Room service still free?

JMCruising

Hello,

I know there are some optional "upgraded" items you can pay for, but other than that, is it still free? I only ask because I just read a review that said there was a $65 charge. (They also complained about the "mandatory" gratuities tacked on at the end of the cruise). I just wanted to double check!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yes, most room service is free, there are a few items that have a small charge. The crew tips can be pre or post paid. No idea what you're talking about with the $65.

Maybe they ordered things that were not free and paid no attention to that.

There is no way to miss it. It's very clear, one side of the menu is free the other side the prices are clearly marked, and he would have had to sign for it as well.

That's true but... You order room service the night before so maybe he was drunk and don't know what he did. lol.

I am just digging for a reason that $65 got added. lol

That's true but... You order room service the night before so maybe he was drunk and don't know what he did. lol.

I am just digging for a reason that $65 got added. lol

I thought you only order breakfast the night before. There are no upcharges for breakfast.

There is no way to miss it. It's very clear, one side of the menu is free the other side the prices are clearly marked, and he would have had to sign for it as well.

Unless things have change, we've had to sign for the free items also. We always leave a tip in cash for room service. There's just two of us ... depends on the size of the order, but never over $5

I was just on Carnival a month ago, and it was free, except for certain items as some have stated. One thing I found a little strange was that the person bringing the food didn't stay for a tip one day when I didn't have the tip ready (he brought breakfast earlier than requested and we weren't prepared). But as far as I know there wasn't a charge.

Sounds to me like $65 is a 5 day cruise with the $12.95/day gratuities added at the end of the cruise. That's completely different than room service (food ordered) but is for room steward, waiters, service people, etc.

$12.95 x 5 days= $64.75

When ordering from the "other side" (like chicken wings) there is an additional charge.

The question has been answered, but I'm going to add this:

When we were on the Vista last month, we called and ordered a sandwich, french fries which are on the extra menu and two Cokes, also a pay item. The lady taking my order was very precise in making sure I understood that there was an extra charge for the fries and the Cokes, and exactly how much it was total. Then she repeated it all again at the end.

We prepay our gratuities, but we just got off the Valor and some college kids we met on an excursion were asking us about the $65 gratuity charge that showed up on their account on the 3rd day of the cruise. They were asking if more gratuity would be added at the end.

Sounds to me like $65 is a 5 day cruise with the $12.95/day gratuities added at the end of the cruise. That's completely different than room service (food ordered) but is for room steward, waiters, service people, etc.

$12.95 x 5 days= $64.75

On our cruise last year, room service crew members were not covered under the pre-paid gratuities...or so I read many times on the old Carnival forums. Has that changed, do they receive a cut of the pre-paid gratuities now? I understand we can always tip them more even if they do get a share, just curious if they actually do or not.

On our cruise last year, room service crew members were not covered under the pre-paid gratuities...or so I read many times on the old Carnival forums. Has that changed, do they receive a cut of the pre-paid gratuities now? I understand we can always tip them more even if they do get a share, just curious if they actually do or not.

As far as I know, they do not get a share of the gratuity charge, but we both may have read the same misinformation. ;p I always tip $2 for room service and they seem grateful for it.

We are thinking of switching from RCCL FOS to Carnival Magic and this is interesting. Is there copies of the room service menus available online somewhere so I can see how the actual items offered compare? Thanks!

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We are thinking of switching from RCCL FOS to Carnival Magic and this is interesting. Is there copies of the room service menus available online somewhere so I can see how the actual items offered compare? Thanks!

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Yes, all of Carnival's menus are online, in PDF format, so you'll need Adobe Reader to view them (it's free). Just look under FAQs, Dining and Beverages, and then 24 hr. Room Service