Google thought I might find this interesting.

clueless2

Thanks for link and including your own stories for contrast. That was great to read.

I can add some of my own since my first round the world cruise in 1977 was on the Galileo which at the time was an Italian passenger ship, which was later converted to become the first all suites ship, the Meridian that started the whole cruising experience for Celebrity Cruise Lines - where the new concept of comforts and experience on board became as important as actually getting to the destinations.

The former ship was basically a bus that got you from point to point and fed you with bunk bed cabins, baths down the hall for the cheap seats. First class was nicer but still pretty utiltiarian. And we all hung out on deck around the small, deep plunge pool pretty much the way it looked on the old photos of that ship.

My memories of the heat going through the Panama Canal on that old ship were also intense, though the ship did claim it had rudimentary A/C. During the hottest time in my inside cabin, a technician came and tapped on it and told me not to worry, Signorina, it would be fine in a few days. (He knew we would be through the worst of it, and lo and behold the same old pokey A/C did work just fine, a few days later.)

Our last stop on that ship was in Curacao - 1977. Just recently there on the the Nieuw Amsterdam (2017) - 40 years later and (sadly) it has changed almost beyond recognition. But the better for the local economy.

Thanks for link and including your own stories for contrast. That was great to read.

I can add some of my own since my first round the world cruise in 1977 was on the Galileo which at the time was an Italian passenger ship, which was later converted to become the first all suites ship, the Meridian that started the whole cruising experience for Celebrity Cruise Lines - where the new concept of comforts and experience on board became as important as actually getting to the destinations.

The former ship was basically a bus that got you from point to point and fed you with bunk bed cabins, baths down the hall for the cheap seats. First class was nicer but still pretty utiltiarian. And we all hung out on deck around the small, deep plunge pool pretty much the way it looked on the old photos of that ship.

My memories of the heat going through the Panama Canal on that old ship were also intense, though the ship did claim it had rudimentary A/C. During the hottest time in my inside cabin, a technician came and tapped on it and told me not to worry, Signorina, it would be fine in a few days. (He knew we would be through the worst of it, and lo and behold the same old pokey A/C did work just fine, a few days later.)

Our last stop on that ship was in Curacao - 1977. Just recently there on the the Nieuw Amsterdam (2017) - 40 years later and (sadly) it has changed almost beyond recognition. But the better for the local economy.

Thank you OlsSalt for your story! I enjoyed it too!

And to the OP I really appreciate your link and also your views as well.

Denise:)

Thank you for reminding me of our first Celebrity cruise which was on the Meridian. In order to pass each other in the cabin, one of had to walk across the bed which was against two walls.