Mosquitos onboard?

skis2

I've been on 50 cruises and I cannot remember ever getting bitten by a mosquito either on the ship or on a shore excursion. Maybe I'm just very lucky because I certainly do get bitten at home on Long Island. I do have to admit, however, that I never cruise during June, July or August, so maybe that has something to do with it.

We have never seen a mosquito on a cruise ship. They are actually terrible fliers so you won't find them at sea. They also don't do A/C very well and tend to be out more at night. I have been bitten in FL before a cruise, but never on one. Even in Belize in the rainforest where there were a ton, we used Off wipes and had no bites. That's the only time I've ever seen them on a cruise. If you ever notice, mosquitoes are rare near the ocean and that's due to sea breezes.

I was bitten no less than 15 times on my face, arms and torso during excursion to Lamanai ruins in Belize. I had sprayed myself with insect repellent before getting on the tender and it was of no use. The itch is unbearable. The swelling turn into red lumps and did not disappear until 1 months later.

I had heaps in my cabin last time out. Lucky the bulkheads and ceilings were white and the mozzies stood out. Swatted about forty of them, a few were full which left small red blotches.

The reason that they were so bad is that there was a late passenger to pick up. Then when sailing, in the dark, to the anchorage we ran into a mud bank close to the mangroves. We had to wait until the tide came in to float again. When we re-positioned the mosquitoes went away.

The stupid captain was relegated to mosquito squatting duties (I did get them all eventually) in between cooking/serving the dinner. :D

I live in Florida so it is all over the news here. We sail in a couple weeks. I ordered the insect repellent the CDC recommends along with spray for our clothing. I'm also going to take a big tube on anti-itch cream just in case.