Amsterdam Inside Cabins

We're considering an inside cabin on Amsterdam for the 14 day Alaska next summer. Inside cabin would be new for us. Always before done outside or veranda cabins. Maybe one of the "Category I" forward cabins? An advice gratefully accepted.

Best friend is leaving the cabin choice up to me. I've always in general like the beds under the window because it makes the cabin feel bigger to me than the same square footage in beds by the bathroom configuration. And I'm thinking maybe time to try inside.

We just got off Eurodam for an 11 day B2B (review forthcoming) which we very much enjoyed but it was our 4th & 5th Alaska cruises and we never set foot on the veranda at all. Or even looked out the windows anytime after getting up in the morning. So I'm thinking maybe we don't really need a window. Any suggestions?

When I sailed the Amsterdam, I booked an inside cabin, mid-ship, on Main Deck I believe it was category K, cabin 2612. I liked this spot having cabins both above and below me, it almost always insure's a quiet spot. Not sure if the Amsterdam still has self-service laundries, but when I sailed her, it was very convenient for me to get up in the morning, throw a load of laundry in, take a shower, show it in the dryer and by the time I was ready to head upstairs for breakfast, my laundry was done................self-service laundries are great if you are traveling with a family on longer cruises............I do miss that about the new ships, but have adjusted.

Hope this helps.

We had Cabin #3340 on Lower Promenade deck for part of last year's GWV. It was a great location. 2 doors down from the self serve laundry and about 40 feet from the central Atrium.

We'd book that cabin again in a heartbeat! Category "J" I believe.

We got oceanview once, but afterwards have always cruised in the inside rooms on A deck or main deck mid ship or aft. I don’t miss the window since we always ended up keeping the shades closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the large insides are 186 sq. ft., which is only slightly smaller than the outsides on Main and A-decks. There are one or two insides that are larger than that.

The ones on Lower Promenade between the atrium and the mid-ship elevators have no noise coming from above, and easy access to outside. It was lovely sitting out there watching the sea, with a good overhang, yet be able to get back to my cabin quickly when needed. I think those cabins have been upgraded from J-category to I-category. (they were on the other ships).

The cabins on Main Deck are sandwiched between two passenger cabin decks, so are quiet, too. I've never stayed on the lowest deck, so can't comment on those.

The large insides (except for those couple of even larger ones) are configured just as the outsides, except they have a love seat instead of a full couch. There are two full closets, plus the one with shelves and a place for hanging short things.

The sink is in the space where the tub would be in an outside, so there is quite a bit of counter space, and a long storage shelf underneath. The shower is where the sink would be in an outside cabin.

So long as you don't require a window, you should find an inside on the Amsterdam very comfortable.

We were also in 3340 for the entire 2015 GWV and had no problems. We liked the cabin so much that we booked the comparable cabin on the Rotterdam for the 2016 Atlantic Adventurer.

We sleep better in inside cabins and, as a bonus, they are the only ones on the "older" ships which have shower-only bathrooms. Orthopedic difficulties make climbing in and out of a tub nearly impossible, so the stall shower is perfect.

We cruised the Amsterdam last summer in an inside room on the 14 day Alaskan cruise. We loved it. We had 2 rooms. I had myself and 3 kids in one room, and my mother had the other with one of my kids. Im telling you, we slept so well in the inside room. It was WONDERFUL. One day my kids even slept through breakfast. :')The twins are nine, and are awake at 6:30 EVERY DAY EVER. The year prior we had a window room and it was terrible. This year we are sailing to Alaska on the same itinerary, different ship, but rooms in the same area.

Anyone have any experience around L3425? Back of Deck 3, Lower Promenade, under the main dining room.

Hello!

We've 'camped out' in cabin L3402 on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago and have a reservation for the same cabin for the 2020 WC. Occasionally you might hear some chairs being moved around in the lower La Fontaine dining room but otherwise it was just fine. Generally speaking, after 2200 hours the dining room is pretty well shut down so noise isn't really an issue IMHO.

We like the convenience of the nearby elevators, stairway and proximity to the lower and upper La Fontaine levels. And, obviously, the ability to get out on the deck with little effort to enjoy the scenery, check the weather in 'real time' , docking and enjoy a nearby lounger when appropriate.

We recently stayed in J2612 (Main Deck) for the full 2018 WC and the inside was just fine but there was definitely early morning 'noise' from the crew stairway aft of the cabin climbing the metal stairs so crew members could get to their duty stations between 0600-0700 from the lower decks. Not an issue if you're a morning person.

Regardless, you'll have a 'blast'.

Be well.

Bob

Hello!

We've 'camped out' in cabin L3402 on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago and have a reservation for the same cabin for the 2020 WC. Occasionally you might hear some chairs being moved around in the lower La Fontaine dining room but otherwise it was just fine. Generally speaking, after 2200 hours the dining room is pretty well shut down so noise isn't really an issue IMHO.

We like the convenience of the nearby elevators, stairway and proximity to the lower and upper La Fontaine levels. And, obviously, the ability to get out on the deck with little effort to enjoy the scenery, check the weather in 'real time' , docking and enjoy a nearby lounger when appropriate.

We recently stayed in J2612 (Main Deck) for the full 2018 WC and the inside was just fine but there was definitely early morning 'noise' from the crew stairway aft of the cabin climbing the metal stairs so crew members could get to their duty stations between 0600-0700 from the lower decks. Not an issue if you're a morning person.

Regardless, you'll have a 'blast'.

Be well.

Bob

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

As I stated earlier, we were in 3340 on Lower Promenade deck for part of the 2018 GWV. About midway through our 63 day leg, our steward found a significant problem with the support for the bathroom floor and they moved us to 3338 which was a OV at that time and, I believe, after the recent dry dock, is now a lanai cabin. Anyhow, we found that the 3340 storage was much better than 3338 with more closet space and room in general. To us, having the bath tub was no advantage.

• 2 weeks later...