Recent Eurodam Le Cirque report

tcook052

I dined alone at Le Cirque on Eurodam 2 Feb. and wanted to share my impressions of the special theme night in the Pinnacle Grill and I thought it was superb and as good if not better than other meals I've consumed in this venue on past HAL cruises.

The restaurant really wasn't decorated in a special way but the place settings did have these large orange bordered with white centre plates with a small cartoon monkey on them that I overhead another diner remarking on. A little whimsical maybe but definately different.

I did opt for the $20 per person a special wine offering which was 3 glasses selected for the special dinner and served by a gracious wine host Anna. The first was a sparking wine, followed by a glass of Italian Ruffino Pinot Grigio white wine ending with a glass of rich, red Italian Villa Florita Barbera D'Astl Superlore.

Each person was first served an Amuse which was pate Foi Gras (goose liver mousse with rhubarb chutney) and it was good and something I hadn't tried before.

The appetizer was Lobster Salad "Le Cirque" (poached lobster with haricot and citrus) Enjoyed it. ^

Next came the soup which was the Sweet Corn Soup that was prepared table side. On the bottom of the soup bowl were ground corn fritters, wood ear mushrooms and a small handful of whole kernals of corn. The thick corn soup was served from a tureen and does make for quite a presentation. Very tasty and I almost wanted to ask for seconds. :D

There were 3 choices for the main menu:

Wild Halibut with leek fondue, Rocca Di Fransinello sauce

Rack of Lamb - goat cheese panisse, artichokes and arugula

Cote de Boeuf - (aged prime rib steak) - horseradish flan, sweet and sour baby beets for two. I opted for the beef and was advised the 32 ounce portion served for two would be dropped to 20 ounces as I was dining solo. When it was served the waiter, a Hungarian named Robert, cut it table side and it was a generous portion cooked medium as requested. Again another ^

Side Dishes were a choice of:

Seasonal vegetables, a mixture broccoli, summer squash, cauliflower, bamboo shoots, zuccini in a truffle oil. I skipped this one (all the while hearing my mother's voice about eating my veggies :D)

Pommes Dauphine, I had this side which is mashed potatoes made into tiny puffs and quickly fried. Very tasty though could've had more as the little basket they're served in only had a half dozen or so.

Dessert:

Chocolate Souffle was served hot with vanilla ice cream and was a nice way to end a great meal.

The other choices were Creme Brulee Le Cirque and an assortmen of sorbets

I lingered over a coffee to close the visit and from start to finish the whole meal took about 90 minutes though it was well paced and I wasn't sitting for longe gaps in between the various courses. Very attentive service from both the wine host and the waiter. The maître d' stopped a few times to inquire as to how everything was and I assured him I was very much enjoying the meal. I gotta say after the less than positive reactions others have had, especially here on CC where it's been savaged, I really am glad I stuck to the course and didn't cancel because it was a very pleasant experience. Were I on another HAL cruise and this special theme night was offered I'd probably do it again it was that good.

I'll close by mentioning most men had a jacket and tie on, myself included, as this is a somewhat more formal dining venue but there were several that came in with polo shirts and nothing was said so take that for what it's worth.

So that was my Le Cirque experience. :)

I dined alone at Le Cirque on Eurodam 2 Feb. and wanted to share my impressions of the special theme night in the Pinnacle Grill and I thought it was superb and as good if not better than other meals I've consumed in this venue on past HAL cruises.

:)

If you are paying more $$$, shouldn't it be better than...Why would anyone pay more $$$ for something just as good as...:rolleyes:

I paid for a BMW but they gave me a Toyota and that's OK because it's just as good as? Doesn't work for me.

If you are paying more $$$, shouldn't it be better than...Why would anyone pay more $$$ for something just as good as...:rolleyes:

I paid for a BMW but they gave me a Toyota and that's OK because it's just as good as? Doesn't work for me.

You're kvetching about word symantics? :rolleyes: The point is it was IMHO well worth the dollars I paid for it.

Thanks for that thorough review. I had avoided Le Cirque on my last 2 cruises because of the largely negative reviews I had read on CC. It's refreshing to read something so positive. Maybe we'll try it next time we're on Eurodam or NA.

Thank you for your report! It's nice to read that it was a fine experience for you. Perhaps they're finally getting their act together? Bon! :)

I was especially pleased to read that a single diner can order the beef entrée, and will be accommodated. It would be a shame to be denied what you want just because you're not paired up.

That is perfectly fine and I agree with you on that point but that is not what you originally said!

As Charlie Brown would say, good grief. :rolleyes: I stand by my previous comments that this Le Cirque meal was one of if not THE best I've had in the PG regardless of price.

The irony is I had a sneaking suspicion I'd come in for some fire for posting a positive review of Le Cirque but never thought it would be my words rather than the sustance of the experience that would come under such close scrutiny.

I also want to thank you for the detailed review. We are scheduled to dine there in June aboard the Rotterdam. Like RuthC, I am glad they will do the beef for one. We will have three in our party so we can try all the entrees :D.

kirk

I, too, am happy to hear a solo can order the beef entree. I eat very little beef so for me it doesn't matter but the menu is so limited that to restrict it further by making the beef only to be served for two wasn't a great idea. They must have changed the 'rules'.

Thanks for your review.

We had a pleasant evening at our Le Cirque dinner.

Does it sound like perhaps HAL is finally getting the kinks worked out of the Le Cirque experience? I was one of the unhappy beta testers who had a rather disappointing experience, but now we're getting more and more positive reviews. While I wish HAL had gotten the whole thing running smoothly before unveiling it to paying guests, I am glad if indeed the whole thing is starting to live up to the hype!

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I had read many negative responses about this experience and had decided not to do it on our upcoming sailing. Your comments have made me change my mind (especially if they can do the beef for one, as I eat beef but my partner does not).

Thanks again!!

:) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our Westerdam cruise and enjoyed the Le Cirque dinner very much. It was exactly as tcook052 posted. The only "negative" for us - We both ordered the prime rib, (which was cooked to perfection) - but they gave one to each of us which was waaaayyyy too much. We could have easily shared one. We would do it again - but ask for only 1 prime rib steak.

Cathy

Nevermind! I was just able to book le cirque for our march Noordam cruise through the HAL website! Can't wait to experience it... An thanks for your thoughtful review. It encouraged me to give it a try.

On a related note, I hope the 'master chef table' special dining experience is offered on our cruise. Bon appetit!

• 1 month later...
Just got back from our Westerdam cruise and enjoyed the Le Cirque dinner very much. It was exactly as tcook052 posted. The only "negative" for us - We both ordered the prime rib' date=' (which was cooked to perfection) - but they gave one to each of us which was waaaayyyy too much. We could have easily shared one. We would do it again - but ask for only 1 prime rib steak.[/size']

Cathy

Now what happens if I request foie gras deux?

VBG

I can forego corn soup but Foie Gras, ahhhhhh:D

Just FYI for the OP: the "Monkey" chargers, as you described them are the "Logo" and registered trademark of Le Cirque. They are not just there for whimsey for however cute they may be.

I too enjoyed the Le Cirque experience on the N/A for Valentines Day.

The evening was very much as the OP described, but I remember the amuse as being slightly different, but very nice.

The Lobster salad was topped with a most generous piece of lobster.

The presentation of the Corn Soup was very elaborate and dramatic, but I thought something more "gourmet" than corn soup would have been in order.

I had the Rack Of Lamb which was beyond excellent, very flavorful and butter tender. Possibly the best I have ever had.

The steak entree is NOT listed as for two on the menu, as would be most chateau-brand.

The one part of the entire experience that had been planned and announced was special Le Cirque attire for the waiters & servers. This Idea seems to have been abandoned.

All in all, the experience was very worth the surcharge, JMHO

r.

Thank you for the great review. I am very much looking forward to this special dinner, we will be dining Le Cirque for our tenth anniversary aboard the Westerdam, and it sounds absolutely perfect for that special night.

I have said it before in other threads, to me, the lobster salad alone looks and sounds worth the price of admission!

Archived