Fight on the Escape

declansdad

I’ve been on 11 cruises across 3 lines and never seen one (thankfully). [emoji848]

Even if all booze is ala carte, people who want to get drunk and rowdy will still do just that.

16 for me, never saw a fight and I was on Carnival in the 80s when some really crazy stuff happened on the ships!

Truthfully the best approach in this situation is to let the combatants tire themselves out and then go in. It has nothing to do with fear, it has to do with being smart.

I agree. Let the combatants and innocent bystanders get seriously injured or even killed then step in. After all, the only real purpose of security is to find and confiscate your unauthorized beverages.....

So much for security, you want more security? Here is what happens when more security shows up

When the fight seems to be over, security including an officer start kicking a passenger, who's obviously no threat to anyone at this point, and laying on the ground. No matter what happened before this video was taken, this behaviour is absurd.

I agree. Let the combatants and innocent bystanders get seriously injured or even killed then step in. After all, the only real purpose of security is to find and confiscate your unauthorized beverages.....

Spoken by someone who obviously has zero training in crowd control or security.

I have sailed this cruise twice out of NYC (on the Breakaway) and never saw anything close to this. That was before UBP was a "perk" tossed in for almost everyone though.

Hopefully all of Staten Island and the Jersey Shore does their cruising in July, because we're sailing the Escape in August and I don't want to experience any of this nonsense or have my kids experience it.

I'm glad the guilty parties were confined to their cabins. I hope they were tossed off the ship in Bermuda as well.

Sadly for you August is the prime summer month for NY & NJ folks to cruise to Bermuda:D

I'm a Jersey guy who lives on the shore...I don't need to spend several grand to see this crap...I just need to drive out to the boardwalk on a weekend night. It's the main reason I no longer cruise the islands...especially in the summer....the whole "party boat, beach bash" vibe is not my thing.

Security has probably been told not to engage in certain situations. A slippery surface coupled with water and jutting edges could be deadly. Get a couple idiots fighting and add security to the fray could lead to worse outcomes.

Instead of some moron yelling “break up the GD fight” how about everyone clearing the area? Instead of yelling “a**hole” in unison how about, idk, leaving the area?

I saw a kid and mom walking along with ice cream. Hey mom, take your child and leave the area.

If security was armed with sticks and beat the people senseless would that be good? I think not.

It has little to do with “clientele” and everything to do with the hot sun and possibly drinking. We really don’t know if and how much was drunk. We don’t know what started it. But we do know that every moron who stuck around to watch, egg on, whip out a cell phone to record, and did not leave the area contributed to the situation.

I agree with you. Hot sun ... pool ... skimpy swimsuits on women ... and LOTS of drinking.

EVERYONE should have left. There would be no one to 'posture' for. And what was this ... a tropic hockey game? Yelling A$$hole .... juveniles.

And security with a stick/billy club/tazer? LAWSUIT all over the place.

But overall, security was completely ineffective.

It looked like there was a woman and a man on the floor when the security was kicking them.

The Carnival video was posted as an example of what happens when security rushes in and makes the problem worse. It escalated beyond what should have happened, and you can see why. When security rushed in and grabbed one guy, his female SO rushed to his aid, then other females rushed in. It quickly escalated to a near riot when, in the beginning, it was a couple of guys throwing punches.

NCL handled it better on the Escape, even though many here think security should have rushed in immediately.

The Carnival video was posted as an example of what happens when security rushes in and makes the problem worse. It escalated beyond what should have happened, and you can see why. When security rushed in and grabbed one guy, his female SO rushed to his aid, then other females rushed in. It quickly escalated to a near riot when, in the beginning, it was a couple of guys throwing punches.

NCL handled it better on the Escape, even though many here think security should have rushed in immediately.

Put me in the camp that security should acted immediately to de-escalate the situation. As someone who has worked in a law enforcement capacity in a water environment where there are many intoxicated individuals we have found that immediate de-escalation is preferred. Most fights start with two individuals, but if allowed to continue, it can easily grow into an unmanageable brawl, especially if the combatants and bystanders are intoxicated. Best practice is to immediately intervene preferably before blows are thrown and remove the combatants to a safe area where they can be talked down or secured if necessary.

The Carnival video is an example of some of the most poorly trained security I have ever seen. It looked to me like they have received zero defensive/compliance tactics training.

I agree with you. Hot sun ... pool ... skimpy swimsuits on women ... and LOTS of drinking.

EVERYONE should have left. There would be no one to 'posture' for. And what was this ... a tropic hockey game? Yelling A$$hole .... juveniles.

And security with a stick/billy club/tazer? LAWSUIT all over the place.

But overall, security was completely ineffective.

oh, so you were there and saw everything? If you weren't how do you know what security really did or did not do? Even a video can't capture everything, but I guess some people believe they can.:rolleyes:

I wish people would stop using alcohol as an excuse. How many thousands of videos have we seen with people fighting, acting badly when no alcohol was in play. How many hundreds of video are there at parents screaming at Refs and fighting at their kids baseball, soccer games?

You give NCL security way too much credit. They are great at finding and taking your unauthorized beverages and such when you board but they have very little experience or training in actual physical confrontations. They do not carry guns and a good many of them are out of shape. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they try to do, but in the end most of them are just as afraid as the average person when confronting a combative person or persons.

This is about as far from the truth as it can get, the majority of them are former Nepalese special forces (Ghurkas) , they may look small and not intimidating but you do not want to mess with them. They are told in most cases unless safety of other passengers is at stake not to engage, unless they are threatened, other staff or passengers are threatened

http://www.gurkha.com.hk/gurkha-international-manpower-services/ship-security-guards

I have sailed this cruise twice out of NYC (on the Breakaway) and never saw anything close to this. That was before UBP was a "perk" tossed in for almost everyone though.

Hopefully all of Staten Island and the Jersey Shore does their cruising in July, because we're sailing the Escape in August and I don't want to experience any of this nonsense or have my kids experience it.

I'm glad the guilty parties were confined to their cabins. I hope they were tossed off the ship in Bermuda as well.

I missed the part where it was stated that they were from NY/NJ. I've lived on the Jersey Shore my whole life and the people who usually are involved in these type of situations are the tourists. Just because the ship sails from NY doesn't mean those involved were from the NY area. You know what happens when you assume.

I wish people would stop using alcohol as an excuse. How many thousands of videos have we seen with people fighting, acting badly when no alcohol was in play. How many hundreds of video are there at parents screaming at Refs and fighting at their kids baseball, soccer games?

this exactly!!!