Canada/New England excursions advice?

Mrsfrz

My husband and I will be on the August 9 Maasdam 7 night cruise out of Montreal, ending in Boston. This will be our first cruise. I'd appreciate suggestions on which shore excursions to take and whether to use HAL or a private company. We booked through Priceline who recommended www.shoreexcursions.com. We would prefer a smaller tour rather than being herded like sheep. Any suggestions? Are there other private companies that are reputable? I'm a "researcholic" and think I've only confused myself even more! Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mrsfrz
Typo

Last year, my wife was recovering from a surgically repaired broken leg and couldn't climb up into the buses. We elected to either take tours in chauffeur driven autos driven by locals or taxis. We were on a transatlantic voyage that ended in Amsterdam. Our taxi took us on a visit to Delft as well as to the airport for our departure the next day.

You might want to consider this as an alternative to ship's tour offerings.

Glenn:cool:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I always go with the ship's tours. I know they are usually big-bus tours, but I go for the convenience factor. Unless I've been to the port before, or can find nothing I want to do offered, I go with ship's tours. And I've done some very nice ones.

Sometimes, even if you have great recommendations, you can't book them. On my last cruise, we did the ship-offered Lulu's Lobster Boat in Bar Harbor, and I read after that people could not book it on their own because it was full for the ship's tour.

The ONLY bad tour I've done through the ship was a "Nature Walk" in St. John that was described as a gentle stroll. It was led by a competitive walker and I spent the whole three hours seeing nothing by the ground under my feet to make sure I didn't trip because she was walking so darn fast. Three people dropped out of the walk and headed back to the bus and she neither noticed nor cared. She also didn't notice when two people (including my father) fell and injured themselves. We had to literally yell to her that we needed to stop and get medical attention. She was not going to stop. But that was solely down to the tour guide, and nothing to do with the tour. And I doubt she would have slowed down had it only been us in the group.

The only time I would recommend doing your own tours over the ship-offered ones is if you are planning to do a wine tasting tour. Private tours offer more, and customized, options at smaller wineries and you can avoid the crowds.

I was going to suggest you check out your roll call to see what other people were doing on your cruise, but your date doesn't seem to have a roll call!:eek:

However, you could have a look on the roll calls of other similar cruises, either Boston to Montreal, or Montreal to Boston, I think the ports are similar. The page of threads is at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=315

Good luck. And welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by Vict0riann

We have done that cruise b-to-b summer after summer and never tire of the ship or the itinerary.

We didn't often do ship's tours but fully enjoyed when we did Acadia National Park, Cadillac Mountain and lobster lunch tour in Bar Harbor. We were lucky it was a beautiful day, the view from the mountain down to the harbor was beautiful, we enjoyed the park and definitely the lobster lunch. We had a very good guide and she pointed out very interesting things we'd never heard when riding through Acadia though we lived in Boston all our lives. :)

Mrsfrz, what are some of your interests? We've done this itinerary numerous times and there are various options for history (this part of Canada has a lot of it), nature, sailing, etc. Also, is touring by foot an option?

We've done a combination of cruise line tours (and are doing two such tours this summer) and tours by foot that we have planned ourselves.

We are taking the Veendam from Quebec to Boston next month and I just finished doing EXTENSIVE research online and by reading several guidebooks. We have chosen to walk around Quebec on our own (using the Frommer self-guided walks). We are renting a car in Charlottetown to drive to Prince Edward Island NP (we aren't interested in "Anne" stuff) at a price of around $50. We are renting a car in Sydney, NS to drive to Baddeck at a price of about $70. We are doing a free walking tour (tip the guides) in Halifax. And we are taking the free buses in Bar Harbor around Acadia NP.

I think this combination will allow us to see the things we want to see at a price much lower than what the ship excursions would cost.

We are taking the Veendam from Quebec to Boston next month and I just finished doing EXTENSIVE research online and by reading several guidebooks. We have chosen to walk around Quebec on our own (using the Frommer self-guided walks). We are renting a car in Charlottetown to drive to Prince Edward Island NP (we aren't interested in "Anne" stuff) at a price of around $50. We are renting a car in Sydney, NS to drive to Baddeck at a price of about $70. We are doing a free walking tour (tip the guides) in Halifax. And we are taking the free buses in Bar Harbor around Acadia NP.

I think this combination will allow us to see the things we want to see at a price much lower than what the ship excursions would cost.

You've made a good plan.

Where the ship docks in Halifax is a great location for walking. Turn right off the gangway and through the parking lot you come to boardwalk that goes along the coast as a wonderful walk. You will pass the rear of the Maritime Museum. Worth stopping in if it appeals to you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since we don't know what your interests are -- here are a few things we have done. Others can chime in with what they have done.

Bar Harbor is a tender port. One tour we like here is Oli's Trolley -- the 2 hour one takes you to Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain.

In Halifax -- the Hop On Hop Off trolley is good deal. You can get off at various stops and spend as much time as you want and then catch the next trolley. We have also been out to Peggy's Cove.

Charlottetown -- easy walk all the way around the town.

Sydney not much in this port. Tours we have taken and enjoyed: Fortress of Louisbourg, Sailing on the Bras d'Or Lakes, Alexander Graham Bell Museum.

My husband and I will be on the August 9 Maasdam 7 night cruise out of Montreal, ending in Boston. This will be our first cruise. I'd appreciate suggestions on which shore excursions to take and whether to use HAL or a private company. We booked through Priceline who recommended www.shoreexcursions.com. We would prefer a smaller tour rather than being herded like sheep. Any suggestions? Are there other private companies that are reputable? I'm a "researcholic" and think I've only confused myself even more! Thanks in advance.

Just did this tour May 24 - 31, Boston to Montreal. We didn't do a Bar Harbor excursion because we know the area very well. It was a short, tender port stop anyway, so we just strolled the town. Took HAL's 3 hour "Heart of Halifax" tour - very well organized but a big bus type tour. Still, plenty of stops & very informative guide. Timing was perfect so we could enjoy changing of the guards at The Citadel. No tour in Sydney, but in hindsight, we wish we had rented a car. Duncan's Island Tours in Charlottetown was a favorite! Private van for up to 6 (we joined a couple from our Roll Call to bring down the cost). It was an outstanding tour, complete with homemade muffins from his wife!:) In Quebec we opted for the 2 hour HAL UNESCO Historic Sites tour. Loved it! Gave us a perspective of the city and still left plenty of time for us to explore on our own. Montreal's Hop On/Hop Off trolley sponsored by Grayline was absolutely the way to go! A 2-Day pass for less than $50 per person.

I live in the Boston area and have done a number of New England/Canada cruises. One of our favorite ports is Bar Harbor, and recently I booked an Arcadia Park tour with a local company named Acadia National Park Tours. I reserved with them ahead, and paid the day we took the tour. Their phone number is: 207 288-0300. From the company web site: " My grandfather Sonny Cough, and his brother, Jimmy, started this Acadia National Park Tours in 1955 setting the standard for land tours in the Bar Harbor area. The company has remained family owned and operated ever since." Our guide/bus driver was a local fellow, who is a history teacher, and he was simply a grand guide. Our ride was a new, school bus style bus, not the usual high rise tour bus. If you want local color and a local guide with personality, this is the tour for you. The charge was $30 per adult. I highly recommend this tour. ( I hope giving the specifics of the tour does not violate the rules of Cruise Critic. It it does, please remove this post.)

Edited by Route6A

You've made a good plan.

Where the ship docks in Halifax is a great location for walking. Turn right off the gangway and through the parking lot you come to boardwalk that goes along the coast as a wonderful walk. You will pass the rear of the Maritime Museum. Worth stopping in if it appeals to you.

Thanks and yes, the Maritime Museum is definitely on our list to visit.

Mrsfrz, we're on the same cruise and are working through our daily activities/excursions. We've been to Halifax and Bar Harbor a couple of times. Never got to see anything but the hand in front of our face at Peggy's Cove and Cadillac Mt -- bummer. For certain we'll go the Arcadia in that I volunteer for the NPS and have an access pass. We also have a 7:30 PM flight home from Boston. Planning to rent a car and go out to Lexington & Concord for the day. Still working through the other stops which are all new to us. We like to walk a lot and will probably do a lot of that.

We used Blue Diamond tours in Halifax and it was the best tour we have ever been on. Completely custom, even got to take a boat ride out of Peggy's cove and the owner let my hubby and I drive the boat... With the assistance of a giant mastiff pup laying at our feet! Felt like family in Halifax.

We're doing almost the exact same thing. Renting car in PEI and Sydney. Exploring Quebec City and Halifax on foot. Free bus to Acadia. Where did you find the walking tour of Halifax?

We're doing almost the exact same thing. Renting car in PEI and Sydney. Exploring Quebec City and Halifax on foot. Free bus to Acadia. Where did you find the walking tour of Halifax?

Halifax walking tour

http://www.halifax.ca/rec/documents/HfxWaterfront.pdf

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Halifax-06-15-2011.pdf

Bar harbor map which includes a walking tour of the shore path which is supposed to be lovely.

http://www.barharborinfo.com/BarHarborChamber/media/Bar-Harbor-Media-Library/PDFs/Getting%20Here/Maps/BHbyFOOT_09_web.pdf

We usually do a mixture of ship/private excursions. But wanted to chime in that we really enjoyed the Fortress of Louisbourg.

With extensive research we found that it would only be open for ship tours our port day so we elected to take the ship's tour.

What fun! Big bus for only a handful of people! It would have been cancelled for lack of interest BUT none of the people at the the Excursion Desk had been there before and felt that they needed to go to "experience" it to be able to talk about it (this was the first Canadian cruise of the season 2 years ago)

In a nutshell, we basically had a private tour of the fortress that day complete with costumes, food, etc! Great day! NO ONE was there but our "bus"!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I always go with the ship's tours. I know they are usually big-bus tours, but I go for the convenience factor. Unless I've been to the port before, or can find nothing I want to do offered, I go with ship's tours. And I've done some very nice ones.

We agree totally. We have never had a bad ship's tour with HAL. We have had 1 bad and 1 not very good private tour in Canada. We highly recomment The Best of Halifax (best fish chowder ever for lunch) includes all the sites we wanted to see, and on Prince Edward Island The Islands Finest, Anne, Lobster and Scenic Drive. big bus yes, but very helpful, very considerate drivers and tour guides.:)