Help! Looking for drive options for the Yukon road in Skagway

Marie.A

Hi travelers,

I'm going to my 1st cruise next week in Alaska and I'm really excited :D

Only few more steps to be ready to go!

For Juneau, I would love to do an excursion on the Glacier (canoe + hike on the glacier). Do you know locals tour company? So far I found 2 and there was not a significant price difference versus the cruise line.

For Skagway I plan to do the Yukon road but will you recommend to :

1) rent a car

2) go with a local tour company to do it with a small group

3) go with a private driver

In any case do you have some addresses?

Moreover, can you precise me if:

- Currently, are there any renovation on the Yukon road?

- If I rent a car does my insurance (I'm a AAA member) will covert me as I'll cross the border US/Canada?

- Is it easy after to come back or should I expect a long line to cross the border ?

- Any small coffee shop/restaurant on the road?

- what do you suggest in addition to Bove island, Carcross and Emeral lake?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!

Marie

Hi travelers,

I'm going to my 1st cruise next week in Alaska and I'm really excited :D

Only few more steps to be ready to go!

For Juneau, I would love to do an excursion on the Glacier (canoe + hike on the glacier). Do you know locals tour company? So far I found 2 and there was not a significant price difference versus the cruise line.

For Skagway I plan to do the Yukon road but will you recommend to :

1) rent a car If you want a car rent ASAP. There aren't many cars for rent in Skagway.

2) go with a local tour company to do it with a small group I would go with a tour operator or the cruise line.

3) go with a private driver

In any case do you have some addresses?

Moreover, can you precise me if:

- Currently, are there any renovation on the Yukon road? Summer time is road renovation season. This can change daily.

- If I rent a car does my insurance (I'm a AAA member) will covert me as I'll cross the border US/Canada? You'll have to check with the AAA if they cover you in Canada.

- Is it easy after to come back or should I expect a long line to cross the border ?

- Any small coffee shop/restaurant on the road? No coffee shop or restaurant until Carcross .

- what do you suggest in addition to Bove island, Carcross and Emeral lake? Take train bus combination that goes by train to Carcross and back from Carcross by bus.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!

Marie

Keep in mind that you'll require a passport or enhanced drivers licence to cross the Canadian border.

I suggest you ask these questions on Trip advisor site, the sister to this site, for land travel. On the TA site, choose Forum. You'll have to look carefully for Forum on the opening page, near the top of the page. You may see three dots, and if you hover on that, Forum will drop down in a menu. Choose that, and from there it will be easy to find a Yukon Forum. Bbthere you will find people who know the area, and will provide answers to your questions. The TA Forum has been a great help to me.

I think the highway you want is called the Klondike highway, not Yukon highway.

Good luck with your search. It's a beautiful part of the world.

I'm sorry but waiting until one week before your cruise to make your plans will be a daunting task.

Private excursions sell out well in advance. And any ship excursion including a glacier landing or walk will similarly have a long wait list.

And as noted above rental cars in Skagway are scarce. If one is still available on such short notice the rate will be heart-attack inducing.

I would just take the ship excursion. I did the one where we went up to Carcross and then came back on the White Pass Rail. If you are not driving you will better appreciate the amazing landscape as well as getting a great history legend about the stampeders who started their journey to the Klondike gold fields from Skagway and nearby Dyea. I booked mine once I was on the ship without any trouble.

We did that trip twice: the first time through Chilkoot Tours. We took the train which was amazing and then they shuttled us to the Yukon in a van. We noted the road was quite good and so rented a car the next time.

Some other posters also mentioned that you are cutting it close with only a week to go. The car rental company, Avis, was VERY busy and there was quite a waiting line to rent as all their business happens at the same time of day. We also used Murray's Guide.

Offhand, I would recommend the first option for you. The train trip is really spectacular. You may have few choices at this late date, but the day is worth it.

Thanks a lot for your help! That's really usefull.

I already booked the shore excursion with the cruise line in Juneau and I just booked a car rental in Skagway (with Avis). I really like the idea of freedom as Geoherb mentionned. As for the things to see on the road, I'll mix the Murray'sGuide with my previous research.

I can't wait!

Marie