Where to eat - CCers recommendations

slidergirl

I thought it would be a nice idea for all of us here on CC to share our recommendations on places to eat when in Italy, specifically in those towns where CCers would be going. It would serve two purposes - give people ideas for their first foray into a new place and give people ideas for new places to eat in places they are re-visiting.

What about it???

I'll give a few now:

Vernazza - Il Pirata and Vulnetia. With all the ships now porting in La Spezia, more and more people will be visiting Cinque Terre. Besides hitting the little bakery for some focaccia and the little deli for some meat and cheese to make my own lunch, I'd hit up these two places.

Rome - Pizzarium. If you're doing the Vatican thing, head down the hill by the Cipro Metro stop and try out some amazing pizza by Rome's best, Gabriele Bonci (temporarily closed for expansion, but has a shuttle to his other place)

Florence - Hit up the Mercato Centrale, right by the San Lorenzo leather/tourist market. Lots to choose from - panini, soup, salads. For a gelato dessert, I like Gelateria Carraia - across the Arno and on the corner 1 bridge up from the Ponte Vecchio. Tasty gelato at non-tourist prices. I'd say Trattoria Mario, but you would be wasting precious time standing in line (up to an hour) for some traditional Florentine/Tuscan fare.

Venice - Just wander the back streets, looking at the panini in the windows. When you see one that "calls" to you, go in, order it, and stand with the locals and eat it!

Driving on the Autostrada: stop at any Autogrill!!! Actually good panini. And lots of "snacky" things to munch on when in the car.

Edited by slidergirl

I recently posted this on another thread about Venice restaurants...

When we were in Venice, our wonderful hosts at Locanda Orseolo gave us a list of restaurants that they recommend.

You won't find a better hotel than Locanda Orseolo. Best customer service ever! Link to their website: http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

The name of the restaurant is first, followed by how many minutes it would take to get there from Locanda Orseolo (near St. Mark's) The day of the week at the end of each description is the day of the week that the restaurant is closed.

I did not personally visit these establishments, but I do trust the folks at Locanda Orseolo, to provide good recommendations.

Da Alberto - 15 min - The classic venetian osteria with wooden tables, house

wine and a full desk of delicious Cicheti ( local tapas). To eat, a small

menu for those who don't have high expectations. Sun.

Ca D'oro Alla vedova - 20 min - One of the oldest osteria in town, run for

many generations by the same family. Great desk of cicheti ( best meat balls

! ) to enjoy during the aperitif and, for something more, few traditional

dishes and the famous venetian liver. Thur.

Barababao - 10 min - Or in other words "the Boogey Man". A friendly place

nearby Rialto managed by young and smart guys that, with the chef Milo,

really care of both quality and preparation of the food. Classic venetian

dishes, meat, menu' for vegetarians, and even a little touch of creativity.

Always open.

Antico Dolo - 10 min - few steps from Rialto, a lovely osteria that is

nothing but a small saloon of dozen tables. The secret of this authentic

place is the affability of the couple of owners and the quality of the

seasonal products that every day come from the next door fish and vegetables

market. Fresh pasta! Always open.

Al Fontego - 20 min - A simple restaurant with a genuine and traditional

cuisine. Just to give you an idea about the freshness of the food. Lollo,

the owner, is first of all a fisherman who owns two fishing boats and a

desk at Rialto market. Stop. There's even an outdoor internal courtyard

open during the nice season. Mon.

Vini da Gigio - 20 min - A big name in Venice! Very famous for the quality

of the seasonal specialties, for the wide choice they offer, for the

authentic atmosphere and one of the largest wine list of the island. The

only problem is to find a table available! Reservation absolutely necessary.

Mon/Tue.

Vecio bragosso - 15 min - located in one of the largest and busy street of

Venice, this nice restaurant, with a kind of Retro' atmosphere, offers a

friendly service and a big choice of classic venetian dishes ( even meat in

the menu! ) still for good value prices. Some tables outside during the warm

season. Mon.

Antiche Carampane - 20 min - It's the real venetian osteria! Friendly

service, traditional dishes, great fresh fish and, above all .very

hidden!!! A place to try. if you are able to find it! Reservation advisable.

Sun/Mon.

La Bitta - 25 min - The only place in Venice where they serve only meat! A

small and cute restaurant where you can experience the specialties of the

mainland ( soups, tortellini, mushrooms, meat sauces and various kind of

white and red meat ) if you got enough of the lagoon shell sea food and

fish. Sun.

Corte Sconta - 20 min - A hidden trattoria located in the oldest part of

Venice, and so famous among the natives. They do what the venetians do at

their best, and that means fish, fish and fish again. From the appetizers to

the second courses, a great freshness and quality. Homemade pasta! Not the

best service. Reservation advisable. Sun/Mon.

Linea D'ombra - 25 min - A sort of two sides restaurant : inside rather

strange and modern, outside, a lovely wooden terrace on the water offer you

one of the best venetian view on San Marco basin and San Giorgio island.

The innovative cuisine is delicious. The view is absolutely priceless but

here it's something you will pay!... ; ) Reservation absolutely necessary.

Wed.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice,

due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size that

makes all very private and exclusive. Sea food and fish at their best! Nice

and refined even the selection of wines and cheeses. Reservation absolutely

necessary. Sun/Mon.

Acqua Pazza - 10 min - they serve specialties from Naples and the reason is.

the whole team come from Naples! Is like having a small part of the lively

south inside Venice. The homemade pasta is the best in town, but whatever

they propose, risotto, shell sea food, sea bus, sauté, pizza, is great and

is cooked in the southern style. . Portions are really generous! Mon.

Beccafico - 15 min - Sicilian specialties and wines in an exclusive

restaurant that keep an high quality throughout the year. In the cold season

just few tables in a small and elegant room, while during summertime it's

possible to enjoy a meal on the lovely outdoor in the airy and bright Santo

Stefano square. few steps before Academia bridge. Always open.

Osteria Santa Marina - 15 min - It's becoming a famous name in Venice,

especially if the occasion is special, and you are looking for an elegant

and refined restaurant. Here the kind staff propose a menu of local

specialties with a touch of creativity and innovation. During the warm

season, the peacefulness of the little square makes the small outdoor

lovely. Sun/Mon.

Osteria San marco - 5 min - A modern restaurant & wine bar in a central

location, really few steps behind San Marco square. The cuisine is always

open! No stop between 12.30 and 23.00 !!! creative dishes with local

products at most, and even a good selection of salami and cheeses. Quality

and location make the price. Sun.

- last but not least, two names for lunch or an easy dinner: "A La Campana"

and "Anima Bella", both located very close to our Locanda (three minutes

walk). The "A La Campana" owners tend not to accept reservations made in

advance, but they run a friendly, good place where you can stop to enjoy

some Venetian specialties; the "Anima Bella" provides authentic home

cooking, with only a selection of first courses (pasta and soups) and salads

in the menu.

----

These are the places we did try:

We ate at Anima Bella one evening. The food was delicious, but it is a "homey" atmosphere, very small. Not a place for a romantic date.

We also ate at Barababao. Again, the food was very good, but there isn't a view. We were a group of 8, and we all enjoyed our meal. Waiters were great, and helped us with our choices. Of course, with that size of group, we all get to have a taste of each other's selection.

Another great place we went, that I don't see on the list, was Al Remer. At one time, it was an oar factory. It isn't easy to find, it is tucked away, close to Rialto and has a great view of the canal from the "courtyard". They have a wide selection of cicheti, that is complimentary when you order drinks. Very casual, fun, atmosphere. Easily accommodated our group of 8.

I hope your experience in Venice is as magical as ours was!

Rome: Panzirone. It is located on Piazza Navonna. The pumpkin soup is worthy of licking the bowl. Also the Roman specialty - Beef medallions with carrots celery onions and tomatoes. YUM Here is the menu in English.

http://www.panzirone.it/en/menu.php

Many will tell you to stay away from the restaurants near the major sites but we have had great luck eating in those locations. Besides the great people watching ……. Best advice - ask the owner/server what is the house specialty.

Have eaten in many other locations but we did the "wander around and pick one" method. We usually find this works for us best instead of trying to find a specific place.

Florence--Trattoria Parione. Nice atmosphere, great services, reasonable prices. Been there three times and enjoyed each meal there. If we ever go back, we will definitely go for their steak plate for 2. Seemed like most locals ordered this. This restaurant was first recommended by the hotel concierge and we have gone back twice.

LIVORNO

Take a taxi and go for lunch

http://www.cantinaditoia.eu/it/home

Alow 80 minutes each way

The history of the place will intrigue you, the food is wonderful, and wine is very reasonable. Run by the Son and Daughter of a well known Florence Restauranteur.

Leonardo who? Not Vinci! Will it change history?

I am very interested in this thread as I am going to Venice in Sept.. I think it's a good idea to limit recommendations to restaurants visited in the last 6 months or so. In the restaurant business things can go downhill quickly. I could recommend places all over Tuscany and Rome but it's been sveral years.

Can we also mention the neighborhoods where the recommended restaurants are located?

Thanks!

Thanks for the Venice recommendations, I'm a little bit anxious about our trip there as I keep reading about rude, surly waiters and bad food!

I can recommend the following:

Florence: Trattatoria Anita, Via Parlaggio: Nothing fancy, but really nice food, the way I hoped Italy would be, with great service and not expensive.

Perche No? for the gelato.

Rome: Gelato at Teatro

Nr Pantheon: Vecchia Locanda, Viccolo Sinibaldi - down a little side street, it's so cute with great food.

Vicini Bistrot - we had no idea it had good TA reviews, and found it on our first day - great place for a light lunch with a glass of wine.

I am very interested in this thread as I am going to Venice in Sept.. I think it's a good idea to limit recommendations to restaurants visited in the last 6 months or so. In the restaurant business things can go downhill quickly. I could recommend places all over Tuscany and Rome but it's been sveral years.

Can we also mention the neighborhoods where the recommended restaurants are located?

Thanks!

Well said

I (we) dine here 3/4 times a year, but our friends go 2/3 times per month.

A singer having a residence nearby is often seen.

LIVORNO

Well said

I (we) dine here 3/4 times a year, but our friends go 2/3 times per month.

A singer having a residence nearby is often seen.

LIVORNO

Not sure I would agree! According to their own web site they are closed and they have taken down their Facebook site too.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not sure I would agree! According to their own web site they are closed and they have taken down their Facebook site too.

Hank

OMG!

Help anyone! Do you know of an excellent restaurant in the wilds of the countryside?

Based on my personal experience, many restaurants close for prolonged winter breaks. While it doesn't say that on the website, it may be worth checking back to see if they've magically reopened once the tourist season begins.

Not just restaurants close for winter either. We usually like to travel "off season" and have done a few trips (cruises) late November.

More than once we have been shopping/eating and a comment was made that they will be shutting down right after our ship leaves :eek:

We look at it as a positive thing - they always want to make one last good sale before closing. We have gotten quite a few "great" deals due to this.

ON the other hand. On our early spring visits everything is just opening and also eager to 'bargain' and make a good sale but not as eager. (I am a shopper !)

I thought it would be a nice idea for all of us here on CC to share our recommendations on places to eat when in Italy, specifically in those towns where CCers would be going. It would serve two purposes - give people ideas for their first foray into a new place and give people ideas for new places to eat in places they are re-visiting.

What about it???

I'll give a few now:

Vernazza - Il Pirata and Vulnetia. With all the ships now porting in La Spezia, more and more people will be visiting Cinque Terre. Besides hitting the little bakery for some focaccia and the little deli for some meat and cheese to make my own lunch, I'd hit up these two places.

Rome - Pizzarium. If you're doing the Vatican thing, head down the hill by the Cipro Metro stop and try out some amazing pizza by Rome's best, Gabriele Bonci (temporarily closed for expansion, but has a shuttle to his other place)

Florence - Hit up the Mercato Centrale, right by the San Lorenzo leather/tourist market. Lots to choose from - panini, soup, salads. For a gelato dessert, I like Gelateria Carraia - across the Arno and on the corner 1 bridge up from the Ponte Vecchio. Tasty gelato at non-tourist prices. I'd say Trattoria Mario, but you would be wasting precious time standing in line (up to an hour) for some traditional Florentine/Tuscan fare.

Venice - Just wander the back streets, looking at the panini in the windows. When you see one that "calls" to you, go in, order it, and stand with the locals and eat it!

Driving on the Autostrada: stop at any Autogrill!!! Actually good panini. And lots of "snacky" things to munch on when in the car.

No doubt, a Bourdain fan (anyone hungry for Cacio e Pepe)?

Don't think I'd give much weight to a food recommendation from a site (CC) with no expert food credentials. However, if folks do their due diligence, cross referencing sources like Zagat, Conde Nast Traveler, Food/Travel sections of NYT or SF Chron (even Rick Steves guidebooks) and come up with a "short list," then looking at sites like Trip Advisor (taken with many grains of salt) will elicit comments from actual diners. One value of Trip Advisor over CC, is that the listings have menu, map, times and sometimes reservation links. The plan above will certainly paint a bigger picture for each contender for your money.

If the particular port location you are researching is start or finish of your cruise, pass your short list by your hotel's concierge well ahead of your visit and ask him/her to make reservation(s) for your final choice(s).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer