Third person suites, what actually happens....

Able Seaman H

Someone asked about 3rd person fares in another thread and the 3rd person question is something we have a lot of experience with so here goes.

If I'm honest Seabourn head office make a bit of a pigs ear of things. I am a huge Seabourn fan but Seabourn "on the ship", not Seabourn "on dry land administration".

3 people can share a suite with the 3rd person paying 50% of the advertised fare. In the case of minors unable to drink you still pay the same but I accept that. We all pay the same, some drink more booze, others eat more food and some passengers seem to need extra attention from staff but it all goes into the mix and a universal price per pax is arrived at depending which bit of real estate you want to sleep in.

The one thing that gripes me is that you can't book a guaranteed OB with 3 people. Seabourn argue that you need to be assigned a designated 3 person suite so you have to pay for a V1 in the front of the ship if you want a cheap fare. After a lot of arguing we have always been able to book the first 2 passengers at a guaranteed fare but the 3rd person pays half of the suite fare.

On the face of it you can see Seabourn's point, there are only a limited number of designated 3 person cabins whereas 2 people booking a guaranteed OB rate can be placed anywhere on the ship to fill vacant spaces. Now here comes the rub, only once has our supposed 3 person suite actually been a 3 person cabin. On every other cruise a rickety put up bed has been wheeled into the cabin at night. So in reality Seabourn can make any cabin a 3 person cabin.

The cruise we are current enjoying is a perfect example of the mess Seabourn head office create. Initially told we can't book OB guarantee, have a big old row with head office, emails fired off - they like to call it "reaching out". Eventually we get assigned 633 (on Sojourn) for the price of 2 OB guarantee fares and 50% of a V1 fare. A bit bruised that it's not 50% of the Guarantee OB fare but we are only arguing a couple of hundred dollars so move on and get it booked.

In the days it took to get Seabourn to see sense our air fare went up by more than £3,000 so had to take a punt and book the cruise with no firm flights hoping something would open up later on.

So how "3 person" is suite 633? It shows as a 3 person cabin on the deck plan but what happens when you walk in the door?

Just 2 life jackets and a fixed sofa which doesn't convert to a bed, so once again we have to make do with a pretty poor quality camp bed that gets wheeled in and out each day. Hey, a first world problem but given Seabourn's policy and the arguments they use regarding only a limited number of 3 person suites we are once again in a normal cabin with no provision at all for the additional person.

We have been very lucky in the past and actually been assigned a separate cabin for the third person at check in when boarding Encore in Dubai. I have no idea why but Emily was assigned her own cabin just down the hall - someone was looking down on us that day :)

I certainly don't expect that sort of treatment every time but it would be nice if Seabourn sorted out their third person policy by acknowledging any cabin can and is used as a 3 person unit. Charge the first 2 passengers at the going rate (including guaranteed OB fares), then charge the 3rd person at 50% of the lowest fare for that sailing.

There is no need to charge additional sharing guests a premium for the particular suite category because the first 2 passengers have covered all that, the 3rd person is just covering their food, drink, service entertainment and so on.

Come on Seabourn, pull your finger out and address this issue which has been plaguing bookings for years now.

Henry :)

Thanks for this explanation of how it works.

We're looking at a cruise on Sojourn next year and aren't sure whether to book a 3 person suite or two separate ones. I do like deck 6 and 633 was the one I had my eye on for that cruise.

I had been on the understanding that a suite shown on a deck plan as being suitable for 3 people would indeed have 3 lifejackets, sets of towels, glasses etc and a sofa that converts to a bed.

Are you in the same suite for the B2B or will you be changing for the Christmas cruise? It would be interesting if you are able to make a further comparison with a different one.

We stay in 633 for the next leg.

The only thing that dictates a 3 person cabin is the sofa being able to convert into a bed whch it can't in 633.

Towels, glasses, lifejackets etc are added and removed as required. So other than the converting sofa any cabin on the ship takes 3 passengers once you roll in a Z bed.

In 7 cruises we have only ever had one cabin where the sofa converts so Seabourn's arguments simply don't hold water. They are happy to take your money for a Penthouse with a 3rd person ;)

It really does need sorting. For all our beng bounced around by head office we are currently in a cabin which needs an uncomfortable $99 Z bed to be rolled in and out.

Not good. Very helpful information, thanks.

I may ask about 828 whilst I'm on board next week. It's a 3 person on Sojourn but it's a connecting suite and I think that would be worse (noise, etc) than having a rickety camp bed rolled in every night!

Henry, the Seabourn plan for a third person does not seem adequate to me. There (in my own humble opinion) should be a number of suites that have a comfortable fold out sofa bed. No rickety roll out bed should bee deemed adequate. A 50% fare is still a considerable amount of money and the third person should be comfortable and not subjected to a substandard sleeping arrangement. Seabourn should be better than that.

I agree that a decent bed would be a reasonable expectation but my biggest gripe is with the way Seabourn make you jump through hoops and pay more money on the basis you are getting a bespoke cabin only to then put you in a normal one.

I would rather they treated 3rd person bookings in exactly the same way they do 2 person bookings, charged the 3rd person 50% of the lowest fare at time of booking then rolled in a good quality put up bed.

Mainstream cruise lines have lots of cabins which accommodate more than 2 guests but on Seabourn multiple occupancy suites are less common. My fear with a limited number of actual 3 person cabins would be that Seabourn make you pay more money to book rather than the guarantee OB rate.

Whilst I can appreciate a price premium for a Penthouse Suite I struggle to pay more for identical accommodation purely based on which deck you are on. Deck 5, 6, 7 or 8 are all the same to me.

From our experience over 7 cruises with SB I would ignore the 3 person occupancy designation of cabins. In practice I suspect they will be standard. As I say we have only had one occasion where the sofa converted on Sojourn, possibly on our first ever cruise.

Agreed Henry. There should be both an adequate/comfortable sleeping arrangement and also a transparent/straightforward pricing for a third person. You should know ahead of time exactly what you are getting and what the payment for it will be. Anything else is just not acceptable from a luxury cruise line.

In 7 cruises we have only ever had one cabin where the sofa converts so Seabourn's arguments simply don't hold water. They are happy to take your money for a Penthouse with a 3rd person ;)

It really does need sorting. For all our beng bounced around by head office we are currently in a cabin which needs an uncomfortable $99 Z bed to be rolled in and out.

Your experience makes me wonder just how many genuine 3rd person occupancy cabins there actually are on the ships. 633 is touted as such on the deck plans, but in fact isn't, because you just get a roll-out bed.

I don't know how things were with the little sisters, but this sort of chiselling behaviour is what I meant elsewhere by a mass- market mentality creeping into Seabourn's corporate governance. As great as things are on board, and as hard as the crews work to maintain the Seabourn difference, this is just cheap and shoddy misrepresentation by Seabourn shoreside - a management style that, for all its pretence at deference, in fact treats the punters with contempt. All the more disconcerting to learn this from Henry, who has been (still is) a great advocate for Seabourn, all the more galling because we know how dilligent the on- board staff are in trying to preserve the Seabourn we know and admire.

Henry, I hope you are on an advisory board for Seabourn. You would be invaluable to them. How much would it cost (really) to have comfortable sofa beds in 10 suites onboard? I guess the issue would be holding them back for three people parties--which probably are not very frequent.

I hope my husband and I are on a cruise with you and your family some day!

My thoughts are that a 2 person suite on the deck plan should be a 2 person suite in reality, not converted to a 3 person by rolling in a crappy fold up cot. I would not be happy to select a suite to avoid being next to a 3 person suite, only to find 3 people in a 2 person suite. That is not right. BTW, I noticed several of these cots in several suites on deck 8 on our last cruise...and I do not think these were designated 3rd person suites.

However, if I booked a 3 person suite and received a suite designated on the deck plan as 3 person, then I’d have a hard time complaining that the 3rd person bed is a rollout type vs a sofa bed. Where does it say on the deck plan that a 3rd person suite must be a convertible sofa? It does not.

I don’t understand the expectation that an OB fare should include a 3rd person option. An OB fare is a special discount fare and is not offered on all cruises. It’s usually a promotional offer to sell less popular or poorly selling itineraries.

Seabourn is not the type of cruise line where “cabin sharing” should be the norm. Everyone will have their own opinion and Yes, it is an option, but likely it isn’t a priority for head office. Personally, I would prefer no 3rd person option offered, and families or groups travelling together either book an interconnecting suite or 2 separate suites ( just not near me please [emoji3]).

These are just my thoughts, and certainly not meant to disrespect the OPs personal experience or opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it contempt on the part of Seabourn? I'm not sure I'd be that harsh, more a combination of naively and not seeing it as a particularly important issue. The roll out bed has got an upgrade tonight so let's see how it fares....

I am aware that guaranteed OB fares are not always available but I would wager they are the most common fare paid by guests. Having established that any cabin can accommodate a 3rd guest and that not all supposed 3rd occupant cabins actually are I find it a bit off to say you can't benefit from a guaranteed OB fare if there are 3 of you.

As for the suitability of 3rd occupant cabins on Seabourn that is something I've considered. It could be construed as cheapening the brand, dragging it down to mainstream levels but I don't think it does. I know only too well some people's views on children but the fact is they are allowed and we've had more problems with adults over the years than we have kids. So They are here to stay and actually not allowed to have a cabin on their own even if the parents wanted to find the extra £7,500 / $10,000.

I hope we are no noisier than 2 occupant cabins. Being younger we aren't deaf so don't need the TV on full blast, having someone playing gooseberry means no headboard banging against the cabin wall and we haven't grown bored of each other yet so no blazing arguments. Goodness me we've heard some of those over the years. We don't drink much (Emily's nothing at all as she's under age) so no booze related noise.

The fact is on a cruise ship it's pot luck whol your neighbours are.

I'm not on any advisory committee, just a happy camper like you guys :)

I am aware that guaranteed OB fares are not always available but I would wager they are the most common fare paid by guests. Having established that any cabin can accommodate a 3rd guest and that not all supposed 3rd occupant cabins actually are I find it a bit off to say you can't benefit from a guaranteed OB fare if there are 3 of you.

Hmmm just for the record, I and most people I have cruised with, because we want a certain cabin type, pay the extra dollars to secure that cabin type. I don't tell Seabourn that I want a midship verandah but because I don't care what deck I'm on I will only pay a verandah guarantee price.

The only time I have taken an OB was because we booked last minute one year about two weeks before sailing.

Julie

Hmmm just for the record, I and most people I have cruised with, because we want a certain cabin type, pay the extra dollars to secure that cabin type. I don't tell Seabourn that I want a midship verandah but because I don't care what deck I'm on I will only pay a verandah guarantee price.

The only time I have taken an OB was because we booked last minute one year about two weeks before sailing.

Julie

I think we might have crossed wires. My understanding was that OB guarantee fare is a verandah guarantee price.

The standard Seabourn offer seems to be guaranteed varandah (balcony) for the same price of the outside view (port hole) suite.

That being the case I don't enjoy being charged the higher V1 rate and assigned a specific V1 cabin (which it transpires isn't a 3 person cabin at all) when everyone else pays less for a MINIMUM guaranteed V1 but in practice they will be allocated something better.

Seabourn head office need to be told and acknowledge that the cabins they think are designed for 3 pax are not.

Henry, I am not disagreeing that if you think the suite isn't capable of being used as a three person you need to pass this on to Head Office.

However the rest of what you are saying isn't clear to me at all. Suite 633 is a V5 not a V1 when you check the Deck Plans. So this would mean you have been allocated something better then a V1. So what am I missing?

Our cabin allocation for this cruise followed protracted exchanges with our Seabourn knowledgeable travel agent and then a couple of emails from me directly to Seabourn.

Had I not persevered and just accepted the initial responses from our agent / Seabourn, we wouldn't be on the ship. As it is they made a special case and allocated us a cabin in the same way a guaranteed balcony fare would have been allocated but it took some time and a lot of effort on my part for what should have been a simple routine booking.

There was an added complication when we added this cruise to our holiday cruise and initially Seabourn came back with a fare based on V5 rates.

In the end I made a compromise, Seabourn almost saw sense, there was a bit of man maths with some on board credit and here we are.

Seabourn never actually responded to any of my emails but their position changed towards our travel agent so I guess they read them. It shouldn't have been that hard, we weren't wanting anything overly complicated, just to book a guaranteed balcony V1 or better to be allocated prior to departure based on the rate shown on Seabourn's website.

So the journey to here has been somewhat convoluted. I simplified it so as not to confuse or cloud the argument :)

Henry - you seem to be the most expert person on this subject: I always assumed the 3 person suites had a different sofa which made a reasonable bed for the 3rd person. Do any of them have this, do you think? To my mind there is precious little room in a standard suite for a rollaway type bed to be put in. Also, do you think Seabourn ever put 3 in a normal 2 person suite, since adding a rollaway bed would be no different.

Although I would not like to be in a 3 person suite, at 50% of the normal price if the person is over 21 and can drink alcohol it does seem to be a very good price.

On the Quest, Suite 830 has what appears to be a sofa-bed. It is longer, taking up the entire space from exterior wall to the bar cabinet...no room for the ice bucket or anything else. And there is a joint between the cushion and the frame, unlike the standard sofa. However, we, being only two, did not extend it.

Henry - you seem to be the most expert person on this subject: I always assumed the 3 person suites had a different sofa which made a reasonable bed for the 3rd person. Do any of them have this, do you think? To my mind there is precious little room in a standard suite for a rollaway type bed to be put in. Also, do you think Seabourn ever put 3 in a normal 2 person suite, since adding a rollaway bed would be no different.

Although I would not like to be in a 3 person suite, at 50% of the normal price if the person is over 21 and can drink alcohol it does seem to be a very good price.

Not all the supposed 3 person cabins are actually designed to take 3 people, 633 on Sojourn being a prime example, in fact we have only had one suite where the sofa converted to a bed.

Standard suites are most definitely used for 3 pax with the introduction of a fold away bed which is rolled out again in the morning to free up the suite until turn down.

Standard suites are most definitely used for 3 pax with the introduction of a fold away bed which is rolled out again in the morning to free up the suite until turn down.

Thanks for clarifying this point. This is concerning to me, not just because one would expect that a 3 person suite would be equipped to accommodate the 3 rd person without wheeling in/out a separate bed. But also because many (including me) avoid booking a suite next to a designated 3 person suite. If Seabourn can convert any 2 person suite into 3, then that is not what I signed up for or expect from a supposed “ultra luxury”cruise line.

Sunprince,

Can you clarify why you do not want to have a suite next to a three person suite,is it because you think that most will contain a baby or a small person.

My experience tells me that there is often noisy couples in the suite next door who can be inconsiderate especially when they let the doors slam.

I don’t see that a three person suite is any worse than a two person occupancy or even a single traveller for that matter.

It is always luck of the draw who you get sailing next to you.

The noisiest neighbour that we've ever had on Seabourn was a single traveller who insisted on letting his door slam, appeared to open and noisily close every drawer and cupboard door in his suite before and after both breakfast and dinner each day, and yelled during conversations on his mobile phone at least four times each day. I remember him quite clearly telling someone he was in Shanghai and it wasn't as modern as he'd expected from seeing it on tv. China was a disappointment. We were in Saigon.