Booked on board -- Now deposit NOT refundable

cherski

On the Oasis (Royal Caribbean) October 2014, we booked Equinox (Celebrity) April 2015. Now when we try to cancel (more than 90 days out), TA is being told by Celebrity that deposit is NOT refundable but has to be used for another booking.

This is definitely not what we were told on board the Oasis. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by cherski

If you booked a specific cruise your deposit is refundable. The only one that isn't is when you do an open booking that has not been assigned to any specific sailing. Tell your TA to speak to someone else, although your TA should know this as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are two programs in place now for booking on board.

Under the old way, which you can still do, the deposit comes off your credit card and is refundable.

Under the new program, they give you an instant OBC equal to the deposit on your credit card. This deposit is then non refundable.

On the Oasis (Royal Caribbean) October 2014, we booked Equinox (Celebrity) April 2015. Now when we try to cancel (more than 90 days out), TA is being told by Celebrity that deposit is NOT refundable but has to be used for another booking.

This is definitely not what we were told on board the Oasis. Has anyone else had this problem?

Is it possible that you booked under this program?

Caribbean Upgrade Offer (Shipboard Only) August 1, 2014

Choose your stateroom at time of booking A $50 to $500 non–refundable deposit per stateroom is required to enroll in the Program. The deposit schedule is the same as the Onboard Credit Schedule and is determined by category type, voyage length, and destination. Reservations may be cancelled but deposit would be forfeited as it is non–refundable. Reservations may be changed to another ship or sail date up to 90 days prior to Holiday sailings and 75 days for all other sailings.

Is it possible that you booked under this program?

Caribbean Upgrade Offer (Shipboard Only) August 1, 2014

Choose your stateroom at time of booking A $50 to $500 non–refundable deposit per stateroom is required to enroll in the Program. The deposit schedule is the same as the Onboard Credit Schedule and is determined by category type, voyage length, and destination. Reservations may be cancelled but deposit would be forfeited as it is non–refundable. Reservations may be changed to another ship or sail date up to 90 days prior to Holiday sailings and 75 days for all other sailings.

Interesting. If we did, it was done without our knowledge. What would be the advantage of this program? We would not have made the reservation if we had known this.

And, this was booking a transatlantic while on a transatlantic, so why would I need Caribbean upgrade?

Edited by cherski

Here is a link to all the T & C for the onboard booking.

http://celebrityonboardcruisesales.com/t&c.html

The only onboard bookings I have made have had a non-refundable deposit. The way my bookings worked is that if I cancelled a sailing, the deposit remained with Celebrity and could be used when I booked my next cruise.

If you have your documentation it should be clear which plan you have as well as the rules pertaining to the refund of the deposit.

Just curious, most folks book on board to get one of the onboard booking benefits. Since you didn't get the immediate OBC for the sailing you were on, which benefit did you get?

Edited by RickT

This entire thread is unfortunate....

Celebrity has so many different options, each with their own terms and conditions, many of which conflict with each other (combining perks) that no one understands them...and leading the pack on confusion are the shipboard sales reps who really seem to guess at things. TA's try to keep up, but that's almost impossible and they rely on calling celebrity to find out information. The folks they talk to are also confused.

That leads to two rules you must absolutely follow dealing with Celebrity:

Rule #1....get everything in writing....no one cares what the rep or anyone else said to you...they care what you have in writing. If you book with 1-2-3, make sure it says that on the piece of paper you leave with. If you asked if the deposit was fully refundable, make sure the paper says so.

Rule #2....read rule #1

Interesting. If we did, it was done without our knowledge. What would be the advantage of this program? We would not have made the reservation if we had known this.

And, this was booking a transatlantic while on a transatlantic, so why would I need Caribbean upgrade?

The advantage is that the entire deposit IS refunded. INSTANTLY to your OBC account. You can then take the OBC out in cash or to a refund to the credit card you have on file, or in cash when you settle the account. We look at them as a FREE deposit. Sure, it's non-refundable because you likely received it back already as OBC against your account.

This is the default method for current onboard bookings unless you specifically ask for the old method described by other posters above.

My advice is look at your statement from the cruise you booked it on, and match an OBC amount up with a charge to your credit card.

We don't care if it is non-refundable, as we already received it back.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The advantage is that the entire deposit IS refunded. INSTANTLY to your OBC account. You can then take the OBC out in cash or to a refund to the credit card you have on file, or in cash when you settle the account. We look at them as a FREE deposit. Sure, it's non-refundable because you likely received it back already as OBC against your account.

This is the default method for current onboard bookings unless you specifically ask for the old method described by other posters above.

My advice is look at your statement from the cruise you booked it on, and match an OBC amount up with a charge to your credit card.

We don't care if it is non-refundable, as we already received it back.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

No, as stated above, we did NOT receive an OBC for this deposit.

This entire thread is unfortunate....

Celebrity has so many different options, each with their own terms and conditions, many of which conflict with each other (combining perks) that no one understands them...and leading the pack on confusion are the shipboard sales reps who really seem to guess at things. TA's try to keep up, but that's almost impossible and they rely on calling celebrity to find out information. The folks they talk to are also confused.

That leads to two rules you must absolutely follow dealing with Celebrity:

Rule #1....get everything in writing....no one cares what the rep or anyone else said to you...they care what you have in writing. If you book with 1-2-3, make sure it says that on the piece of paper you leave with. If you asked if the deposit was fully refundable, make sure the paper says so.

Rule #2....read rule #1

Checked my booking confirmation and does not say if deposit is refundable nor does it say if deposit is nonrefundable.

Here is a link to all the T & C for the onboard booking.

http://celebrityonboardcruisesales.com/t&c.html

The only onboard bookings I have made have had a non-refundable deposit. The way my bookings worked is that if I cancelled a sailing, the deposit remained with Celebrity and could be used when I booked my next cruise.

If you have your documentation it should be clear which plan you have as well as the rules pertaining to the refund of the deposit.

Just curious, most folks book on board to get one of the onboard booking benefits. Since you didn't get the immediate OBC for the sailing you were on, which benefit , did you get?

Thanks for the link. I find it interesting that the deposit is clearly stated to be non-refundable for Cruise Later but not so clearly stated for Cruise Now. I have booked on board in the past and not had a problem getting refund in full back to my credit card. So I don't think that my confusion is unreasonable. Even my TA was surprised.

As for why we booked onboard ... we were on the Oasis Western Transatlantic and it was very disappointing. So we said let's go back to Celebrity. So it was just an Impulse Purchase, which we would not have done if we had any reason to believe that the deposit would be nonrefundable.

I know things have changed in the past 12 months. With "book now onboard" you pay say $300 immediately which is applied as a deposit on the cruise that you are booking and also same amount is applied as OBC to the cruise that you are on the time. In effect you get your $300 twice, once as OBC and once as a deposit. It would stand to reason that if you cancelled the future cruise then you would not get tbe $300 back because you have already spent it as your OBC.

Thanks for the link. I find it interesting that the deposit is clearly stated to be non-refundable for Cruise Later but not so clearly stated for Cruise Now. I have booked on board in the past and not had a problem getting refund in full back to my credit card. So I don't think that my confusion is unreasonable. Even my TA was surprised.

As for why we booked onboard ... we were on the Oasis Western Transatlantic and it was very disappointing. So we said let's go back to Celebrity. So it was just an Impulse Purchase, which we would not have done if we had any reason to believe that the deposit would be nonrefundable.

Since the booking receipt is your "contract" with Celebrity, if it is not stated as non-refundable, then they have to show why they think they can keep your deposit. Ask them to show you specifically where the "contract" says that the money is non-refundable....or alternatively, show you how you should have known it was non-refundable. "our sales agent should have explained it to you is not adequate."

I'd push on this one....and if you charged the deposit on your credit card, I'd discuss with your credit card company.

Since the booking receipt is your "contract" with Celebrity, if it is not stated as non-refundable, then they have to show why they think they can keep your deposit. Ask them to show you specifically where the "contract" says that the money is non-refundable....or alternatively, show you how you should have known it was non-refundable. "our sales agent should have explained it to you is not adequate."

I'd push on this one....and if you charged the deposit on your credit card, I'd discuss with your credit card company.

I dont agree. See my post #17. You have had benefit of the amount you paid by virtue of OBC of like value that was added to the cruise you were on when you booked this future cruise that you are now wanting to cancel and get the money back. If it was refundable then folks could book a "cruise now" , get and spend the OBC and then cancel, without ever having any intention of actually taking the next cruise. The whole exercise designed just to get the free OBC. The old saying "cannot have your cake and eat it". You can however transfer the deposit to a different cruise .

Regards this link. If you scroll down that particular page to where it outlines the current Cruise Now program dated 22-4-14.

It clearly states " a $50 to $500 non-refundable deposit per stateroom is required".

It goes on to say "amount of instant OBC ranges between $50 and $500 and must be used before 2200 on the last night if your current cruise".

It is Black and White, I cannot see any point in trying to dispute this or charging back to credit card. When all said and done , you have had the benefit of the whole amount that you paid as deposit by way of OBC.

Regards this link. If you scroll down that particular page to where it outlines the current Cruise Now program dated 22-4-14.

It clearly states " a $50 to $500 non-refundable deposit per stateroom is required".

It goes on to say "amount of instant OBC ranges between $50 and $500 and must be used before 2200 on the last night if your current cruise".

It is Black and White, I cannot see any point in trying to dispute this or charging back to credit card. When all said and done , you have had the benefit of the whole amount that you paid as deposit by way of OBC.

See above posts #6 & #14, OP states that they did not receive any instant OBC for the cruise they were on (Oasis TA).

See above posts #6 & #14, OP states that they did not receive any instant OBC for the cruise they were on (Oasis TA).

Ok. The "old" program had ended in August 2014 when I was on Equinox. The "new" seems to have started around April 2014 as per date on conditions quoted. The OP states that they booked this Sept 2014, well past end date and commencement of new. I would urge the OP to extract their seapass statement for their Sept cruise. I suggest an extra $100 OBC added during the cruise, could be easily overlooked especially if they have a 6 or 7 pages on it like I do. I apologise to the OP if I am wrong here.

We booked a transatlantic for next fall while we were on a cruise this year. The deposit for transatlantics is only $100. We did get an instant on board credit and the deposit is non-refundable. Perhaps because the amount was so low OP didn't even notice it on her account. Besides we often move our deposit to another cruise. We consider the deposit just as a placeholder for another holiday.