Choosing to "miss the boat" in Florence?

NewbyCruzerAL

We will be cruising on the Oosterdam in June 2018 on the Mediterranean Tapestry cruise from Barcelona to Venice. I was wondering if to get more time in Florence and Rome, if we told HAL we were not returning to port in Livorno and would just meet up with the ship after the Rome shore excursions, would that be a problem? We've never been to Italy and the thought of only 8-9 hours in each port is distressing. There appear to be trains from Florence to Rome every few minutes, and it seems like a great option to get more time in the Florence museums, plus early access to the Vatican museums, and also to see Rome lit up at night. Any thoughts?

It may or may not be a problem, depending on how the Immigration authorities look at an overnight vs. a day stop and whether or not you will have to clear Customs.

What you should do is make these arrangements with HAL in advance of the sailing and get it in writing. Then, assuming permission is granted, reconfirm with the Front Desk when you embark.

It is conceivable they won't know about it.

We are on the Noordam March 28th thru May 6th, our TA got a letter for us from HAL to get off Noordam on 6 April in Wellington and re-board 3 days later (April 9th) in Auckland. We were told the reason HAL gave us the letter is because we can clear customs/immigration in both wellington and Auckland, as Ruth mentioned in her post.

A few years ago we got permission from HAL to leave the ship in Nafplion and rejoin in Athens. We had a driver pick us up at the port in Nafplion and spent the day touring Mycenae and Corinth. We then went to Athens and stayed in a hotel and toured Athens the following day and rejoined the ship. With Nafplion being a tender port we would have had to be back at the ship at 2 pm for a 3 pm sailing. Not much time for anything. We were glad we did it and had a great time.

Your TA can take care of the necessary paperwork.

Terri

Please keep in mind that, even with all your paperwork in order, you will be in Italy and at the whim of the Italian authorities. I disembarked in Livorno in October of this year; normally, passports are inspected on the ship and returned by 1/2 hour after the ship has cleared.

However, for some unknown reason, this time the authorities took the passports to another location, and there was a significant delay (hours!) before they were located and returned. Several other passengers, also disembarking, missed flights and train reservations.

Be prepared to wait.

As said in other responses. Itinerary diversions must be cleared in advance by the cruise line and local immigration. Travel agents can request.

We have cruised for many years, and have done diversions, with various lines, in Japan, Norway, Italy, Namibia/Ghana, among others. Only one request was every denied---Canada is very strict and does not allow a cruise passenger to remain off itinerary, even for a day or two.

One thing to keep in mind---on rare occasions (weather, strikes, port mechanical issues, etc), itineraries are announced as changing while on the cruise. In over 600 days at sea, this has happened to us maybe a dozen or so times. Fortunately, never during one of our diversions. HIGHLY unlikely, but if it did, the passenger has the responsibility to "reach" the ship wherever

it's port change requires.

Also keep in mind that Italy is strike prone. Those trains every few minutes from Florence to Rome may come to a standstill.

Roz

More than 93% of the trains run and arrive as scheduled in Italy. Yes, strikes occur occasionally but suggesting they are a regular (or a random) occurrence is not helpful.

Strikes are not random; they are scheduled in advance and can be checked on several websites -- that info is given out regularly on the Italy boards here on CC (and on Tripadvisor). Also, scheduled strikes are sometimes called off before the day they are scheduled (same websites provide updates).

Finally, not all trains stop rolling when there is a strike. There will still be limited service, especially on key long-distance routes.

For the OP: I've read successful reports from many folks who've done this. As long as you get everything lined up with HAL, it should not be a problem for you. Enjoy!

Also keep in mind that Italy is strike prone. Those trains every few minutes from Florence to Rome may come to a standstill.

Roz

This is a very valid concern for not only trains but also other forms of transport in Italy.

When sailing out of Venice several years ago a wildcat work slowdown (aka "unscheduled strike") was called on departure day. The cruise line arranged for boats to shuttle its passengers who signed up for pre-cruise sightseeing in Venice. The boats were lined up at a dock right near Piazza San Marco.

Unfortunately for us and everyone else the people who were supposed to handle the luggage on those boats decided to go on strike strike. All passengers had to handle their own luggage to the small passenger area because the operators refused to open the luggage compartments. They also refused to help passengers carry their baggage from shoreside to the boats.

On another cruise several people including us who booked a day trip with the cruise line from Livorno to Pisa and Florence had no trouble with the portion involving transport to Florence. However it was raining very hard in Florence and there was no provision for any sheltered waiting area for the trips back scheduled to leave at 3:30pm. At 12:00 Noon we had seen all the important stuff and were soaked, so we decided we couldn't take any more rain and wanted to go back to the ship. Our tour guide recommended we take the train back to Livorno. Great idea but it turns out the trains went on strike a few hours earlier with no indication that they would resume operations to Livorno so we had to find an accommodating cafe that would let us hang out until 3:30.

It's a fair warning to be prepared for alternatives in the event of unannounced strikes in Europe.

Edited by Host Walt

...For the OP: I've read successful reports from many folks who've done this. As long as you get everything lined up with HAL, it should not be a problem for you. Enjoy!
I did that myself on a Baltic cruise. A major business issue arose that caused me to have to stay home in LA on sailing day from Rotterdam. However I was able to arrange for a flight from LA via London to Oslo, the first port of call. HAL worked with my TA to set up a boarding process in Oslo. My wife and the three couples who were joining us boarded normally in Rotterdam.

Our TA was able to arrange everything and it all worked out well.

More than 93% of the trains run and arrive as scheduled in Italy. Yes, strikes occur occasionally but suggesting they are a regular (or a random) occurrence is not helpful.

Strikes are not random; they are scheduled in advance and can be checked on several websites -- that info is given out regularly on the Italy boards here on CC (and on Tripadvisor). Also, scheduled strikes are sometimes called off before the day they are scheduled (same websites provide updates).

Finally, not all trains stop rolling when there is a strike. There will still be limited service, especially on key long-distance routes.

For the OP: I've read successful reports from many folks who've done this. As long as you get everything lined up with HAL, it should not be a problem for you. Enjoy!

This may calm some fears. But it doesn't change the validity of the caution in the original comment. One should always consider backup options.

Scheduled or not, strikes do happen. Unless the schedule is posted months in advance it is of little use to someone planning a cruise vacation.

This may calm some fears. But it doesn't change the validity of the caution in the original comment. One should always consider backup options.

Scheduled or not, strikes do happen. Unless the schedule is posted months in advance it is of little use to someone planning a cruise vacation.

When in I Italy, we often kidded Italy runs on it's own time. Same as trafffic lights s and speerd limits are suggestions, time on a clock is not allways taken serioususly. :D tha t said, I loved every minute we ever spent in Italy :).

I think your idea is perfect.

We have spent many vacations touring Italy by car and by train. We have never been inconvenienced by strikes. Most of the time the strikes are pre-announced several days in advance. So, you might want to keep tabs on this prior to making a final decision. We did experience a vaporetto strike in Venice a few years ago but it was just for the AM and did no impact us.

In fact, we have found the Italian rail system, Sicily excepted, to be very good. Well priced with a good on time record. The only time we were delayed was due to a track maintenance issue that lasted three hours or so.

Sunsets in Florence are wonderful. Well worth staying and then training to Rome first thing in the AM

You are all awesome to help me figure this out!! I appreciate all the insight and advice as this will be our first time there. In preparing for a possible strike, wouldn't it work to set it up to stay over, getting the necessary paperwork from HAL, and if there is a strike or other problem, just getting back to the ship in time to board rather than staying on in Florence? If we are there to board I doubt HAL would refuse to let us on. but I have not cruised with them before either. That keeps my options open. I think my plan would be to stay at the Florence museums until they close at 7, rather than having to leave at 4 or so to get back to the ship, maybe eating and enjoying a sunset in Florence, then taking the train to Rome that night rather than in the AM to see some of the sites illuminated, such as the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc, get a hotel close to the Vatican to get early access before it opens to the public with CityTours.com or WalksofItaly.com, which would give us a less crowded Vatican visit, plus more time to see the historic sites. Then we drag our exhausted selves to the ship to board for the trip to Naples :) This a very port intensive cruise, but I don't want to miss anything, not knowing if I will ever have the chance to return. I'm a planner who likes to maximize what I do on vacation, and see whatever I can, rather than sitting and relaxing. I realize I am trying to cram in too much, but I can rest when I get home. We added a couple of nights in Barcelona before we depart, as well as a couple of nights in Venice after we arrive, but I am also considering an overnight trip to Ferrara/Modena to give us at least a taste of a smaller town, as well as some balsamic vinegar, after we arrive in Venice, any thoughts on that? We already had more time allotted in Venice than either Florence or Rome without the two extra nights, because we have from 1pm to midnight ashore Saturday to do the after hours St Mark's tour, ride a gondola or vaporetta, walk around, etc. Then we get back on board and sleep on the ship, disembark at 6 am Sunday, so I was considering just going straight to the train station Sunday and head to Ferrara or Modena for the day and one night, then come back to Venice, maybe go to Murano before spending the last night in Venice. I know, call me crazy....

Certainly true. I never meant to give the impression that one shouldn't always have a Plan B. I know I do.

But I still can't help feeling that the train strikes in Italy are just as "overplayed" as the fear of missing the ship. It only happens in a very small minority of cases.... ;)

I've traveled in Italy for many years and have used the trains on just about every trip. Count me lucky -- or just a good planner -- but I've never encountered a rail strike yet.

I suspect that quite a few cases of what people think are wildcat strikes are actually planned. (Not suggesting anyone in this thread is guilty....) I've seen posted trip reports from folks who said there was an "unannounced" strike on such-and-such day, when in fact it was scheduled.

Fortunately a lot of strikes are scheduled quite a ways in advance, not just a few days.

I called TA, who called HAL and patched me on the phone with them. It doesn't appear to be a big deal to get a deviation. HAL also said if I change my mind I can get on the ship as scheduled rather than doing the deviation, so I will probably go ahead and get the paperwork, with my plan B to get back on the ship if the weather is bad or there is a strike or we're too exhausted to go for it. I'll book a cancellable hotel in Rome as well. If all goes as planned, I will pick up several hours in 2 fabulous locations to see more art, plus have some real Italian food and see the sunset ;) Thanks awesome CC members for pointing out risks and also calming fears!! I am grateful for all pointers.

You actually have two options to get to Rome/CiV by rail from Florence. Option one is direct to Rome Termini. The second option is Florence-Pisa-Civitavecchia. Depends on whether you want to go into Rome or simply get to the port.

IF you are plan to go directly to the port (Cv) you could also train back via Pisa. Change trains and take a train down the coast to Civitavecchia. It is about a 2.5 hr. train ride from Pisa to Civitiavecchia as I recall.(this train continues on to Rome)

Option three would be to go to Florence, overnight, and the next day pick up a rental car. Enjoy the drive through Tuscany/Umbria and then drop it off in Civ. Even if you do not plan to do this you could reserve a one way rental car as a backup just in case there is a train strike.

We have never bothered with long distance buses in Florence but you could google this. The bus station in Florence is about 2 blocks away (or is was a few years ago) from the train station.

Hope this helps you with your decsion.

• 2 weeks later...

Count us as tourists......... How can one deny going Firenza to see Duomo, and David? Such an incredible t city. though we were blessed to return, we never got enough of it,,,,,,,, not to mention the food and nearby Pisa.

Anyone used both WalksofItaly and DarkRome, so I might get a comparison of the before-hours Vatican tour?

Both get consistently good reviews so I wouldn't worry on that front. Otherwise, just read their descriptions carefully to ensure you're getting what you want (e.g., smaller group size, time of entrance, length of tour).

What are your main objectives for the Vatican visit?