Epic Haven, or MSC Seaview Yacht Club?

Hi all - I've booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Epic in a Haven 2br for my family next year, 2 adults, 3 kids (6, 7 and 10 yo). I have heard that MSC's YC is very similar to Haven but cheaper, which I didn't believe at first until I saw that kids sail free on MSC.

So, today I looked at MSC Seaview for a similar Med. itinerary, nearly the same dates as my Epic cruise. The available YC room type for the five of us looks more like a standard balcony room, definitely not the size of the Epic 2 bedroom villa. But the price - it's just slightly over half of the Epic Haven. Half! Is there any reason I should stick with the Epic??

The Epic Haven is supposedly the best of the fleet. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it was pretty wonderful! You mentioned the room type on MSC was more of a standard balcony. Are you okay with that, or do you want more room? I’ve not sailed MSC, but the Haven suites, along with the Haven area, were wonderful on the Epic. I would not want a more standard room.

WOW, THIS would be a tough choice. I love Epic. Its my favorite NCL ship and the 2 bedroom suites are the best at sea. The Haven is incredible too. Never did Seaside but was going to book them until some of the reviews came in. So I got scared and did not book.

MSC has incredible deals. Best deals at sea and NO ONE can beat them. They have lured many NCL Haven guests to their Yacht Club because of price price price.

I stayed with NCL for the contemporary aspect of their ships. MSC has a big Euro flare that some like while others don't. The reviews are mixed on Seaside. Some very loyal NCL customers have raved its the best ship in the world while other NCL loyal customers say it was not great.

While the price is almost half so is the size of the room. I sailed on Epic with 5 people and everyone fit perfectly. So while you are saving money, it could be cramped in the cabin. Also the kids are not going to care about the Yacht Club. That's more of an adult thing. The tie breaker for me is your kids. I could be wrong but isn't NCL more kid friendly that MSC? So while this is a Sophie's Choice of cruises, I would vote Epic because of 3 kids and the size of the room.

However saving money on a beautiful ship like Seaside makes perfect sense.

Edit: Just thought of another tie breaker. Listening to every announcement in 7 languages could drive me overboard :eek:

Edited by david_sobe

WOW, THIS would be a tough choice. I love Epic. Its my favorite NCL ship and the 2 bedroom suites are the best at sea. The Haven is incredible too. Never did Seaside but was going to book them until some of the reviews came in. So I got scared and did not book.

MSC has incredible deals. Best deals at sea and NO ONE can beat them. They have lured many NCL Haven guests to their Yacht Club because of price price price.

I stayed with NCL for the contemporary aspect of their ships. MSC has a big Euro flare that some like while others don't. The reviews are mixed on Seaside. Some very loyal NCL customers have raved its the best ship in the world while other NCL loyal customers say it was not great.

While the price is almost half so is the size of the room. I sailed on Epic with 5 people and everyone fit perfectly. So while you are saving money, it could be cramped in the cabin. Also the kids are not going to care about the Yacht Club. That's more of an adult thing. The tie breaker for me is your kids. I could be wrong but isn't NCL more kid friendly that MSC? So while this is a Sophie's Choice of cruises, I would vote Epic because of 3 kids and the size of the room.

Perfectly put!

With children in tow, I'd definitely go with the Epic (also, my favorite ship of all time, on any line).

Thanks for the thoughts so far, keep 'em coming.

We did a similar size room with DCL (family verandah) and while it was a little crowded it was definitely doable. I know it wouldn't be nearly as luxurious as the Epic 2 bedroom though. The Seaview seems quite new so far so not a lot of reviews yet.

Edit: Just thought of another tie breaker. Listening to every announcement in 7 languages could drive me overboard :eek:

Wow cruises have really gotten intense!

In all seriousness though everyone mentioning kids seems to have the right idea. Miserable kids could ruin any experience

LOVE the MSC yacht club. Nothing like it at sea & the best deal at sea, that is why it is getting so hard to find these cabins available.

You can youtube the MSC Divina & see YC2 & YC3 cabins. VERY large. We have stayed in both & they would easily accommodate your family.

Unfortunately, the Seaside does not offer these cabin with a yacht club category attached.

There is just the 2 of us but we settled for a YC1 on the Seaside earlier this year. As usual, the service & amenities were outstanding but I guarantee you ....you would be miserable in one of those cabins. WAY TO SMALL. And extremely limited closet space.

LOVE the MSC yacht club. Nothing like it at sea & the best deal at sea, that is why it is getting so hard to find these cabins available.

You can youtube the MSC Divina & see YC2 & YC3 cabins. VERY large. We have stayed in both & they would easily accommodate your family.

Unfortunately, the Seaside does not offer these cabin with a yacht club category attached.

There is just the 2 of us but we settled for a YC1 on the Seaside earlier this year. As usual, the service & amenities were outstanding but I guarantee you ....you would be miserable in one of those cabins. WAY TO SMALL. And extremely limited closet space.

Thanks Shippy. We're a bit limited in terms of itinerary due to this cruise basically being the 2nd part of a back to back. The choices are NCL Epic, RCCL Oasis of the Seas and MSC Seaview. Haven was my top choice till I heard about MSC's YC. I agree the YC1 room looks really small.... that's a downside.

The cost difference is about $5,000 or so for a 7 day cruise - that's definitely significant for us.

Thanks Shippy. We're a bit limited in terms of itinerary due to this cruise basically being the 2nd part of a back to back. The choices are NCL Epic, RCCL Oasis of the Seas and MSC Seaview. Haven was my top choice till I heard about MSC's YC. I agree the YC1 room looks really small.... that's a downside.

The cost difference is about $5,000 or so for a 7 day cruise - that's definitely significant for us.

For that kind of $$$...you could probably get 2 adjoining YC1 on MSC with some $ to spare !

We had kids on Divinia in YC with kids but they were a bit older. We all had a great time and have 2 booked next year on Seaside. We also took their friends so we booked two rooms. Next year one of the trips we are also booking a deluxe and a YIN just to have room for all of us.

We are also just starting to research MSC YC as I’ve read great things on the boards. We have been loyal NCL Haven fans for many years - and by the way: our favorite ship is Getaway- it slightly edges out Epic for us Our holiday cruise is outlined here and includes detailed pics of the 2 bedroom - which has been an amazing experience for us. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

So while we have loved the haven- my travel agent priced out a holiday cruise (7 nites) and the pricing for the 2 bdrm was approaching $18k. Just insane prices. So... back to the MSC research!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all again for the thoughts.

I have put down a deposit for the MSC Seaview (YC). Deposit was only $198 so at least it’s a low commitment for now.

The kids clubs on MSC seem to get pretty mixed reviews. I anticipate we wouldn’t use them a ton though because the itinerary is jam packed, there isn’t even a sea day built in.

Thx for the review gotravellife!

cabins size better, larger, on NCL but everything else I think is better on MSC, price (much lower), food quality, level of service and general ambience. I have been on both.

Lat Haven trip, although a few years ago, had same menu for dinner each night, no free drinks, no attentive service at the private pool--and the pool on NCL haven is hardly a pool!!

Thank you all again for the thoughts.

I have put down a deposit for the MSC Seaview (YC). Deposit was only $198 so at least it’s a low commitment for now.

The kids clubs on MSC seem to get pretty mixed reviews. I anticipate we wouldn’t use them a ton though because the itinerary is jam packed, there isn’t even a sea day built in.

Thx for the review gotravellife!

That is one of the other nice things, not thousands in a deposit.

NCL rooms overall larger in Haven - MSC about size of minis on NCL. Current MSC newer ships have huge front lounge and bar, large pool area.

YC dinner has set menu and then part that changes each night. Food was outstanding on MSC.