Taking Wine Onboard

anmajojo

I am more than happy to pay corkage on wine brought onboard. Can it be checked in kerb side and then I settle the corkage amount onboard. I am looking at taking a dozen bottles aboard, and as I mentioned, expecting to pay corkage on 10 bottles. I am embarking on Emerald Princess next Monday in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you in advance.:D

Current rules say it must be in your carryon luggage. Current rules also say if it is in checked luggage (or a checked box), it will be confiscated and destroyed.

This is not true, here is the policy.

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

I just booked Coral Princess from Fort Lauderdale trip. We are flying in on the day of the departure (arranged by Princess EZAir) and have arranged Princess transfer from airport to ship. Usually we are flying only with carry on, so I have no way to bring liquor with me. Transfer probably will be without stopping, so I will have no opportunity to get my bottle of wine before arriving to terminal. Can anyone confirm that there is a place to buy wine at the terminal?

thank you!!

I just booked Coral Princess from Fort Lauderdale trip. We are flying in on the day of the departure (arranged by Princess EZAir) and have arranged Princess transfer from airport to ship. Usually we are flying only with carry on, so I have no way to bring liquor with me. Transfer probably will be without stopping, so I will have no opportunity to get my bottle of wine before arriving to terminal. Can anyone confirm that there is a place to buy wine at the terminal?

thank you!!

No stores at the terminal. There is a Walgreens that sells wine just outside of the port at the corner of Eisenhower Blvd. and SE 17th street. If you are at the North Pier, Pier 2, it is a short walk to the store. If you are at mid port you can not walk. If you have time you can walk there after boarding. Be sure to take your passports and cruise cards with you so security will allow you back into the port.

No stores at the terminal. There is a Walgreens that sells wine just outside of the port at the corner of Eisenhower Blvd. and SE 17th street. If you are at the North Pier, Pier 2, it is a short walk to the store. If you are at mid port you can not walk. If you have time you can walk there after boarding. Be sure to take your passports and cruise cards with you so security will allow you back into the port.

Thank you sknight. I doubt we will have time. We are arriving to FLL after 2 PM, so I assume we will be on board around 3 PM and sailing is 4.

I may just cancel Princess transfer, take a cab and ask to stop at Walgreens. It may be cheaper than Princess transfer anyway. Or I will just stick to ship booze.

I doubt we will have time. We are arriving to FLL after 2 PM, so I assume we will be on board around 3 PM and sailing is 4.

I'd guess that you'd be worried enough about just making it to the ship that wine will become a hunting adventure for a port day. At least you have EZair and Princess transfers. Keep in mind that while you won't be collecting bags ... if anyone else transferring you that has checked bag will be waiting ... at least you'll be able to be getting loaded on the bus...

I'd guess that you'd be worried enough about just making it to the ship that wine will become a hunting adventure for a port day. At least you have EZair and Princess transfers. Keep in mind that while you won't be collecting bags ... if anyone else transferring you that has checked bag will be waiting ... at least you'll be able to be getting loaded on the bus...

I know, we are cutting it close. That is the times of flights Princess arranged. Jet Blue is pretty reliable, but if there is snow storm in New England, we are toast! March in NE can be brutal..

I may take check in bag with wine in it, since Jet Blue lets you take one checked bag free of charge. I am sure we will be waiting for other passengers. I trust Princess will get us on board in time!

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

Both my boarding pass and my luggage tag for my 2/15/14 cruise refer to it as the "carry-on alcohol policy."

Someone help me, but there is a wine and liquor store about three blocks from Walgreens that will take orders and have your wine waiting for you. Usually takes two minutes of a taxis time to run in, pay, and run out. But I forgot the name of the store.

Burt

Google Total Wine, take the cab and you can have the cab stop there. Order ahead (they might have your order ready for you, we have found it to be hit or miss on that). Have someone stay in the cab, go in get your wine and be on your way to the port. You are cutting it close with your times though.

I trust Princess will get us on board in time!

At least if it turns out to not be on time at least they will get you onboard;)

I may take check in bag with wine in it, since Jet Blue lets you take one checked bag free of charge. I am sure we will be waiting for other passengers.

Problem solved... You can always carry in onto the ship...

Edited by MauiLvrs

Thank you sknight. I doubt we will have time. We are arriving to FLL after 2 PM, so I assume we will be on board around 3 PM and sailing is 4.

I may just cancel Princess transfer, take a cab and ask to stop at Walgreens. It may be cheaper than Princess transfer anyway. Or I will just stick to ship booze.

If you go to Total Wines & More, you can pre-order and they will have it ready when you arrive. They are on 17th street just outside the port.

That appears to be exactly what I said.

"Current rules say it must be in your carryon luggage. Current rules also say if it is in checked luggage (or a checked box), it will be confiscated and destroyed."

thank you!!

You must claim your luggage from the airline and then give it to Princess, so you can transfer the wine to a carryon before handing it over to Princess.

If you go to Total Wines & More, you can pre-order and they will have it ready when you arrive. They are on 17th street just outside the port.

I see how it goes. If we make to the ship around 3 PM I may try to grab a cab and make a quick run. Unless I'll bring some wine from home.

Another question: if I buy wine at any of POC will it be confiscated and held to the end of the cruise?

If you are flying in on a Sunday just remember Total Wines does not open until noon, whereas Crown Wine & Spirits open at 11 am. This past January our flight arrived fairly early in the morning, and we did a quick stop at Crown to pick up some wine for the ship, I don't think we spent more than 5 minutes in the store. Worked out well.

Total Wine. I've never tried it, but others have said it works great.

I see how it goes. If we make to the ship around 3 PM I may try to grab a cab and make a quick run. Unless I'll bring some wine from home.

Another question: if I buy wine at any of POC will it be confiscated and held to the end of the cruise?

Policy says held until end of cruise.

Actual practice says ????

Edited by caribill

Unless you are planning on bringing a whole lot of a specific wine not found onboard, I wouldn't risk heading to a store at 3:00. :eek: Not worth the risk of something happening and missing the ship's deadline for boarding.

That appears to be exactly what I said.

"Current rules say it must be in your carryon luggage. Current rules also say if it is in checked luggage (or a checked box), it will be confiscated and destroyed."

Bill, it seems to me that "alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded" refers to hard liquor and beer. Wine would be within the policy.

Can you refer us to where Princess states that all wine must be in your carry on and all alcohol in checked luggage it will be confiscated and destroyed?

I seem to recall more than one post saying checked wine has been allowed and either the owner picks up the wine at security where the corkage is paid or, the wine was delivered with a note asking the owner to pay the corkage. I could certainly be remembering what I want to remember ...