Time to put this rumor to rest - Tier level requirement changes to C&A

Article today sums it up.

"In addition, she [head of marketing Besty O'Rourke] confirmed that Royal Caribbean has been evaluating other program options— including the possibility of increasing what's required to reach the top tier, and, in turn, rewarding those who get to that top tier in a more robust way.

But she also stressed that if the line would choose to take that type of step, any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

Hope this helps those of you like me who were left in limbo as to whether you would retain your status in the future and were hesitant to make future bookings.

Thus the only thing that is true is that the changes today were "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" will be in the future.

"In addition, she [head of marketing Besty O'Rourke] confirmed that Royal Caribbean has been evaluating other program options— including the possibility of increasing what's required to reach the top tier, and, in turn, rewarding those who get to that top tier in a more robust way.

But she also stressed that if the line would choose to take that type of step, any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

Hope this helps those of you like me who were left in limbo as to whether you would retain your status in the future and were hesitant to make future bookings.

Thus the only thing that is true is that the changes today were "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" will be in the future.

Nice to know what I've been posting is being confirmed by Royal.

And at the moment the future is January.

Do you have the link to this article?

Currently this is being reported in Travel Agent News Letters which we are not allowed to link on Cruise Critic.

Just Google O'Rouke specifing the last 24 hours and several references will pop-up. Of course, CC is also reporting this information from O'Rouke.

Grandfathering is the worst possible solution. It's neither here nor there. The only problem I have with RCI's decisions is that 1) they are generally poorly communicated and 2) tehy don;t have the courage of their convictions to stick with a decision once it's made.

Make a decision, stop the bleeding and solve the problem once and for all.

Grandfathering is the worst possible solution. It's neither here nor there. The only problem I have with RCI's decisions is that 1) they are generally poorly communicated and 2) tehy don;t have the courage of their convictions to stick with a decision once it's made.

Make a decision, stop the bleeding and solve the problem once and for all.

Couldn't agree with you more Patrick........that says it all.

So if they change the number of cruises to reach D+, us Diamonds will be left out in the cold again!:(:(:(

Well it certainly will mean a few more cruises or cruise credits (who knows at this point how many)

Doesn't surprise me.........they had to do something. I too like the grandfather part.......if they hold to it.

I agree that grandfathering is a necessity if they wish to avoid another firestorm of protest like they experienced after last September's firestorm. The problem has been evident for years and each month of delay has only exacerbated the problem. By January who knows how many more people will have reached the highest levels. A year ago they withdrew concierge lounge privileges from diamond members supposedly because of the overcrowded conditions in the lounges. By next January the number of new Diamond and Diamond Plus members will take a bad situation and only make it worse. Patrick is correct, their hesitation and inability to make and stick to difficult decisions only promotes confusion and is a source of irritation. In all too many cases they prefer to observe Charley Brown's slogan "Never do today, what you can put off until tomorrow", when in fact they should adopt Pogo's observation: "We has met the enemy and he is us".

I agree that grandfathering is a necessity if they wish to avoid another firestorm of protest like they experienced after last September's firestorm. The problem has been evident for years and each month of delay has only exacerbated the problem. By January who knows how many more people will have reached the highest levels. A year ago they withdrew concierge lounge privileges from diamond members supposedly because of the overcrowded conditions in the lounges. By next January the number of new Diamond and Diamond Plus members will take a bad situation and only make it worse.

Totally agree..........but man, one thing I learned in business is never take away a benefit that somebody has already earned..........but I guess it happens all the time.

But they had to do something..........they just have to figure out how to do it with the LEAST firestorm possible.......I don't envy them.....their track record on this time of thing has not been shall we say stellar.

Here we go once again...

It is all self-induced by RCCL as we all know.

They sweetened the pot to draw the $'s and now are in a real quagmire, they do this so well!

Simple as that, they dangled the carrot to draw, it worked and now they (as usual) shoot themselves in the foot!

I just love these threads because I know that RCCL reads every word...

We saw this coming years ago and have pretty much left RCCL because of all the bad (IMHO) decisions. They seem to make a lot more of them than the other lines. It was a very good decision for us...

The grandfathering is a must and I honestly couldn't see them not doing it. You can reduce benefits (and cause a firestorm) or you can reduce people's status -- which people feel that they earned -- and cause a [something way worse than a firestorm.] You can't tell people they've earned a status and then take that away and keep those customers. It would destroy any faith that Ds/D+s have left in the brand.

If they grandfather and have to raise the #s for advancement I won't be upset because I realize it's clearly necessary. It does mean I won't make D+ anytime soon but that's life.

The grandfathering is a must and I honestly couldn't see them not doing it. You can reduce benefits (and cause a firestorm) or you can reduce people's status -- which people feel that they earned -- and cause a [something way worse than a firestorm.] You can't tell people they've earned a status and then take that away and keep those customers. It would destroy any faith that Ds/D+s have left in the brand.

If they grandfather and have to raise the #s for advancement I won't be upset because I realize it's clearly necessary. It does mean I won't make D+ anytime soon but that's life.

A lot of people are driven by those "numbers", you raise it and they may say "later days" RCCL. I realize the necessity like you do but they created a monster. A stepped grandfathering is the only safe way in my book... If someone told me "this if you do that" then they better honor it! Plain and simple in my book and I know I am not alone, this has been proven in the past...

What she didn't mention in the article which I know will be part of the restructuring is that cruise credits will be based on days sailed. So the days of fattening your cruise credit totals with 3-4 day cruises on Majesty and Monarch for instance will soon be coming to an end. And to be honest I think that change is long overdue. Why should someone who sails an 11 night cruise receive the same amount of credit as someone who sailed a three night cruise. It never made any sense to me.

What she didn't mention in the article which I know will be part of the restructuring is that cruise credits will be based on days sailed. So the days of fattening your cruise credit totals with 3-4 day cruises on Majesty and Monarch for instance will soon be coming to an end. And to be honest I think that change is long overdue. Why should someone who sails an 11 night cruise receive the same amount of credit as someone who sailed a three night cruise. It never made any sense to me.

Your logic makes perfect sense to me!

If you read between the lines, what this could be saying is that whilst the grandfathering would be at present tier, it does not say that a new top tier would not be introduced. At present people that have achieved 24+ cruise credits to be D+ and those that have done many more cruises ( Super Mario 300 ) are all on the same tier. A new status should be introduced at say 50 cruises, and the family same status as parents structure should be scrapped. Only those that have actually taken the required number of cruises should be credited with them. It is crazy that a baby on its first cruise should be classified as D+ on their first cruise.

Yes Royal should continue to look after the best customers, I could have purchased a nice house with the money I have spent with them. :D

So true............I never understood that either.

Amen to that! We have never sailed any cruise shorter than 7 days and have done several 11-day cruises, which have only earned us one cruise credit. That has never seemed fair to me.

That's essentially how it's done on HAL. You get one "cruise day credit" for every day you sail. Their tier breaks are at 30 days, 75 days, and 200 days. You get double credits for suites, and an extra credit for every $300 you spend while on board.

How would they account for past cruises one has taken if they were changing over to nights sailed? The prospect seems daunting.

It seems easy to me. They know which cruises we've taken, how long they were and what cabin we were in. They just convert them to days cruised and if they are giving double days for suites, they double the days of those cruises. I'm sure there would be software that would do the conversions for them if that is indeed how they plan to do it.

That would be fine with me. I'm sure a lot of people would go backwards in seniority...but apparently they will be grandfathered in to their level but they won't move ahead so quickly anymore.

Gina

Archived