Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:47 AM.
North Carolina
222 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
If you have WiFi minutes purchased on Princess can you make calls & receive calls on the ship using Verizon WiFi Calling?
Crystal, MN
1,071 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I wondered about this also. Did some googling.

I would definitely check this out, because it's over a year old information. Again VERIFY WHAT I'M SAYING, would hate to have you incur a large bill.

Prior to going on the cruise download the google talk application for sending text messages and phone calls.

You just go to wifi settings turn it on/ find princess name.
Then under internet.princess.com
Once connected, use the google talk app to make a phone call using the internet

Hopefully there are some folks who can debunk my info or verify it, or share their experience. By the way, iPhone or Android, that might change the information on how you go about this.

Counting down the days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-----------------------------------
A proud citizen of Princess Nation

Pacific Princess -- Dec 22 2018 (Caribbean)
Regal Princess -- 2017 (West/East Caribbean)
Royal Princess -- 2015 (Southern Caribbean)
Island Princess -- 2014 (Panama Canal)
Golden Princess -- 2011 (Hawaii)
Celebrity Millenium -- 2010 (Alaska)
Emerald Princess -- 2008 (Southern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess -- 2007 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess -- 2005 (Mexico)
Dawn Princess -- 2002 (Caribbean)
Chico, California
11,805 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I haven't use WiFi calling on a ship. Mostly because I rarely make phone calls. I have, however, used it on land and it was indistinguishable from calling in the normal manner. I "believe" it will work on the ship as I see no reason that it wouldn't work. As long as you are connected to WiFi and to the Internet I think it should work fine. I mean to test it out but may, once again, flake out on the test. Like I said above, I rarely make phone calls. If my wife or I make any calls from the ship we will most definitely be trying to use WiFi calling and, as I said above, I have no reason to think it won't work - other than the truly crappy Internet connectivity. I would suggest finding a spot with a solid WiFi connection and do it there rather than doing it while wandering the ship. I tend to lose WiFi frequently when wandering around.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Los Angeles
92 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
I have not used the above mentioned app, but making phone calls via Skype or Facebook Messenger work well via the ship wi-fi...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
48 Princess Cruises, 622 Sea Days
Florida
800 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I have Verizon and used wifi calling on the Caribbean in January. Worked fine. Only made a short call but no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
San Antonio spaceship earth
8,523 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
You simply have to get on the ship's WiFi with the usual logon procedures including password. Once you are finished with the call always be sure to logoff the ship WiFi or pay the cost of keeping it active on your cell phone. You can only logon the WiFi from one device at a time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Crown 2013, 2017; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Grand 2005, 2006; Island 2011, 2013; Regal 2016; Royal 2014; Ruby 2010, 2017, 2020; Sapphire 2019; Star 2014, 2019
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
Riverside, CA
3,477 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Fuzzyape
I wondered about this also. Did some googling.

I would definitely check this out, because it's over a year old information. Again VERIFY WHAT I'M SAYING, would hate to have you incur a large bill.

Prior to going on the cruise download the google talk application for sending text messages and phone calls.

You just go to wifi settings turn it on/ find princess name.
Then under internet.princess.com
Once connected, use the google talk app to make a phone call using the internet

Hopefully there are some folks who can debunk my info or verify it, or share their experience. By the way, iPhone or Android, that might change the information on how you go about this.

Counting down the days.
One thing to add, Log Out when done. So many people forget and suck up all their minutes. I have not used this system, but I have used Skype to make calls to a land or cell phone at 8 cents a minute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
Portland, OR
124 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We downloaded the Verizon app "Message +" on our tablet, linked our cell numbers, and were able to get all text messages as well as make and receive phone calls via wifi while on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
800 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Crzn-Life
I have Verizon and used wifi calling on the Caribbean in January. Worked fine. Only made a short call but no issues at all.

To add to what I said earlier: The advice to logout is important. I used Verizon Wifi calling while logged on to the Princess internet and was very careful about logging out. After logging out I would always pull up a blank page in Safari and type in logout.com just to double check. It is very easy to forget to logout while using the phone. I did a couple of cruises ago and blew through the rest of the minutes in my account. Lucky for me that I was close to the end and lost only about 40" but it still was a loss that didn't need to happen. One gets used to using [email protected] intranet which is free but costs $$$ when you log onto the internet!

Everson, WA
49 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
We used WiFi calling with AT&T on the Coral Princess Panama Cruise.
We had 500 "free" minutes and used almost all of that time with kids and grands. No Problems.
Crystal, MN
1,071 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Thanks for the reminder to log out. Hopefully this will help the op. Might have to try it myself, though I agree with Thrak, I'd hate to lose connection in the middle of a call.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-----------------------------------
A proud citizen of Princess Nation

Pacific Princess -- Dec 22 2018 (Caribbean)
Regal Princess -- 2017 (West/East Caribbean)
Royal Princess -- 2015 (Southern Caribbean)
Island Princess -- 2014 (Panama Canal)
Golden Princess -- 2011 (Hawaii)
Celebrity Millenium -- 2010 (Alaska)
Emerald Princess -- 2008 (Southern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess -- 2007 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess -- 2005 (Mexico)
Dawn Princess -- 2002 (Caribbean)
Orange Park, Florida
4,935 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by earlydiner
We used WiFi calling with AT&T on the Coral Princess Panama Cruise.
We had 500 "free" minutes and used almost all of that time with kids and grands. No Problems.
Good to know. Thanks. Next cruise is Alaska on Coral and will try wifi calling using ATT. I guess on shore since Alaska is part of the USA, calls are per your plan (for us free).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!!
Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern,April 2001, 7 days ~~
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002, 7 days ~~
Cross-Country RV trip, Summer, 2003, 60 days ~~
Regal Princess, Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004, 15 days ~~
Caribbean Princess, E Carib, Nov 13-20, 2004, 7 days
Coral Princess, Alaska SB, May 21-28, 2005, 7 days
Star Princess, E Carib, Oct 16-23, 2005, 7 days ~~
HAL ms Westerdam, E Carib, April 2-9, 2006; 7 days
Sun Princess, S Carib, Nov 30-Dec 10, 2006; 10 days
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Oct 31, 2007, 10 days
Grand Princess, 3 Continent TA, 4/12/08, 20 days
Crown Princess, Quebec to FLL, 15 days, Oct 23, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy, Bahamas, Nov 26, 2011, 5 days
Crown Princess, S Carib, March 17, 2012, 7 days
Carnival Fascination, Bahamas, June, 2012, 5 days
Ruby Princess, TA & Greek Isles, Apr 28-May 24, 2013, 26 days
Sacramento Valley
317 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by GloriaF
Good to know. Thanks. Next cruise is Alaska on Coral and will try wifi calling using ATT. I guess on shore since Alaska is part of the USA, calls are per your plan (for us free).
Coral is trying out unlimited plans on the Coral and the Grand Princess.
Check out this thread.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2608774
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
/*Prior Cruises:
03/97 | Carnival | Holiday from Long Beach RT to Catalina and Ensenada
11/98 | Carnival | Holiday from Long Beach RT to Catalina and Ensenada
02/03 | Carnival | Elation from Long Beach RT to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas

08/04 | Royal Caribbean | Serenade of the Seas from Vancouver RT to Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Hubbard Glacier
12/05 | Royal Caribbean | Vision of the Sea from Long Beach RT to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas

07/14 | Princess Cruises | Star Princess from San Francisco RT to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer Glacier, Hoonah
03/16 | Princess Cruises | Grand Princess from San Francisco RT to Santa Barbara, Long Beach, San Diego, Ensenada
02/17 | Princess Cruises | Grand Princess from San Francisco RT to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Manzanillo
02/18 | Princess Cruises | Coral Princess from Ft Lauderdale to SF, Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sur, Cabo
*/