what do you do with your things on excursions?

grest

part of our excursion involves snorkeling...what do we do with our id's, hats, etc

If you are going to a beach for snorkeling then you can get waterproof bags to store your phone and wallet, and strap them around your waist. We've used these from Blue Sky Basics and they are very high quality and have great customer service: https://www.amazon.com/blue-sky-BASICS-Waterproof-Pouch/dp/B00X9XVHPW

We can replace a hat easily enough, but a cell phone and my ID, cruise card, copy of my passport and credit cards would be hard to replace, so these pouches serve us fine.

part of our excursion involves snorkeling...what do we do with our id's, hats, etc

You leave your things with the tour operator. Watching your stuff is part of their responsibilities. If you are not comfortable with that, buy a small water proof case for your ID and CCs, and keep it with you when you get wet. Don't take phones or cameras. No one wants your hats, towels, or shirts.

You leave your things with the tour operator. Watching your stuff is part of their responsibilities. If you are not comfortable with that, buy a small water proof case for your ID and CCs, and keep it with you when you get wet. Don't take phones or cameras. No one wants your hats, towels, or shirts.

read this with a wry smile

try telling that to our tour operator whose driver was supposed to be "securely storing" our possessions when my rucksack was stolen from van when we were away from it

I will never be as trusting again

I wish they had a backpack version.

My BIL bought a slashproof, lock-able drawstring bag called Loctote. (Amazon sells a cheaper possibly knock-off version called Locksack.) The bag looks nice but the price makes it a non starter for me. Could be worth checking out.

We have one of those plastic beach purses which you wear round your neck - this holds a credit card, key cards (id if required by local government) and little cash. We also have a waterproof camera (not an expensive one cost about £100) all of this comes into the sea with us. Stuff like hats, tee shirts, sunblock and towels are all expendable, everything else says on the boat.

Mine pouch is small - not much bigger than the credit card and key card - if it fails then there is nothing in that that really minds getting damp - the cord goes round my neck and then I tuck it in my swim suit - no chance of getting lost. DH has one big enough for car keys (if needed) which we double wrap in a zip lock bag just to be really sure. He has a swimsuit with a zip up pocket which the pouch goes, in but girls don't gets pockets! The camera has a wrist strap, a neck strap, floats and is bright yellow - we would have to work really hard to lose it!

Mine pouch is small - not much bigger than the credit card and key card - if it fails then there is nothing in that that really minds getting damp - the cord goes round my neck and then I tuck it in my swim suit - no chance of getting lost. DH has one big enough for car keys (if needed) which we double wrap in a zip lock bag just to be really sure. He has a swimsuit with a zip up pocket which the pouch goes, in but girls don't gets pockets! The camera has a wrist strap, a neck strap, floats and is bright yellow - we would have to work really hard to lose it!

Very smart and reassuring. Thanks!

read this with a wry smile

try telling that to our tour operator whose driver was supposed to be "securely storing" our possessions when my rucksack was stolen from van when we were away from it

I will never be as trusting again

Every time I read terms of an excursion it has a non-liability clause for items stolen or lost. They aren't responsible for your items, and they don't pay you if someone steals your stuff.

Curious if these types of pouches have ever failed or got "lost at sea" by anyone?

I've never had one fail. I do test them first. I put toilet tissue in it, seal it up, and submerge it in the sink full of water for a couple of hours. That's enough to see if it came with a leak.

Dry bags are used extensively by divers and snorkelers. Everything has a failure rate, but I think the good ones have a very low failure rate based on my observations.

Every time I read terms of an excursion it has a non-liability clause for items stolen

or lost.

They aren't responsible for your items, and they don't pay you if someone steals your stuff.

Sorry, but we have found our fellow cruisers most trustful.

Make friends with other pax;

We have not found any incidence of fellow cruisers who want to steal.

Every time I read terms of an excursion it has a non-liability clause for items stolen or lost. They aren't responsible for your items, and they don't pay you if someone steals your stuff.

yes the get out clauses are there but it's false advertising to claim to securely store your belongings and I was responding to someone who said the tour companies will watch your stuff as part of their responsibilities

Sorry, but we have found our fellow cruisers most trustful.

Make friends with other pax;

We have not found any incidence of fellow cruisers who want to steal.

Agreed. But if you're booking a private excursion, outside of the ship on which your cruising, not all excursioneers are fellow passengers.

Agreed. But if you're booking a private excursion,

outside of the ship on which your cruising,

not all excursioneers are fellow passengers.

We have found, exiting the ship, fellow excursioners are usually from the the ship.

However, one time, we booked a Caribbean catamaran, and half the boat was topless French(not to be trusted)...just kidding.

Even so, not all non-pax are thieves on an excursion, just looking to steal.:cool::)

If you are still worried about this, you should just stay at home and not even go on a cruise.:)

I wish you the best.

Edited by $hip$hape

yes the get out clauses are there but it's false advertising to claim to securely store your belongings and I was responding to someone who said the tour companies will watch your stuff as part of their responsibilities

I know, and I agree with you. You can't leave valuable things sitting on a tour bus seat while you are off snorkeling. If you are on a tour boat it's a little easier, because you can check your things periodically and raise a stink if anyone has taken anything.

But, yeah, you are always responsible for your own stuff, and the tour operators won't pay you for things stolen "on their watch". Your trip insurance may cover it.