CD Mike Szwajkowski...

Has anyone cruised with CD Mike Szwajkowski? I understand that he will be joining Grandeur soon and has been on Brilliance recently, after returning to duty after a long hiatus. Would appreciate any skinny on him. Is he personable or aloof, available or MIA except for official duties?:confused: Thanx for any info you'd care to share.;)

Has anyone cruised with CD Mike Szwajkowski? I understand that he will be joining Grandeur soon and has been on Brilliance recently, after returning to duty after a long hiatus. Would appreciate any skinny on him. Is he personable or aloof, available or MIA except for official duties?:confused: Thanx for any info you'd care to share.;)

W H A T ? ! ? ! ?

He is the very best CD ever ... I am not even slightly exaggerating. I hope he still has his humor and skills after being away this long. 6-7 yrs ago a fairwell video was shown on the big screen in the theatre... various departments waving goodbye.... guest services, bar tenders, housekeeping, waiters, etc etc .... then Mike came on doing his signature lick his fingers and push his eyebrows back.... applause and standing O's! He was the only CD I ever witnessed to get a standing ovation on final night on both Voyager and Freedom... his Quest and "Love & Marriage" game shows had people rolling in the aisles. I really really hope he does well. :D

We don’t usually find CD’s memorable but we did enjoy cruising with Mike. I laughed so hard at that Fountain skit, I think it was on the Grandeur. I’m glad he’s back.

Yes, the fountain skit!!!! lol

And he was always getting down and dirty with guest vs. staff dodgeball on the sportscourt, always played volleyball, always around the Promenade saying hello to people nightly as he walked from one duty to another.

Delta blue - you’re going to have a great cruise!

I was on the Brilliance OTS January 29th sailing where Mike Szwajkowski, after spending two weeks onboard getting up to speed, took over as CD.

I thought Mike did a fantastic job and can see why he got a lot of favorable reviews in the past. He was genuinely friendly and approachable as well as funny and entertaining without being obnoxiously silly. Mike also knows some cool magic tricks.

To be honest, while they definitely can improve the cruise experience, I rarely remember who the CD was after my cruise has ended. I will never forget the antics of Richard Spacey and, while he had been my favorite, I don’t think I would have enjoyed it if I had repeatedly sailed with him.

Mike is my new favorite and I would thoroughly enjoy sailing with him again.

Enjoy!

~ Judy

Judy...thanx for the glowing comments! The more I read, the better I feel.:D We've been in a bit of a rut over on Grandeur for a while and Mike sounds like a perfect fix. Sadly, it looks like he is only on for one contract before they move him elsewhere. We had another diamond not too long ago before he was moved too.:( A CD won't make or break a cruise but they do influence the 'feel' of things.

Maggie...looks like Mike has returned to RCI recently after a multi-year hiatus.

Really looking forward to meeting him.;)

I'd love to sail with Mike as CD again. He was the best! Can't remember if it was Voyager or Adventure we were on when he was CD and he really does a fantastic job. Someone mentioned the fountain skit-- it was hilarious! He left Royal Caribbean and joined the RCMP. So happy he's back.

Judy...thanx for the glowing comments! The more I read, the better I feel.:D We've been in a bit of a rut over on Grandeur for a while and Mike sounds like a perfect fix. Sadly, it looks like he is only on for one contract before they move him elsewhere. We had another diamond not too long ago before he was moved too.:( A CD won't make or break a cruise but they do influence the 'feel' of things.

Maggie...looks like Mike has returned to RCI recently after a multi-year hiatus.

Really looking forward to meeting him.;)

Do you happen to know how long a contract is? Wondering if he will still be there when we cruise on the Grandeur for the first time.

champagne123...you don't say when you will be on Grandeur. This is the info I saw on the CD thread:

Grandeur OTS - Bob Leininger began November 30 until mid-April, then Mike Szwajkowski for 2 months, then Bob returns mid-June until October 6, then Mitch Merucci from October 6 until December 1, followed by Bob starting December 1 for another 4 month contract.

Do you happen to know how long a contract is? Wondering if he will still be there when we cruise on the Grandeur for the first time.

Typical CD contract is 4 months on, 2 months off. However, he could be doing fill-in work, so his contract might be only 2 months.

Glad to see him back with Royal no matter how long. I'm fairly neutral about cruise directors I have encountered as a rule, however he is one of the few I remember and thought he was excellent. Probably the only one I have any personal interaction with. Hope to see him on a future cruise.

champagne123...nice to hear that you will be joining us for your first Grandeur cruise! I'll be happy to introduce you to Lady G.;) Come on over to our roll call thread and join our precruise chat. You can find us here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55748133#post55748133

From the currently available info, it looks like we will have Mitch Merucci as our CD. I've cruised with him a few times and he is fun.

• 2 months later...
W H A T ? ! ? ! ?

his Quest and "Love & Marriage" game shows had people rolling in the aisles. I really really hope he does well. :D

Yes, the fountain skit!!!! lol

And he was always getting down and dirty with guest vs. staff dodgeball on the sportscourt, always played volleyball, always around the Promenade saying hello to people nightly as he walked from one duty to another.

Good to hear. I'm currently operating under the rumor I may see him on Enchantment.