Press Release: Nieuw Statendam Completes Sea Trials

LoveHAL

The Press Release below is dated August 28th. It is great news for those booked on the Premiere Voyage (we already 137 Cruise Critic members on our Roll-Call). Thought you might like to read it:

=================================

Holland America Line’s Nieuw Statendam Reaches Milestone and Successfully Completes Sea Trials

Seattle, Wash., Aug. 28,2018 — Holland America Line’sNieuw Statendam, the second Pinnacle Class ship in the fleet, returnedto Fincantieri’s Marghera shipyard in Italy Wednesday, Aug. 22, aftersuccessfully completing two sets of sea trials off the coast.

Nieuw Statendam left Marghera Aug. 10 and performed the first set of sea trialsover two days before going into dry dock at Fincantieri’s Trieste shipyard,where the trial’s data was reviewed and standard hull maintenance wasperformed. The ship sailed its second sea trials Aug. 18, making its way backto Marghera Aug. 22 where the finishing touches will be completed.

“The sea trials are ahighly anticipated milestone for any newbuild because it takes us one stepcloser to delivery, and we’re thrilled that Nieuw Statendam gave a strongperformance out in open water,” said Orlando Ashford, Holland America Line’spresident. “There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Nieuw Statendam and theinnovations we’re introducing on board. The ship is going to have an excitingdebut in early December.”

During the sea trials, NieuwStatendam underwent a series of performance tests on the ship’s systems,machinery and engines. The shipyard’s team of nautical officers, navalarchitects, engineering officers and builders tested the ship’s maneuveringcharacteristics and safety systems.

About Nieuw Statendam

Due for delivery Dec. 1,2018, Nieuw Statendam will explore the Caribbean in winter and then moveto northern Europe, Iceland and the Mediterranean in summer during itsinaugural year. The 2,666-guest, 99,500-ton ship will reflect the ongoingevolution of Holland America Line. From familiar elements that reflect a richheritage and classic style to state-of-the-art enhancements that chart a boldnew course forward, guests on board Nieuw Statendam will delight indetails that are artfully inspired and perfectly presented to create theultimate Pinnacle-class experience.

While much of the ship’sdesign will be similar to Koningsdam, the first Pinnacle Class ship, NieuwStatendam will have exclusive public spaces and its own style created byleading hospitality designer Adam D. Tihany and designer and architect BjørnStorbraaten. The ship will feature all of the hallmarks of Pinnacle-Classdesign: grand, light-filled spaces; visual drama; and sumptuous interiorsinspired by the fluid curves of musical instruments.

Holland America Line’sfirst ship to be called Statendam sailed in 1898, and this will be thesixth ship in the company’s history to carry the name. In combining the Dutchword for "new" with the classic "Statendam," HollandAmerica Line celebrates the company’s past, present and future.

Too bad they didn't include some pictures.

Even better, there's a video. Google it and it should pop up.
But clearly most if not all of it is on the Koningsdam, not the NS.

One thing that struck me as odd was the shot of a steward walking down the promenade with what appears to be a pot of coffee. Where's he going by that route? Did someone sitting on one of the few wooden benches order coffee? Will room service deliver out there if they did? :confused:

One thing that struck me as odd was the shot of a steward walking down the promenade with what appears to be a pot of coffee. Where's he going by that route? Did someone sitting on one of the few wooden benches order coffee? Will room service deliver out there if they did? :confused:

Haha. Had me fooled. Sneaky devils!

To the master of the ship, no doubt! ;p

Wait, are we talking about the same video? I couldn't find the steward. And the ship says Nieuw Statendam on almost every angle. And it looks visibly unfinished. Unless HAL took the time to digitally impose the name, color me convinced.

Here is a sentence that needs explanation: Does this mean it will have "ship within a ship public spaces" that are open only to certain passengers? Or does it mean it will have public spaces that are unique (exclusive) only to this new ship, and are not found on her sister ship the Konigsdam?

While much of the ship’sdesign will be similar to Koningsdam, the first Pinnacle Class ship, NieuwStatendam will have exclusive public spaces and its own style created byleading hospitality designer Adam D. Tihany and designer and architect BjørnStorbraaten. The ship will feature all of the hallmarks of Pinnacle-Classdesign: grand, light-filled spaces; visual drama; and sumptuous interiorsinspired by the fluid curves of musical instruments.

I mis-typed Nieuw Amsterdam for Nieuw Statendam. Totally agree: the Nieuw Amsterdam is a magnificent vessel and I am looking forward to sailing on Nieuw Statendam in the New Year.

Easy faux pas to make RKA; Enjoy Nieuw Amst, I mean Statendam VI in 2019 :cool:

Wait, are we talking about the same video? I couldn't find the steward. And the ship says Nieuw Statendam on almost every angle. And it looks visibly unfinished. Unless HAL took the time to digitally impose the name, color me convinced.
Probably not.
that I watched is definitely "visibly finished". It has many passengers showing in restaurants, on deck, in cabins, in the BBKing show, etc. It has place settings on every table in the MDR and a set table in Tamarind. It has crew in uniforms that I'm sure they are not currently wearing on the NS, and a chef making a fancy entree. It has art that is on the Koningsdam, and a string quartet playing. The steward with a tray with coffee is at the 1:23 mark. Those are the main things but there are others that tell me it is not the NS.

I looked at a couple of other shorter videos but again none looked "visibly unfinished" and showed art that I know is on the K-dam.

Please post a link to the video that you are referring to.

Probably not.
that I watched is definitely "visibly finished". It has many passengers showing in restaurants, on deck, in cabins, in the BBKing show, etc. It has place settings on every table in the MDR and a set table in Tamarind. It has crew in uniforms that I'm sure they are not currently wearing on the NS, and a chef making a fancy entree. It has art that is on the Koningsdam, and a string quartet playing. The steward with a tray with coffee is at the 1:23 mark. Those are the main things but there are others that tell me it is not the NS.

I looked at a couple of other shorter videos but again none looked "visibly unfinished" and showed art that I know is on the K-dam.

Please post a link to the video that you are referring to.

Ha! Sorry, I have to laugh. The video you linked to is the promotional video that's been out for several months. Yes, it is 100% Koningsdam.

is the one showing N.S.'s recent sea trials. I saw it attached to at least one news article. It seems accurate. And as you can see, nobody is serving coffee on the promenade. :D

Fincantieri who, at this point, still owns Nieuw Statendam, puts out these aerial videos of their new ships outbound from Marghera for promotional purposes. They hire a helo and crew and off they go. Her exterior is all cleaned up already compared to the earlier pics

Here's the one (shorter clip) of Koningsdam in 2016

Fincantieri who, at this point, still owns Nieuw Statendam, puts out these aerial videos of their new ships outbound from Marghera for promotional purposes. They hire a helo and crew and off they go. Her exterior is all cleaned up already compared to the earlier pics

Here's the one (shorter clip) of Koningsdam in 2016

good to know! I was wondering why HAL wanted aerial shots of an unfinished ship. Makes sense that it's the shipbuilder's doing. I suppose it might also provide other diagnostic data to ensure she's sailing just right.

is the one showing N.S.'s recent sea trials. I saw it attached to at least one news article. It seems accurate. And as you can see, nobody is serving coffee on the promenade. :D
Thanks! I'm anxious to see some interior shots!