FYI key card in room for lights and air

sooner33

Just a FYI especially if you are in yacht club. You can go to the concierge and get a blank key that you can out in the wall so you don’t have to use your key card for lights and air and can keep air going all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bear in mind that there'll be a light on outside your cabin door that alerts the steward that you're in the cabin, when you leave a card in the slot so that delays him/her making up your room. (Though on Seaside & Meraviglia there's now a switch near the door that you can press to request the room be attended to).

Keeping a card in the slot only affects the lights. The air-conditioning still functions without a card in.

I always carry an old hotel room key card with me for putting in the slot, but I didn't know they offered blanks (which I thought they wouldn't do, as the whole purpose of those things is to save energy, and therefore money for the cruise line). Good to know though!

Bear in mind that there'll be a light on outside your cabin door that alerts the steward that you're in the cabin, when you leave a card in the slot so that delays him/her making up your room. (Though on Seaside & Meraviglia there's now a switch near the door that you can press to request the room be attended to).

Keeping a card in the slot only affects the lights. The air-conditioning still functions without a card in.

I think the main concern is power to the outlets.

On Meraviglia the Air Con is turned off when the balcony doors are opened.

I learned this when I complained to my butler that the A/C control was not working properly. and he demonstrated how the balcony doors interacted with the controls

Any card will NOT work. It’s has to have the chip in the new msc cards. There is 2 switches for dnd and to make up room that you can hit. That’s why I went to concierge to ask for a second card but we couldn’t get it so they gave me a blank one. It works great

I think the main concern is power to the outlets.

I was going to include in that post that the outlets work without a card in according to what's been stated on the forum before. If your steward sees things left plugged in by you, he'll disconnect them for safety reasons - there would be no need if there was no power in the outlets when you've removed your card.

I know that I've (inadvertently) left my phone on charge before while out of the cabin, but can't remember if it charged so I can't say for certain. It's very easy, though, to check this out. Just plug something in and remove your card from the slot; then see if the item is being powered or not. If it is, then the only point of keeping a card in the slot is to keep the lights on - and why would you want to do that?

Plus LOL our outlet that is meant to be for USB has no, well, USB. Just two empty USB shapes. Somebody forgot to put the actual input in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you let Guest Services know? I’m sure the electrical department has extra outlet plugs.

Any card will NOT work. It’s has to have the chip in the new msc cards.

Exactly! Any card will NOT work on MSC Seaside! This is the first ship I´ve experienced this. Usually a paper business card or any other card works (and the card does not need a magnetic strip - it´s simply that the card pushes away a contact in the bottom of the slot). NOT so on the MSC Seaside. Here only the RFID room cards did work.

steamboats

The only reason I can think of for wanting there to be power in the cabin when it's unoccupied is to leave items on charge. However, this act poses a risk of fire (which is the reason why the slot system is in place) and is not permitted, so why would anyone want to do it?

The only reason I can think of for wanting there to be power in the cabin when it's unoccupied is to leave items on charge. However, this act poses a risk of fire (which is the reason why the slot system is in place) and is not permitted, so why would anyone want to do it?

Exactly

There are 4 lights outside of each room that indicate DND, Make Up Room, Card in Slot and one other I cannot remember.

So leaving your key in the slot means you won't have your room cleaned unless you hit the make up room button. However if you do that the steward will simply remove the card and place it on your bed or somewhere obvious for when you return.

If you need to charge your devices other than at night, just bring a battery brick that you can plug into during the day.

FYI, for at least the Seaside, if you have the MSC wristband and you're staying on board the ship, you can leave your card in the slot in your room and use your wristband to unlock your door and make purchases etc.

How much did your wristband cost? Did you get as soon as got onboard?

Did you let Guest Services know? I’m sure the electrical department has extra outlet plugs.

We used an adapter in the regular plug receptacle. I will let them know but I bet the associated wiring is all missing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a thought on the original post, does this not conflict with the cruise lines telling people not to leave a card in the slot due to the fact that it could in some instances cause a fire!

Sorry to disagree. We want t on to keep room cool. And it does keep things charged if you want and our butlers have not unplugged anything

Just a thought on the original post, does this not conflict with the cruise lines telling people not to leave a card in the slot due to the fact that it could in some instances cause a fire!

No. I told the concierge exactly what I wanted to do and they gave me a blank card. We like the room cold and to stay cold. This is more for air then charging things etc.