Fascination Self-pour Beer station

shipp2323

• Swipe your S&S and pour your beer
  • Pay by the ounce
  • Not included in Cheers
  • Some have reported that Carnival still charges the 15% gratuity when using self-pour beer stations.

• 1 month later...
Yes, they do charge the 15% gratuity.

I'm not trying to incite a cruise critic riot or be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering why there would be a gratuity charge on pouring your own beer? :confused:

I'm not trying to incite a cruise critic riot or be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering why there would be a gratuity charge on pouring your own beer? :confused:

For the same reason they now add a gratuity charge for delivering a bottle of alcohol from the Fun Shop to your cabin. It's additional revenue so they can hold the line on cruise fares.

Yes, they do charge the 15% gratuity.

Can this be confirmed by someone who has experienced this?

I can't see a world where this would be true. It wouldn't be called a gratuity, they could call it a "convenience fee" possibly?

I was on the Ecstasy last month, and I can confirm there is a gratuity on PYOB. As far as I can recall it is not shown on the display while pouring, I only found out about the gratuity when I pulled up my account on the Hub app.

It is a mega rip-off and I let them know in the survey, as if that matters. I really should have had it removed at guest services, simply for the principle of the fact that I didn't get the tip for the beer I poured myself!

I wonder who gets the gratuity? The guy who cleans the nozzle and puts out more cups every night?

For the same reason they now add a gratuity charge for delivering a bottle of alcohol from the Fun Shop to your cabin. It's additional revenue so they can hold the line on cruise fares.

That isn't a gratuity - it's shown as a "Delivery Fee" when you buy something in the Fun Shops online. Gratuities are given to crew, delivery fees are revenue for the cruise line. Semantics it seems, but the distinction of who gets the money is important I think - whether the cruise line or the crew.

In the name of corporate greed none of us should use the PYOB stations. This not just because of the added "gratuities" (which is a huge rip off), but it also is killing jobs. This is kind of like the new self served check out lines in your grocery stores. The only different is your local stores are American jobs, but they are still jobs. Next thing you know there will be no bartenders on any cruise line, and I do not believe a robot wants to, or will listen to my sad drunken stories.

In the name of corporate greed none of us should use the PYOB stations. This not just because of the added "gratuities" (which is a huge rip off), but it also is killing jobs. This is kind of like the new self served check out lines in your grocery stores. The only different is your local stores are American jobs, but they are still jobs. Next thing you know there will be no bartenders on any cruise line, and I do not believe a robot wants to, or will listen to my sad drunken stories.

I think cruise lines will be among the last to be automated, if at all. I mean, the labor is so cheap it would take decades to pay off an investment like that for one ship let alone fleet wide. It's not like at McDonald's where labor is half the cost of their product. RCCI does have a robot bar in some of their ships, I wonder how popular it is.

Still, I won't use the PYOB station again because of the gratuity charged which is asinine to me.

The gratuities are for the people behind the scenes who make the station work. It’s like the daily tips we are charged and the people we don’t see. Remember the beer and the stations doesn’t make it to those taps on their own. But if you don’t use the station you have no issues with the gratuities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just read where the Fascination now has a self-pour beer station. How does it work? Do you have to have the Cheers package? Pay as you go? Please help!
Yeap its pay as you go. You only have I limited time to pour, I think its like 90 seCV onds. The maitre'd saw me using it on my last cruise, Elation last Nov and gave me this tip:

Line up a row of cups and fill each until time runs out. The speed of the tap is fast, so even tilting the cup you get a lot of foam. Then combine cups into one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk