Pride of America - Itinerary Change as per NCL email

pattycake08

I will be sailing on the POA on the Aug 18th 2018 sailing & just recvd an email today from NCL that they have changed the POA itinerary for sailings from June 9 - August 25, 2018. The email states they will not be visiting Hilo or Kona until further notice, and that instead they will make the following changes. Sat - Ship will overnight in Honolulu , Sunday Ship will depart Honolulu, Mom-Tues - Kahului, Maui, Wed will now be Lahaina, Maui, Thurs-Fri, Nawiliwili, Kauai, Saturday - Honolulu. We have a pre-night stay on Friday at the Marriott. Question, being that the ship is overnighting on Saturday can we still board the ship on Saturday and comes and go as we please, as long as we are back by the time the ship departs on Sunday?

YES !

I believe that is the game plan with NCL as with any other overnight ship stays.

Check in and board and come and go as you please just like if you were in a land based hotel -

don't miss enjoying the food drink and entertainment either on the ship or ashore.

Be back on board the ship about two hours before sailing on Sunday for the muster drill and that is it.

Aloha !

we just returned from the May 26 sailing. It was great. We did spend extra night in Honolulu which gave us a few hours in the morning to explore, went to the Aloha Tower, which was interesting from a historical standpoint, and it was free to go to the top! Some nice photo ops from up there. I wondering if NCL will reimburse for two missed ports? Will write to them and let you know.

Just returned from the May19-May 26 2018 sailing on POA to Hawaii. Unhappy!

NCL informed us on May 17--yes just two days before we sailed--that we would not sail to the big island of Hawaii. Instead, we had one extra night in Honolulu and a night in Lahaina, Mauai. I feel that NCL should have reached out and let their customer's know they were considering a port change instead of just thrusting it on us. An extra night in Honolulu?? It feels like NCL cheaped out on us! Take us for a sail around Oahu instead! So instead of Hilo and Kona we got Honolulu and Lahaina. We had already planned on staying two nights in front of the cruise, and two nights behind in Honolulu--so for us it was 5 nights in Honolulu. Some better customer service could have helped us plan better in advance :(

And Lahaina was nothing great (we stayed in town which was hot and very crowded). Wish we would have done something else!

I am going to leave a more detailed review specifically for the ship (we bid on a higher cabin--a suite with hot tub on the deck--$1500 PP--and did NOT get it, btw), and I was utterly surprised by the poor customer service by the waiters and shore excursion desk. But our cabin steward was wonderful :) Be forwarned: it is an older ship and the rooms are surprisingly small!!

Just returned from the May19-May 26 2018 sailing on POA to Hawaii. Unhappy!

NCL informed us on May 17--yes just two days before we sailed--that we would not sail to the big island of Hawaii. Instead, we had one extra night in Honolulu and a night in Lahaina, Mauai. I feel that NCL should have reached out and let their customer's know they were considering a port change instead of just thrusting it on us. An extra night in Honolulu?? It feels like NCL cheaped out on us! Take us for a sail around Oahu instead! So instead of Hilo and Kona we got Honolulu and Lahaina. We had already planned on staying two nights in front of the cruise, and two nights behind in Honolulu--so for us it was 5 nights in Honolulu. Some better customer service could have helped us plan better in advance :(

And Lahaina was nothing great (we stayed in town which was hot and very crowded). Wish we would have done something else!

I am going to leave a more detailed review specifically for the ship (we bid on a higher cabin--a suite with hot tub on the deck--$1500 PP--and did NOT get it, btw), and I was utterly surprised by the poor customer service by the waiters and shore excursion desk. But our cabin steward was wonderful :) Be forwarned: it is an older ship and the rooms are surprisingly small!!

It is an older ship coming out in 2006 roughly but it was majorly refurbed in 2016 and it was in very good shape.

The rooms on POA in terms of size compared to other NCL ships are not really any different.

Welcome to CC BTW.

I certainly understand your frustration with the last minute change to your itinerary. But I doubt NCL had very many choices - there's a giant volcano that erupted on the big island - and it is still erupting. I imagine NCL wasn't informed themselves much sooner than they informed you. And that late in the game, the cruise line has very few options available to them to reroute the ship. I guess the damage and situation is bad enough that NCL knows they won't be able to return to the big island for awhile so the cruise line is better able to plan and notify customers.

we just returned from the May 26 sailing. It was great. We did spend extra night in Honolulu which gave us a few hours in the morning to explore, went to the Aloha Tower, which was interesting from a historical standpoint, and it was free to go to the top! Some nice photo ops from up there. I wondering if NCL will reimburse for two missed ports? Will write to them and let you know.

What is the Aloha Tower?

We are sailing Sept 1 and at the moment still have the Big Island in our itinerary. If it changes, we can adapt and an extra day on Maui means we might make it to Hana :)

I am worried about our Old Lahaina Luau we have reserved for Sunday night on Maui. If they change our itinerary and we stay an extra night in Honolulu, we'll lose our reservation obviously. I'm thinking about making a second reservation for Monday night just in case. We didn't have to prepay when I called them, and we can cancel the morning of the Luau. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I hate to play the system, but that Luau is a highlight of the trip for me....ugh

Just got a copy of an email chain saying POA will resume both ports.

Major development…! we have been instructed from the very top to reinstate to original itinerary (Hilo & Kona) with immediate effect starting next cruise, if possible. Please check if the ports are available accordingly & revert.

Thanks,

Capt. Bjorn Ove Hansen | Vice President Nautical & Port Operations

Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 2:50 PM

To: Hansen, Bjorn Ove

Cc: Lindsay, Robin

Subject: PRIDE OF AMERICA

BJORN

please review the current situation regarding any berthing conflict and if possible convert to the original itinerary of the POA possibly starting this coming Saturday.

Please confirm once everything is aligned in order to issue the general notification once again. this to include the reinstatement of Hilo and Kona.

I will send a separate message to the Captain in order to confirm the modus operandi going forward with respect to the safety of the vessel and guests and crew

thanks and best regards

gigi

Capt. Luigi Razeto | Senior Vice President Marine Operations |DPA

Major development…! we have been instructed from the very top to reinstate to original itinerary (Hilo & Kona) with immediate effect starting next cruise, if possible. Please check if the ports are available accordingly & revert.

Thanks,

BJORN

please review the current situation regarding any berthing conflict and if possible convert to the original itinerary of the POA possibly starting this coming Saturday.

Please confirm once everything is aligned in order to issue the general notification once again. this to include the reinstatement of Hilo and Kona.

I will send a separate message to the Captain in order to confirm the modus operandi going forward with respect to the safety of the vessel and guests and crew

thanks and best regards

gigi

There’s no way that’s a real email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,

BJORN

thanks and best regards

gigi

LOL I am dying. A+ troll.

We are sailing Sept 1 and at the moment still have the Big Island in our itinerary. If it changes, we can adapt and an extra day on Maui means we might make it to Hana :)

I am worried about our Old Lahaina Luau we have reserved for Sunday night on Maui. If they change our itinerary and we stay an extra night in Honolulu, we'll lose our reservation obviously. I'm thinking about making a second reservation for Monday night just in case. We didn't have to prepay when I called them, and we can cancel the morning of the Luau. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I hate to play the system, but that Luau is a highlight of the trip for me....ugh

Did you look at Smith's on Kauai?

Visiting the Big Island now can and will provide a once in a lifetime experience for those that want to safely see what volcanic activity is like. While Volcanos National Park and the activities in that area are a major draw for tourists, the Big Island is a beautiful place with so many different places to visit. A very small area of the island is being affected by the volcano yet to watch the news you might think that the Big Island is in ruins! I hope NCL and others keep Kona and Hilo on their schedules. Now more than ever sailing around the tip of the Island will provide spectacular night views of the lava flow rarely experienced.

~~~~As I posted on similar thread... all of us who live on the Big island are amazed at the thinking of the "Corporate" offices of NCL that they chose to eliminate Kona + Hilo, at all.... from the very start of the eruption. As sad and traumatic as the event is.... ..due to the lava flows, eruption..... ITS ONLY ONE PERCENT OF THE WHOLE ISLAND.

The rest of the island is fine, and functioning "" as usual"". There's tons and tons to do and see and enjoy. Hawaii Volcanoes Natl Park is closed, and that is unfortunate, but no one will lack for enough to do, on your 1 day in each city.

For the pitiful souls, who only leave the ship to take the bus to Wal*Mat and Target...... that service will be flowing well and often.

• 3 weeks later...

Booked on Pride of America on 9/1/18 and only advice about any itinerary changes has come from internet research - not one word from NCL. Understandable that this Act of God is going to cause changes but wouldn't it be nice for NCL to keep booked (and fully-paid) passengers advised? Also, our pre-cruise tour hotel has been changed from the very nice Marriott to the ancient Hilton HawaiianVillage - the fact that we paid $150 extra for ocean view at the Marriott which apparently HHV does not have - caused NCL to offer us a $50 on-board credit. Have sailed NCL before and been pleased but this one is not going well already.

Booked on Pride of America on 9/1/18 and only advice about any itinerary changes has come from internet research - not one word from NCL. Understandable that this Act of God is going to cause changes but wouldn't it be nice for NCL to keep booked (and fully-paid) passengers advised?

You are aware that the itinerary has now changed back again?

The changes to the itinerary were not in place for long. I don’t know when NCL would have informed us, but in my experience they usually take a week or so to send notifications out to customers. At that stage, there is very little point in contacting us to say that they had changed the itinerary but now they have changed it back again.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for past cruisers who missed Hilo and Kona. I emailed customer service at NCL and was told they would reimburse us for the port charges. I haven't seen any $$ yet. I'm pretty sure the total reimbursement is around $40. They also owe me refundable OBC. Very quick to take your money, not too quick giving it back!