting outside and eating is wonderful.

Since you are in a suite, have your butler serve you a private dinner out on your balcony. Talk about romantic. It can't be beat. :D Of course eating breakfast on the balcony in a suite is also great. They will set it up for you with the table cloth and you can eat while watching the world sail by.

Enjoy

Thre are too many factors to consider. Trying to plan everything in advance may give you something to do and for many adds to the whole cruise experience but wouldn't etch anything in stone, rely, or depend on it.

Once on board after a day or so I am sure that you will have it figured out.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Thanks. The shore concierge sent sample menus. The Luminae menu looks terrific but listed only 5 entrees. Is it the same food every night or does the menu change during the course of the cruise? Not that we couldn't enjoy eating those options every night but curious if it's more like a specialty restaurant or more like the MDR in that the choices are different each nite.

Also, will we need reservations for Luminae or can we just show up?

Appreciate all the help. This is our first time on Celebrity and every cruise line is obviously somewhat different.

Luminae has 14 (maybe 15) menus that they rotate during the cruise so you will have different options every night. Unless you are on a 7 day B2B then the same 7 menus will repeat during the 2nd week. Lunch has 3 or 4 menus and breakfast just one but there are a lot of choices. Dessert menus also change nightly.

They do not take reservations. Sometimes they will ask you to indicate a general time you like to dine but you are not held to that. We've never waited more than 5 minutes, and that was because they were setting a window table for us.

You will love your Royal Suite on Celebrity. Make sure they know you are celebrating an anniversary.

Thanks. The shore concierge sent sample menus. The Luminae menu looks terrific but listed only 5 entrees. Is it the same food every night or does the menu change during the course of the cruise? Not that we couldn't enjoy eating those options every night but curious if it's more like a specialty restaurant or more like the MDR in that the choices are different each nite.

Also, will we need reservations for Luminae or can we just show up?

Appreciate all the help. This is our first time on Celebrity and every cruise line is obviously somewhat different.

The menu changes each night for the Luminae and you also have the option to order from the MDR menu.

I would ask the Conceirge in the Michael's club for copies of the Luminae menu, so you decide if there are particular nights you want to dine in Luminae. You should try it at least once and dinner IMO. I would dine in Murano's twice, Tuscan, and The Lawn Grill for dinner. I would also have lunch in the Porch, Lawn Grill, and Sushi on Five. (On sea days)

We stayed in a RS last year for a 15 day TA and we stilled dined in Luminae about 50% of the time. No reservations needed for Luminae. The Porch was our favorite location for lunch because of the view and service. It was never really busy.

I would also suggest you enjoy room service breakfast a few times.

Enjoy and congratulations.

The only suggestion I would have is if you want to do specialty dining, definitely reserve before you sail. When we got on the Equinox a couple of weeks ago, the only times left in the specialty restaurants were 8:30pm or later and that's way too late for me and my 12 year old to eat dinner. Oh, and if you do qsine, eat lightly during the day-it's not so much "stuff yourself" as it is wanting to try all the really cool stuff they offer. It's tons of fun-the presentations of the food (not huge portions-more like tapas style) is the best part.

Room service breakfast was convenient, but if you think you're going to be hungry, be sure to order at least 2 of whatever you want. They seem to take that number literally. I thought 1 in the bacon column meant 1 serving of bacon (should be 2 or 3 slices), not 1 slice of bacon. LOL.

My favorites on the Solstice Class ships are Tuscan Grille and Lawn Club. It took me several cruises to want to try Tuscan Grille - steak? Italian food? Doesn't sound that exciting, but it's really one of the best dining experiences on the boat, with a beautiful view as an added bonus. Their calamari is out of this world.

Lawn Club has always been a great way to end the cruise for me when I've been up to my eyeballs in fancy food all week. Do not miss the skillet chocolate cookie for dessert.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sushi on Five - I agree with a previous poster, it's a great choice for lunch on a sea day.

I've been lucky enough to be able to eat at Luminae on several cruises now and I have to say it has been better each time. Don't forget that you can order from the main dining room menu if you don't see anything that grabs you on their main menu. They're willing to do simple substitutions like swapping out sides. They also have a really fun dessert cart on formal, er, Elegant Chic nights. My favorite activity is checking out the menu of the day in Michael's Club in advance... drives my husband crazy... :-)

Murano is a wonderful experience if you've never gone before but you have to be prepared to spend a while there - not the choice when you're rushing to a show after or anything. We were lucky enough to have a great dinner there with a waiter we'd bonded with on a previous cruise but haven't been back. I agree with other posters' comments that Qsine is a bit much for 2 people and I feel like the concept hasn't aged well, the novelty of ordering on a (now ancient) iPad has worn off. Celebrity Equinox still has the Asian restaurant that preceded Qsine on the Solstice class ships and it is out of this world - I wish it could make a comeback!

Finally, another vote for the room service breakfasts! They are the best! Hope you have a blast on your cruise eating EVERYTHING!!!!

We stayed in the RS on Reflection last summer. We were on Reflection again this summer. Our favorite specialty restaurants were Tuscan Grill and Qsine. Hope you try both. When booking Tuscan, ask if Ignacious (waiter) is available, and if so, request his services. He's terrific!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, try them all at least once, including Qsine. This is not just a stuff yourself place. It is fun and the quality of the food is excellent. It is much better with a larger group as you can sample more items, but we love the "painter's filet mignon" where you paint the sauce on, and the other samplings plus dessert.

We also tried the lawn club and it's very nice. Sitting outside and eating is wonderful.

Since you are in a suite, have your butler serve you a private dinner out on your balcony. Talk about romantic. It can't be beat. :D Of course eating breakfast on the balcony in a suite is also great. They will set it up for you with the table cloth and you can eat while watching the world sail by.

Enjoy

Two points, keep in mind if you do dinner in your room it will come from the Main Dining Room, so pick a good night.

Also, you may also want to try Blu the Aqua Spa restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Their breakfast's are wonderful. Dinner is allowed on a space available basis and is free.

My Qsine tip, try to stay away from the bread they bring you up front and save the room for the real food. Go short on apps and order more of the meaty stuff. They try to fill you up on the fluff but resist it if at all possible, saving room for the good stuff, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks before sailing you should get an email from the shore concierge. We actually didn't book at that time. We booked with the Michael's Club concierge the day we boarded and were fine.

If you're willing to eat early (before 7) or late (after 8:30), you should have an easy time booking even late in the game.