What side of the ship for New England & Canada?

phabric

You will get some responses from people who have actually done this route, I have not. However, I have sailed other coasts (like the west coast, and Alaska/Canada) and the ship is generally sailing several miles out from shore (to allow gambling and the stores to open) so which side you are on makes no difference in my experience.

The only possible time I can comment on that there would be any advantage as far as the view might be approaching Bar Harbor. Arcadia and Cadillac Mountain would be on the port side; but of course, it will be on the starboard at departure! On that note - if you do any tours of Arcadia, sit on the driver's side of the trolley or bus. The park loop road is one-way, clockwise, so the shoreline views wil alll be on your left.

I have to disagree with the side of the bus. We took Oli’s Trolley and sat behind the driver. The best views were on the other side and Iwas not able to get many good photo shots from the bus.

Not sure about Celebrity's schedule as we were on Royal Caribbean for our cruise and our cabins were on the starboard side of the ship. But sailing north, the scenic Head lighthouse outside of Portland Maine is only visible from the port side. Even though it was early in the morning, I made sure to be on the port side of the ship to get some great photos as we would be passing at night during our return trip.

If you're looking at the Celebrity itinerary, it won't matter as most of the time you will be too far from shore. What you miss on one side on the way up you will see on the way back. It's a fabulous cruise!

Not totally so. On way back you take a sea day and a half from Halifax to New Jersey so go nowhere near Bar Harbor or Portland. We were on starboard and the way the ship docked in Quebec we had beautiful view of the old city while port was looking out over an industrial area.

I have to disagree with the side of the bus. We took Oli’s Trolley and sat behind the driver. The best views were on the other side and Iwas not able to get many good photo shots from the bus.

I concur with Denby. On the Oli Trolley do not sit on drivers side. We were at Acadia National Park 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well now you both have me very confused. I have spent at least week in Bar Harbor/Acadia every summer since i was a child - and that was many moons ago, lol! I was there for 8 days just last month.

As you complete Park Loop road the entire ocean portion is two-lane, one-way only; clockwise. Was not the ocean on your left (as is the driver)? That means the views of the Town of Bar Harbor, Bar Island, Frenchmen's Bay, Sand Beach, The Stack, Thunder Hole, Great Head, Otter Clifs, Otter Cove, etc are all on the left, The right side would provide glimpses of woods, Cadillac Mtn., The Beehive. In the image linked below the highlighted route from the intersection just after the red arrow to the southernmost point is the one-way

https://www.barharbormagic.com/images-maps/park-loop.gif

Unless of course you took a shorter tour that did not include the Park Loop - maybe up the summit of Cadillac - in which case the best views are on the right side going up. Did the driver sit on the right? Did you sit directly behind the driver?

Please help me make sense of your comments,

We have done three Canada/New England cruises, and I don't think it matters as to which side of the ship the stateroom is located. For instance there are multiple docks in Quebec City so the ship could be docked right at Lower Town or out in the industrial area (and shuttles are used).

Sippican. We went to the top of Cadillac mountain (by car). Everything was off to the right going up & down. We turned right at the stop coming off Cadillac & followed the trolley. Everything scenic was on the right. It led back to the Visitor Center. We did not turn left & go down the rest of the Loop Road this trip that would’ve put the scenic views on the left.

Sippican. We went to the top of Cadillac mountain (by car). Everything was off to the right going up & down. We turned right at the stop coming off Cadillac & followed the trolley. Everything scenic was on the right. It led back to the Visitor Center. We did not turn left & go down the rest of the Loop Road this trip that would’ve put the scenic views on the left.

Thank you! That makes sense. Some of the most scenic places in Acadia are along the shore on the Park Loop Road. Perhaps you'll return someday to see them.

My neighbor recently thanked me for the tip about where to sit, so I was not sure where you had been.

If you're looking at the Celebrity itinerary, it won't matter as most of the time you will be too far from shore. What you miss on one side on the way up you will see on the way back. It's a fabulous cruise!

That may be for most of the cruise, but our ship passed very close to the lighthouse in Portland. If I only could figure out how to load photos onto this website, I would post mine.

Where are you sailing to? If sailing to Quebec city I recommend full aft. We did a Quebec City round trip that did the St. Lawrence to the Maritimes then back again. When sailing down the river, you had the full panorama which was wonderful, especially with the fall colours. In addition, as the weather is cool, the aft was more sheltered from the wind and we could sit out on sunny days on our balcony when others could not.

Enjoy the trip! Halifax is lovely. I do enjoy Bar Harbour very much. If you go to Quebec City visit the cathedral and see the gold Louis 14 donated. Take the funicular from old town to upper town. Visit Signal Hill in St Johns Newfoundland. It's a lovely cruise. Savour the lobster and don't forget to have lots of butter with it!

• 3 weeks later...