Royal Princess - they've moved our room!

bluegiraffe

We'll be on the Royal Princess in a few months. We had picked room E425 because it had a somewhat larger than normal balcony that wasn't as obstructed as some (at least, that's what I gather from reading reviews). Then when we returned from a cruise during which I only once checked email, I found an email from Princess telling us they'd moved us to E409. The email said we could call them and change it back within 2 days, but of course, it was well after that when I read the email.

So.....does anyone know if the room we've now been assigned is comparable to what we had originally picked? And why would Princess do this?

Thanks!

We'll be on the Royal Princess in a few months. We had picked room E425 because it had a somewhat larger than normal balcony that wasn't as obstructed as some (at least, that's what I gather from reading reviews). Then when we returned from a cruise during which I only once checked email, I found an email from Princess telling us they'd moved us to E409. The email said we could call them and change it back within 2 days, but of course, it was well after that when I read the email.

So.....does anyone know if the room we've now been assigned is comparable to what we had originally picked? And why would Princess do this?

Thanks!

Check here.

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

If you like the new cabin better mark the booking "NO UPGRADE"!

It looks like it has the same large, angled balcony, however, the bonus is that it is a Deluxe balcony cabin (a little larger than a standard balcony cabin and it has a loveseat type sofa). Sounds like a score for you.

It looks like it has the same large, angled balcony, however, the bonus is that it is a Deluxe balcony cabin (a little larger than a standard balcony cabin and it has a loveseat type sofa). Sounds like a score for you.

That will be nice, thank you for the info.

I sure wouldn't mark the new cabin 'no upgrade'. You have already been upgraded to the highest category (DV) of Deluxe Balcony Obstructed. Only further upgrade would be to an unobstructed Deluxe Balcony, Premium Deluxe Balcony or Mini Suite (they will not move you back to a Standard Balcony, even if unobstructed). Yes the current upgrade is far better than you though on first glance and locking it in is worth considering--but unless your heart is set on being midship on Emerald deck (admittedly a very good place to be) I would continue to roll the dice.

Thanks!

It's your fault for not marking your booking NO UPGRADES.

I sure wouldn't mark the new cabin 'no upgrade'. You have already been upgraded to the highest category (DV) of Deluxe Balcony Obstructed. Only further upgrade would be to an unobstructed Deluxe Balcony, Premium Deluxe Balcony or Mini Suite (they will not move you back to a Standard Balcony, even if unobstructed). Yes the current upgrade is far better than you though on first glance and locking it in is worth considering--but unless your heart is set on being midship on Emerald deck (admittedly a very good place to be) I would continue to roll the dice.

But, the OP could get an upgrade to an unobstructed etc that had one of those small balconies or is in an unfavorable location. I hear some of those obstructed Emerald cabins have very little obstruction which seems to be the case here. Given that and a larger balcony, I would stay.

Something similar just happened to us--we were booked on the Crown Princess in a balcony room and then recently received a notice that they were upgrading us at no cost to a mini-suite. If you were upgraded, I say, enjoy it! (But check where the room is on the deck plan to make sure you're okay with the location.) - Musing about Cruising

Thanks!

It's your fault for not marking your booking NO UPGRADES.

A lot of people, especially new cruisers, wouldn't even be aware that that was a possibility though. At any rate, they did get a true upgrade and are now happy.

OP! I agree, don't mark it no upgrade. As stated before, you only stand to get a better deck. I would rather have a higher deck and a narrower balcony without all the obstructions in the 400 section on Emerald. Isn't 409 in the obstructed section? Most of Emerald is obstructed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP! I agree, don't mark it no upgrade. As stated before, you only stand to get a better deck. I would rather have a higher deck and a narrower balcony without all the obstructions in the 400 section on Emerald. Isn't 409 in the obstructed section? Most of Emerald is obstructed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. Look at the deck plan. It is under the Skywalk and is just on the opposite side of the area that the OP's original cabin was located. Only "obstruction" is the extended decking outside the Promenade deck area below that location. No life boats or tenders outside the balcony of that cabin.

The OP scored pretty much the same view and balcony area that they originally wanted with the added bonus of a deluxe balcony cabin instead of a standard balcony cabin.

Edited by ar1950

Check here.

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

If you like the new cabin better mark the booking "NO UPGRADE"!

For sure mark it no upgrade if you want to stay where you are.

If you want a possible upgrade then mark your booking "META UPGRADE ONLY" which would be to the nxt level Category IE:balcony-mini mini-suite etc.

Yes....Please mark your reservations "Meta Upgrade". I have this on all of my reservations as it means that I will only except an upgrade to the next higher level. If I'm in a inside Princess may want to move me to another inside location which in there opinion is an upgrade. I'm only willing to except upgrades to the next higher category, inside to ocean view for example.

Tom😎

• 3 weeks later...
Nope. Look at the deck plan. It is under the Skywalk and is just on the opposite side of the area that the OP's original cabin was located. Only "obstruction" is the extended decking outside the Promenade deck area below that location. No life boats or tenders outside the balcony of that cabin.

The OP scored pretty much the same view and balcony area that they originally wanted with the added bonus of a deluxe balcony cabin instead of a standard balcony cabin.

Yeah, but if its under the skywalk, doesn't that mean that anyone walking across the skywalk will be able to see you on your balcony, or in your room (if the curtains aren't drawn)?

Yeah, but if its under the skywalk, doesn't that mean that anyone walking across the skywalk will be able to see you on your balcony, or in your room (if the curtains aren't drawn)?

I've been reading about this. It really appears to be a potential problem if you are on the top deck.

Below that, people can see onto your balcony and that gets less and less as you go down. IMO not much different than being on say the Dolphin deck on the Island or Coral. Pax on the Caribe deck on those ships can look down and see the whole balcony.

The skywalk is on deck 17 and the original posters cabin is on deck 8, so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums