After 8 hours, overboard cruise ship passenger rescued

ace6636634

Not sure if everyone saw this.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/16/man.overboard.ap/index.html

This is why I book inside cabins! Who I'm I kidding? its the $$$ :)

Wow! That's some story--I guess he had a change of heart. Or maybe he never meant to kill himself, just had enough booze to think he was Superman!

:eek:

"The 24-year-old man ran through a Carnival Cruise Lines ship cabin window and fell into the water off Fort Lauderdale, a witness told Coast Guard Petty Officer Dana Warr. It was unclear whether the window was open at the time."

Hope it was a balcony cabin. Those windows are pretty strong.

Manomet1 - This is off topic, but I love Doxies!!:D The license plate on my truck is "DOX&LVR". You're avatar "picture" just inspired me.

What's amazing about the story is the time he was in the water, combined withthe distance he had to have fallen. I don't think I could tread water that long!:eek:

What's amazing about the story is the time he was in the water, combined withthe distance he had to have fallen. I don't think I could tread water that long!:eek:

This is proof positive -- stupidity is buoyant!

I wonder if he got back on the ship and finished the cruise?:confused:

Sea Hound

why do people drink so much and do this, you hear of this from time to time, most of the time, they say people fall over, but you know they are probably so drunk they dont care.. and they get mad or something and jump or they look at their bill..

i wish people on cruises wouldnt get that wasted its not safe ,, you cant just fall off a balcony unless you are stupid enough to get on and stand on the rail which is quite high..

"The ship reported that Mankamyer had jumped from the balcony in his room and into the water around 12:45 a.m., a Coast Guard statement said."

so i guess it wasnt a window but his balcony....

Last night's report..he jumped from 6th deck.

Tonights report...they went back to - he jumped from his cabin?

drunk and fighting with his family.

Coast guard saved him.

He was 300 lbs., he survived 8 hours in the water...intoxicated:confused:

With only a collapsed lung?

And once again the news people at New York's Channel 5, "Fox5 News" gets the story wrong.

On the heels of their Norwegian Dawn bedbug story from a few nights ago, Fox 5 News on Saturday's 10pm broadcast says how this man's ordeal started "This Morning". Yet this thread started on Friday with the story. Did it really happen on saturday like the news program says, or did it really happen on Friday as all the other news outlets claim.

Then the announcer continues with the story by saying he was rescued, "This afternoon", again meaning on Saturday.

They may have first learned of the story on Saturday, or received rescue footage on Saturday, but the ordeal was on Friday.

Way to go Fox5 News. Getting the facts wrong again.

why do people drink so much and do this, you hear of this from time to time, most of the time, they say people fall over, but you know they are probably so drunk they dont care.. and they get mad or something and jump or they look at their bill..

i wish people on cruises wouldnt get that wasted its not safe ,, you cant just fall off a balcony unless you are stupid enough to get on and stand on the rail which is quite high..

"The ship reported that Mankamyer had jumped from the balcony in his room and into the water around 12:45 a.m., a Coast Guard statement said."

so i guess it wasnt a window but his balcony....

And then they sue the cruiseline :rolleyes:

Since the passenger going overboard was reported by witnesses and his stepson who was in the cabin, I wonder why the ship did not circle back and look for him? All ships hold "Man Overboard" drills? It appears the ship continued on its course and reported the incident to the Coast Guard and let them look for him? I suspect more information will be forthcoming.

Since the passenger going overboard was reported by witnesses and his stepson who was in the cabin, I wonder why the ship did not circle back and look for him? All ships hold "Man Overboard" drills? It appears the ship continued on its course and reported the incident to the Coast Guard and let them look for him? I suspect more information will be forthcoming.

I read the cruisecritic article that was posted on the main page and what that said is that the ship notified coast guard and (I assume) stopped. Then the ship was released around 4:30 in the morning to continue its course to Nassau. It does seem a bit strange that the ship would just sit there and wait for coast guard. But, again, we'll probably never get the real story.

If the man was drunk and did jump off, he should be sent the bill for the rescue effort. Why should we taxpayers have to fund people's stupidity? It's the same as when we have to pay to rescue mountainclimbers when they go out in snowstorms. If you engage in risky/stupid behaviour and get into trouble, you should have to pay for the financial consequences.

If the man was drunk and did jump off, he should be sent the bill for the rescue effort. Why should we taxpayers have to fund people's stupidity? It's the same as when we have to pay to rescue mountainclimbers when they go out in snowstorms. If you engage in risky/stupid behaviour and get into trouble, you should have to pay for the financial consequences.

Seriously, unless he can prove that it was an accident, he should foot the bill! :eek:

I thought I read that the Carnial ship and a Disney Ship searched until coast guard arrived.... not positive, but thought I read that.

I heard that, too. That the ship didn't continue on, it stopped and searched the area.

I would be interested in hearing how it happened, for sure, though. I heard he "ran across the floor and out the window". Doesn't sound right to me.

And I agree about the rescue costs.

I totally agree!!!

Archived