Norwegian GETAWAY CAN WE GO TO JB MARGARITAVILLE FOR DRINKS WITHOUT $15.95 UPCHARGE?

Daddyoo

This thread has convinced me that Margaritaville has a $15.95 cover charge not only as a revenue source, but for crowd control. Paying a little extra one or two days for a great burger in a place I know I can get a seat because many refuse to pay is a no-brainer for us. It actually sounds more appealing to me with the cover than without.

I am never a wah-wah-they-nickel-and-dime person, but they never had a crowd issue at Margaritaville even when it was an a la carte upcharge venue. It was never full; there was never a wait, even when you could pay $6 or $7 for just a burger and/or nachos, a sandwich, salad, etc. I think they are trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of people for food that’s pretty cheap for them to make by including multiple courses, and they’re trying to get people to use up SDP meals that could be used on way better (and for, NCL, more expensive) food in the other specialties. Just my little conspiracy theory lol, and I don’t much care anyway...I can go get big nachos and good burgers at a half-dozen places near home later if I want [emoji39]. It just seems a little silly because the venue turns into a rather wasted space being empty most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m sorry, I feel so dense asking this after you just answered, but I guess I am just used to Margaritaville on BA. You can’t just order individual items on Escape at all? I really just wanted to go there one day for the big ol’ pile of nachos lol. [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pricing is standard whether you order just nachos or one item from each category (app/salad/entree/dessert).

This thread has convinced me that Margaritaville has a $15.95 cover because some believe that the more they charge the better it must be. It actually sounds more appealing to them. It seems no-brainer to me. Take a never full venue and by effectively raising the price you will lure in a certain group. Good for NCL.

Look, when they first opened Margaritaville it was free, just like the old burger place, and just like the old burger place it was a zoo, filled with people trying everything on the menu and leaving half of it there. The families with kids were the worst as they took the place over and turned it into a glorified McDonalds. It's much better now that they charge that 15.95. At least now you can get a table and eat in peace!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread has convinced me that Margaritaville has a $15.95 cover because some believe that the more they charge the better it must be. It actually sounds more appealing to them. It seems no-brainer to me. Take a never full venue and by effectively raising the price you will lure in a certain group. Good for NCL.

A certain group that likes knowing there is a place they can escape (Escape?) crowds on a ship with 4,200+ people all hungry at the same time. What a bunch of weirdos!

I'm not assuming the food is better because there is a charge. I know the charge will funnel more people to the free options and I'll have a more relaxing dining experience. That's just a fact I'm willing to acknowledge and appreciate. YMMV.

Look, when they first opened Margaritaville it was free, just like the old burger place, and just like the old burger place it was a zoo, filled with people trying everything on the menu and leaving half of it there. The families with kids were the worst as they took the place over and turned it into a glorified McDonalds. It's much better now that they charge that 15.95. At least now you can get a table and eat in peace!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a really good point. The full cover charge not only makes money but limits the casual eater. Go in and go hungry!

A certain group that likes knowing there is a place they can escape (Escape?) crowds on a ship with 4,200+ people all hungry at the same time. What a bunch of weirdos!

I'm not assuming the food is better because there is a charge. I know the charge will funnel more people to the free options and I'll have a more relaxing dining experience. That's just a fact I'm willing to acknowledge and appreciate. YMMV.

I have no idea why you adressed this to me :D.

Nonetheless my issue is the desire of many to happily pay extra for what shouldn't be extra. A perfect example is how there is currently a "free" buffet at Moderno on sea days.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2650990

I have no doubt that NCL will sooner then later begin charging for this meal. Many here will happily agree with this change of policy and believe it's well worth the premium. It might be but why support every single scheme Norwegian has to soak their customers.

I don't get this attitude (cruisers not NCL's . I get NCL's.)

I am a newbie to NCL, my family is cruising getaway next year. We chose the Dining package as one of the perks. So my question is do I have to pay the $15.95 for Margaritaville or not? What about the other specialty dining options?

Thanks!

I am a newbie to NCL, my family is cruising getaway next year. We chose the Dining package as one of the perks. So my question is do I have to pay the $15.95 for Margaritaville or not? What about the other specialty dining options?

Thanks!

I believe you can use Margaritaville as one of your specialty dining options.

I've read reports that Haven guests get Margaritaville for free on embarkation day for lunch.

We just got off the Getaway and I can confirm that the fee is waived for Haven guests but only on the first day. The concierge informed us we could have lunch in the Haven restaurant but encouraged us to try Margaritaville. Not sure why but we suspected it was to prevent overwhelming the Haven restaurant on the first day rush to have lunch.

We just got off the Getaway and I can confirm that the fee is waived for Haven guests but only on the first day. The concierge informed us we could have lunch in the Haven restaurant but encouraged us to try Margaritaville. Not sure why but we suspected it was to prevent overwhelming the Haven restaurant on the first day rush to have lunch.

That plus IMO to make it look "busy" to other folks wandering around ship the first day.

I have no idea why you adressed this to me :D.

Your post "this thread has convinced me..." was a direct mocking of mine. You can be a school yard bully, but don't also be obtuse. It's ugly on top of rude.

Your assessment of what "should" and "should not" be upcharged is pure opinion and just as you can have yours, I can have mine. There is no need for you to argue with me or anyone else about our dining preferences.

I am never a wah-wah-they-nickel-and-dime person, but they never had a crowd issue at Margaritaville even when it was an a la carte upcharge venue. It was never full; there was never a wait, even when you could pay $6 or $7 for just a burger and/or nachos, a sandwich, salad, etc. I think they are trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of people for food that’s pretty cheap for them to make by including multiple courses, and they’re trying to get people to use up SDP meals that could be used on way better (and for, NCL, more expensive) food in the other specialties. Just my little conspiracy theory lol, and I don’t much care anyway...I can go get big nachos and good burgers at a half-dozen places near home later if I want [emoji39]. It just seems a little silly because the venue turns into a rather wasted space being empty most of the time.

When it was complimentary, there was up to a 2 hour wait for a table. Keep in mind, this was for lunch, since it isn't even open for dinner. Instituting fees was very much for crowd control. When it was free, crowds were out of control, people were angry, the staff was overwhelmed, and it was absolute chaos.

Jimmy B. used to charge $15 for a concert... (years back of course!)

We saw him several dozen times over the years, loved his free concert

In Tampa for former President Obamas campaign.

I think ala carte is fine $15pp is not.

Johnny Rockets on RCCL can get crazy, and also Guy Fieri's Hamburgers on

Carnival. Both are Complimentary. If NCL starts charging every time a venue

is crowded it is becoming FeeStyle instead of FreeStyle. We'll just go

to the local get some Burgers, Dogs, nachos which at this time are still

included with the $4 k we will spend with our family for 6 days. But the local

gets very crowded at times too>>> Oh NO Mr. Bill!

Heck with $15 burgers folks, Bring back the Labstah! :cool:

We also took advantage of the free first day lunch for the Haven and everything was really good, it was a great start to the vacation. I thought 15,95 was high until we stopped at Margaritaville in Fort Lauderdale airport and then recently in San Antonio. Their regular menu prices make 15.95 with everything you get pretty reasonable. And the food in San Antonio was not near as good. I’ll likely pay for it next cruise, since my next will likely be a solo non-Haven one.

Beers are ten bucks at airports. I really doubt many of the 1st class Haven guests

will spend $15 a pop often if not included... as NCL uses these perks to upsell

cabins.

We'll just get a burger at the local if they don't start charging for that soon...:D

I'll bite ' what is the "convenience fee"? The contribution to the payroll so NCL doesn't have to pay (aka "gratuity")?

Yep, you got it. The 20% gratuity that they have messaged as "for your convenience". :)