St. Catherine Beach

Nana57

But there are no rentals there any longer, correct? We need chairs and umbrella

Unfortunately, there are no longer any facilities at St. Catherine's.

This used to be my wife's favorite beach in the good old days when ships regularly docked in St. George's. The last time she went there she left quickly because she felt uncomfortable because of the lack of both facilities and people.

Tobacco Bay will have everything you need...chair and umbrella rentals, food and drink, restrooms.

Edited by njhorseman

Unfortunately, there are no longer any facilities at St. Catherine's.

This used to be my wife's favorite beach in the good old days when ships regularly docked in St. George's. The last time she went there she left quickly because she felt uncomfortable because of the lack of both facilities and people.

Tobacco Bay will have everything you need...chair and umbrella rentals, food and drink, restrooms.

Thanks.

But there are no rentals there any longer, correct? We need chairs and umbrella

We were just there in June and they were building something there (looked like some type of stand...maybe food or rental??). Anyhow, they DO HAVE CHAIRS...and they are free. We were told by the workers to just grab a chair and pull it where we wanted (they were stacked and plenty of them).

HERE'S a link to my pictures there that day. It's a beautiful beach.

We purchased the $6 hand stamp to ride the HOHO bus (hop on hop off) that picks you up at the visitors center and stops at various places along the way. We had taken it to Tobacco Bay and then walked to St Catherine. But, if you stay on the bus at Tobacco, the very next stop is right at St Catherine beach. Super easy.

Others have walked there from the visitors center depending on how well you ambulate, how big a group, kids and ages involved and your time limit if you would want to do that or not. :)

We were just there in June and they were building something there (looked like some type of stand...maybe food or rental??). Anyhow, they DO HAVE CHAIRS...and they are free. We were told by the workers to just grab a chair and pull it where we wanted (they were stacked and plenty of them).

HERE'S a link to my pictures there that day. It's a beautiful beach.

We loved that beach always went there when the ships docked at ST Georges but we have not been back in years since all the ships now dock at the Dockyard and the beach was closed up really missed that they closed up the snack bar and did away with the chair rentals. We are going back to Bermuda at the end of August and would love to return to this beach so can we rent beach chairs? Is there a snack bar not a big deal but just wondering.

We loved that beach always went there when the ships docked at ST Georges but we have not been back in years since all the ships now dock at the Dockyard and the beach was closed up really missed that they closed up the snack bar and did away with the chair rentals. We are going back to Bermuda at the end of August and would love to return to this beach so can we rent beach chairs? Is there a snack bar not a big deal but just wondering.

I am super confused since you took the time to actually quote my message which answered both of those questions??? :confused: :D

I asked earlier on this thread, if there was a port-a-potty at St. Catherine's. There was one five years ago. Do you think they are building a bathroom there?

When we were there in June I did not see a port-a-potty there unless it was way down at the opposite end of the beach from the fort.

From the looks of what I seen that they were building when we were there, it looked like a concession stand. I would think it would be too small for a bathroom and it was all wood with, what looked like to me, an opening in the front to take orders. :confused:

Thanks for the info Mitsugirly. I think I'm going to take a chance and head to this beach in September. I'll report an update on the facilities when I return.

Here is what it looked like five years ago. No stand, no chairs, a couple of people. If you look on the left of my photo at about two thirds from the top are the porta potties. It sounds like something is happening there so looking forward to your update.

951c7ab6c932d56e2243104a3f5cec45.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Here is what it looked like five years ago. No stand, no chairs, a couple of people. If you look on the left of my photo at about two thirds from the top are the porta potties. It sounds like something is happening there so looking forward to your update.

951c7ab6c932d56e2243104a3f5cec45.jpg

We are going on the Summit cruise on Aug. 30th and plan on giving it a shot hopefully they have chairs there we loved this beach in the past will let you know how it was when we get back.

We purchased the $6 hand stamp to ride the HOHO bus (hop on hop off) that picks you up at the visitors center and stops at various places along the way. We had taken it to Tobacco Bay and then walked to St Catherine. But, if you stay on the bus at Tobacco, the very next stop is right at St Catherine beach. Super easy.

Others have walked there from the visitors center depending on how well you ambulate, how big a group, kids and ages involved and your time limit if you would want to do that or not. :)

We just returned from Bermuda (8/2-8/9). Some time before we arrived, the main bus used by the HOHO group was involved in an accident and could no longer be used for the program. That left them with a taxi (5 people) and a large van (14). Because of the crowds, the HOHO vehicles were only going to one beach at a time, with no other stops or pick-ups. Needless to say, there were long lines and chaos as groups decided whether to walk or split up into smaller groups to fit into the small taxi. After a long wait, we asked for (and received) a refund of our money. Plan on walking.

Those porta potties were definitely not there when we were there in June. That was the area they had the chairs and the building they were working on so I definitely would have noticed them I would think. I thought maybe they were located toward the opposite direction and maybe that's why I didn't notice them.

I looked at one of my pictures I was taking as I was walking down the hill toward the beach and then cropped it to a close up picture to be able to see it a little better. You can see the building they were working on, some other building that was there (I assumed that it was maybe where they were keeping their supplies at) and you can see the lounge chairs they had there.

close%20up-XL.jpg

Another pictures showing the chairs staked up there:

P6080115%20copy-L.jpg

P6080108%20copy-L.jpg

I just managed to find another picture that I didn't realize I have of looking back at the other end of the beach (standing down by the fort area) that shows there's no porta potty all the way to the bridge/pier area:

other%20side%20of%20beach-XL.jpg

I zoomed in for a picture to try to figure out what this gray building was...anyone? Maybe an older concession stand they use to run?

close%20up%20other%20side-XL.jpg

I just managed to find another picture that I didn't realize I have of looking back at the other end of the beach (standing down by the fort area) that shows there's no porta potty all the way to the bridge/pier area:

other%20side%20of%20beach-XL.jpg

I zoomed in for a picture to try to figure out what this gray building was...anyone? Maybe an older concession stand they use to run?

close%20up%20other%20side-XL.jpg

It definitely looks like someone is building a concession stand. First I was thinking maybe the grey building was toilets. Maybe chemical toilets, since the porta pottys are gone but possibly it is a storage shed for the chairs. Notice the chairs are stacked in front of it.

Edited by Charles4515

It was definitely some type of concession stand by the way it looked when we were there and the openings (windows) in it.

I didn't think the gray building looked like a restroom, but then again didn't pay too much attention to it since we used the restroom back at Tobacco before leaving and after this place we were at Achilles.

I just wonder if there's no one here at St Catherine and there's no "rentals" at the moment, who exactly is taking the time to pull these chairs out for everyone to use? Why are they free? It's just weird to me. Someone has to be doing the work but yet there wasn't anyone there. :confused:

It was definitely some type of concession stand by the way it looked when we were there and the openings (windows) in it.

I didn't think the gray building looked like a restroom, but then again didn't pay too much attention to it since we used the restroom back at Tobacco before leaving and after this place we were at Achilles.

I just wonder if there's no one here at St Catherine and there's no "rentals" at the moment, who exactly is taking the time to pull these chairs out for everyone to use? Why are they free? It's just weird to me. Someone has to be doing the work but yet there wasn't anyone there. :confused:

Could be that the town government or Bermuda government figured out it was a waste to have that very nice large beach abandoned and decided to do something about it. If the beach has some facilities and chair rentals it should draw more visitors to St. George.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515