Free way to communicate with family while at sea.

GApeach54

Have whoever you are communicating with sign up at carnival dot com Make up screen name then register for funville then while on cruise use currently on board under the forums. But before you go do a test because my dad wasnt able to get hooked so I had to give him my screen name and password. Hope this helps. If you have problems ask Mary and micheele for help on the carnival website.

And according to something I read in a previous thread, you need to remember that everyone can read what you post, so you may want to tell your family that they shouldn't divulge any deep, dark family secrets.:p

But don't you still have to purchase the internet package to get on the internet? So, it's technically not free, right??

Not if you go directly to "Currently on board" there is no charges. Open your browser and a Carnival page will open and you can select to purchase time or if you look for the Carnival currently on board button it will take you where you need to go.

Carnival.com is FREE ACCESS for their Funville... Currently on board... then create your userid and password and your thread...

Do this NOW...

Then once on board, you log in on their computers in the Internet Cafe... OR, if you bring your own, you just connect and on the main page, there is a box with the FREE ACCESS options...

It's EASY PEASY and very fun. As others have said... everyone can read it, but then... you just post general info... Altho' I've seen notes to kiddos and parent and baby sitters about meds or appts or ... But just be creative about how you post it!!

I hope this will help...

This is my thread, that I had while I was on board...

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/for...93/792948.aspx

and here is how to log on while on board... I used my laptop in the room, but the internet cafe is right next to the Lobby Bar...

Go to Connect to...

Find the Carnival connection and click on it and connect. It's unsecured and my computer reminds me of this and asks do I want to connect anyway... YES...

Then I click on my Internet... and the Carnival screen comes up...

232323232%7Ffp532%3C9%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544796832%3Anu0mrj

Click on the top one in that reddish orange box: "Carnival Connection"

232323232%7Ffp53487%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A5732%3Anu0mrj

Anything in that reddish box is FREE!!! And you're doubly protected, cause, it will NEVER ask for your cabin number in any FREE area!!! So if it ever asks for your name or cabin number or birthday... STOP... You're paying for the next click... But this is FREE!!!!!

Then go to Community & Buzz...

232323232%7Ffp5339%3A%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A6832%3Anu0mrj

Then go to Forums...

232323232%7Ffp53493%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544796%3B32%3Anu0mrj

Then under User Groups, click on Currently OnBoard...

232323232%7Ffp53487%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A7732%3Anu0mrj

Then find your thread and continue posting...

232323232%7Ffp53333%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544797332%3Anu0mrj

I hope this will help...

This is my thread, that I had while I was on board...

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/for...93/792948.aspx

and here is how to log on while on board... I used my laptop in the room, but the internet cafe is right next to the Lobby Bar...

Go to Connect to...

Find the Carnival connection and click on it and connect. It's unsecured and my computer reminds me of this and asks do I want to connect anyway... YES...

Then I click on my Internet... and the Carnival screen comes up...

Click on the top one in that reddish orange box: "Carnival Connection"

Anything in that reddish box is FREE!!! And you're doubly protected, cause, it will NEVER ask for your cabin number in any FREE area!!! So if it ever asks for your name or cabin number or birthday... STOP... You're paying for the next click... But this is FREE!!!!!

Then go to Community & Buzz...

Then go to Forums...

Then under User Groups, click on Currently OnBoard...

Then find your thread and continue posting...

232323232%7Ffp53333%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544797332%3Anu0mrj

So...basically just like CC? Everyone can read but it is your thread between you and your family? I mean others can post but I don't know why they would. Actually I am not sure why someone else would want to read it. :p

I created my log in and password however I don't see where you can start a thread. Any tips on this?? Also, for those who are not on the cruise with us do they just log in and use the password I have created to view the thread and post a reply? Is there a way to test it now or do I have to wait until I get on board. Thanks so much for your help.

You can always hold a sign up to the web cam at a prearranged time. :)

Ha ha ha... I kind of did this on a land vacation. In Waikiki they have a webcam on the Duke Kahanamoku statue (Olympic champion, Hollywood actor, and Hawaiian folk hero). I had given my co-workers the website before I left on vacation. I called my co-workers when we left the hotel room (before I had a cell phone) and told them I'd be there in about 10 minutes. I got there, stood next to the statue, and waved (DH thought I was a nut). When I got back to work I found out that they had seen me and they were waving back!!! :D

You can always hold a sign up to the web cam at a prearranged time. :)

I was planning to do this at Royal Palms in Grand Cayman. My family and coworkers were watching back home and I was going to have a sign that I would hold up. Coincidentally, I was able to get onto a wi-fi there with my BlackBerry Curve and established a UMA VoIP connection. Called work and home clear as a bell at no cost. I was able to wave to them and talk at the same time.

Then once on board, you log in on their computers in the Internet Cafe... OR, if you bring your own, you just connect and on the main page, there is a box with the FREE ACCESS options...

Unless you are on the Dream! I found out we could not connect to Carnival.com from my laptop either free or even signed on and paying for it!!!

We were on in December and got word of additional cancellations on the Splendor, tried to go to Carnival's site from the laptop and couldn't. Went to their "Fun Zone" and got to Carnival.com but couldn't read the cancellation instructions they had in a .PDF attachment. as they don't allow any downloads on their computers. We had to get top management involved to get my laptop connected to their system ahead of the firewall so I could download a Carnival document on my computer since I had Adobe to be able to read it. So far the Dream is the only ship that I've seen that does this, but I was told the Magic will have a similar system.

Hummmmmm....

OK: If anyone on land wants to post to your thread, yes, they need to log onto the Funville site, create a userID and password, and then post. It is like CC, but don't try to use quotes... just post -- like facebook-ish...

When you are logged in and want to start a new thread... (and I do this BEFORE I leave home...) go to the Currently On Board, and if the green "New Post" button does not appear on the right side, under the blue Forums banner, you aren't logged in under your name... click on the log in tab or the my Profile tab and re log in with your username and password.

To write in the thread: Click on that thread to bring it up and read it... to post on that, either click the green "Post Reply" button up on the right side, or click the word Reply on any post... That will add your comments to the bottom of the thread...

AGAIN... if the button is not there or it's not working, go and be sure you're relogged in!!! With name and password...

Hope that helps...

Does anyone know if you are able to use the wi-fi feature on an iPhone to use Funville on the ship?

I have NOT done this... but have been told, if you're on the Wi-Fi setting of your phone, it should be just like the laptop and would NOT charge you to get online in Carnival.com.

I don't think it should charge phone connection minutes either -- but the Internet Cafe is "manned" at certain times, and I'd go and ask... Otherwise, go to the Guest Services and ask, then do what they say, right there, and have them look to see if you were charged phone minutes...

You'll know if you're charged a connection fee, Wi-Fi minutes, because you have to register, on line, as you begin, with your room number and more... if you didn't enter it... it's FREE!!! Once they start asking for cabin number , etc... STOP!!!! unless you WANT to pay for Internet minutes....

Archived