How much do tiy tip the porters when you board the ship??

dixie54

If you tip more will your bags get to your room faster?? or are there any other ways to insure that your bags get to your room faster? thanks

The men who take your bags from your car and put them on giant carts are not the people who get your bags to your cabin.

That having been said, I tip $10 for all of our bags when there are three of us.

Your bags will arrive when your bags arrive. There's nothing you can do to improve the delivery time.

Direct quote from my porter on Indy - "Welcome. I am your porter. My job is to make sure that YOUR bags get on the ship"

So I said "And if I ever want to see them again, I tip you." :D "Yes, I know the drill"

He laughed and said "noooo, well yeah ok." ;)

So I tip a few dollars per bag, usually at least $5. Some say $1 per bag is enough.

No, tipping won't get your bags to you faster, but it might insure that they do get on the ship!!!! (Just kidding!)

We tip $1-2 per bag, depending on how heavy they are.

The few times we've done a shuttle, we never saw the porters, since the bus driver handled everything--we tipped HIM, not the porters.

Once the bags get onto the ship, they are in large piles, and delivered whenever...once we got all but 1 bag before sailaway--the last bag showed up at 10pm.

Porters insure your bags get put on the sorting carts. The carts are divided by deck, forward, aft, etc, etc.

When a cart is full, it is towed to the ship and moved to the sorting area where it is broken down onto smaller carts and moved to the appropriate area of the ship.

I would guess you will get some folks posting that they NEVER tip...good for them, but it is a service and you are going on vacation so tipping is appropriate....those folks probably kick puppies when nobody is looking too!

If you tip more will your bags get to your room faster?? or are there any other ways to insure that your bags get to your room faster? thanks

Hello,

We usually tip $1 a bag.

The only way it may get to your cabin quicker, is if you see it in a

pile on your cabin deck & take it yourself.

We usually arrive to the port around 11:30/12 O'clock & have our bags

before sailaway. Then again we are usually on a MUCH smaller ship. IE:

The Empress & now The Grandeur.

Have a Wonderful & Safe cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

A minimum of $1 per bag, at least $2 per bag for heavy ones then I usually round up a few bucks. These people work hard and lift a lot of heavy bags. If you can't afford to tip then don't go. Just an opinion......:D

And a very valid opinion at that. We had 4 bags for our latest cruise. I handed the guy a 10 (or so i thought) and the guy asked me if i was sure the 100 was the tip.:eek: Well i reached back in the wallet and gave the guy a 20 instead. I still saved 80 over what i gave him to start!!!

If you are leaving from a European port (ie. Barcelona) am I correct in assuming that you would tip in Euros ? Or since tipping is not such a big deal in Europe do you still tip at all? Would it then be 1 or 2 Euro per bag? TIA for any info.

We always tip $10.00 for 4 large bags. As others have said, and implied, these people work hard lifting bags all day long and greasing their palms to make sure your bags get to the ship is not a bad thing....

Happy Cruising,

TnT

]No' date=' tipping won't get your bags to you faster, but it might insure that they do get on the ship!!!! (Just kidding!)[/color'][/size]

We tip $1-2 per bag, depending on how heavy they are.

The few times we've done a shuttle, we never saw the porters, since the bus driver handled everything--we tipped HIM, not the porters.

Once the bags get onto the ship, they are in large piles, and delivered whenever...once we got all but 1 bag before sailaway--the last bag showed up at 10pm.

WELL........if you are leaving from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, then a couple extra over and above will make sure they don't swim with the fishies...!:D

BTW...the cabin attendants are supposed to deliver your bags...some of them will pay-out of THEIR pocket-another crew member to help...same as on turnaround day...some of them pay other crew members to help with the cabins...(our attendant from our Nov cruise told us this.....)

Incidentally, we had edocs last time...mde my own tags as usual...the porter loved them...AND ALL our bags showed up-together-around 2:30. I was 75% done unpacking by muster....

Remember - from most, if not all U.S. ports the people who take your bags are longshoreman. They are not working for tips. They are most likely making considerably more per hour than most of us. That said - If you want your bags to get on the ship, tip them.

The porter actually told us we did not give him enough when we gave him 3 medium bags and one small one. We gave him 3$, and he called us back and told us it was not enough. I felt justified since we pulled them over to the cart and all this porter did was put them on the cart an inch away from where we dragged them to. We gave him another dollar ...... never been asked for more.... tip, i think it is not a tip anymore but a fee! Funny cause there are signs all over that tipping is not necessary.

If you are leaving from a European port (ie. Barcelona) am I correct in assuming that you would tip in Euros ? Or since tipping is not such a big deal in Europe do you still tip at all? Would it then be 1 or 2 Euro per bag? TIA for any info.

Anybody know? Thanks

We normally tip $10.00 for 4 bags. When the bags reach the ship........there is a scanner onboard that every bag must pass thru.

From there it's the crews responsibility, mainly room stewards that are responsible to get your bags to your cabin.

Rick

I read somewhere that these guys are paid well, so it irks me their attitude for soliciting the tip. I am usually a generous tipper but not at the pier.I usually give them $1 per bag and round it up, so for 3 bags (medium) I give $4 or $5 depending how obnoxious they are. My bags have always arrived.

At Tampa, we saw no such signs about tipping or not -- and as they had two bags and perhaps twenty feet to walk with our wheeled bags (which we'd been carting around by ourselves just fine, thank you) from the curb to the waiting luggage cart, we were publicly called back to tip the porter when we did not. :confused:

I gave said porter a couple of bucks and told him, quite clearly, that it was our mistake -- how silly of us to think that it was an optional gift for polite service. If they are union, that's the last time I tip them. Or maybe I'll apply to be a porter myself. ;)

Archived