Be Aware HAL is Now Offering Non Refundable Deposits on Some Pricing

LAFFNVEGAS

HAL has now followed the Lead of Carnival and Princess with a new offer with Non-Refundable Deposits. This is something NEW and one must be aware that you may see pricing that is in some cases only about $30.00 per person lower yet in other cases with a travel agency having any special pricing the difference can be $300.00+ less per person. Also it is Non Transferable and No Name Changes. So you cannot just move the deposit to another sailing date.

My understanding this could be the waive of the future where once you book that deposit will be non refundable. It already happens with many River Cruises and other types of travel. As well of those in other countries.

My speculation is that by 2018 or maybe earlier all will require a non-refundable deposit.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

HAL has now followed the Lead of Carnival and Princess with a new offer with Non-Refundable Deposits. This is something NEW and one must be aware that you may see pricing that is in some cases only about $30.00 per person lower yet in other cases with a travel agency having any special pricing the difference can be $300.00+ less per person. Also it is Non Transferable and No Name Changes. So you cannot just move the deposit to another sailing date.

My understanding this could be the waive of the future where once you book that deposit will be non refundable. It already happens with many River Cruises and other types of travel. As well of those in other countries.

My speculation is that by 2018 or maybe earlier all will require a non-refundable deposit.

Hadn't heard this yet Lisa, thank you! I know your agency has a much better relationship with your sales rep than ours does here.

Is there a name for the program (example only-how they call some rates "Signature Fares" - I know that wouldn't be it), specific promo codes, etc to be on the watch for?

Appreciate you sharing that info this morning!

If cruise lines aren't nickel and diming you, then they are doing stuff like this. Shaking my head.

Hotels have been doing this same thing for AGES though.

You might see a rate of $100/night but non-refundable or $120/night but you can cancel until a couple days prior. Pros and cons to both. It depends on how set are your travel plans and would it take nothing short of catastrophic loss to make you change those plans.

I would also be curious how the CPP or CPPP plans come into play on these. Is the non-ref deposit refundable if you get the insurance? Or is there something about these new deposits that would "override" the coverage you are purchasing with regard to the deposit amount.

How can I recognize a cruise that requires a non-refundable deposit? Will they be advertised as such? I would certainly not want to book one by accident.

Booking a non-refundable deposit might be OK if it is a real bargain. But, regardless of the pricing, I would not want to book one too far in advance.

Thanks for the heads up.

It will put a stop to people holding two and three cabins for same dates knowing they will never use them all. I've been trying to book a cruise since it was about 11 months out and the category cabin I want is sold out. I know for sure not everyone who has a deposit down will make final payment but I cannot get a reservation.

I got an email the other day. I think it was for a private sale. Right in the email it said deposits were non refundable. I thought to myself, that's new. Thx for

pointing it out. I think many people miss this. I remember you pointing this out on princess cruises a few years back so I always look now.

Hadn't heard this yet Lisa, thank you! I know your agency has a much better relationship with your sales rep than ours does here.

Is there a name for the program (example only-how they call some rates "Signature Fares" - I know that wouldn't be it), specific promo codes, etc to be on the watch for?

Appreciate you sharing that info this morning!

They Call it the LTD Non Refundable Deposit Fare. Rate Code is RA1, but there is also View and Verandah which is KD2 and Advantage Fares which is RH5 and Signature Fares which is FIT.

So far in my searching I have found a few on line agencies offering the lower pricing but it is NOT stating that the deposit is non refundable but then my understanding is this JUST started so they may not even be aware that the web site is picking up the lowest price but it is also non refundable.

Hotels have been doing this same thing for AGES though.

I would also be curious how the CPP or CPPP plans come into play on these. Is the non-ref deposit refundable if you get the insurance? Or is there something about these new deposits that would "override" the coverage you are purchasing with regard to the deposit amount.

Good Question, that I would like the answer on myself.

Thanks for the heads up.

It will put a stop to people holding two and three cabins for same dates knowing they will never use them all. I've been trying to book a cruise since it was about 11 months out and the category cabin I want is sold out. I know for sure not everyone who has a deposit down will make final payment but I cannot get a reservation.

I'm perplexed. How can a person book more than one cabin. I didn't think that was permitted? I thought HAL only permitted one cabin per person.

Thanks Lisa for the info. It's very important and good info for us all to be aware of.

If one books direct with HAL, I hope their agents are telling people or do we have to ask? Also, if one books online, will the screen indicate a non-refundable deposit? Hotel sites do. But I don't recall that Princess site does, as I did lose a deposit on a Princess cruise and there was nothing on the site that indicated it was non-refundable.

I'm perplexed. How can a person book more than one cabin. I didn't think that was permitted? I thought HAL only permitted one cabin per person.

Thanks Lisa for the info. It's very important and good info for us all to be aware of.

They book a cabin on NCL, a cabin on Princess, a cabin on HAL....... they hold them for months and decide at final payment time whether they want to cruise or not.

Or they book several different cruises on HAL and may or may not sail any of them.

Edited by sail7seas

They book a cabin on NCL, a cabin on Princess, a cabin on HAL....... they hold them for months and decide at final payment time whether they want to cruise or not.

Or they book several different cruises on HAL and may or may not sail any of them.

Ahhh - got it - different cruises - I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying :)

how does this affect bookings where you want to use your FCD

You will lose your FCC if you cancel. I have seen this occur several times with Princess.

Like I mentioned I truly predict this to be the future of booking cruises. Through the years we have seen deposits with the mass market cruise lines DECREASE. For many years HAL had the largest deposit requirement. But what has happened is that people on the Mass market lines did not want or have the money to put down with the larger deposit. So while in some cases on a 7 day cruise HAL's deposit is still $350 per person but we have seen in the past two years that most of the time the deposit is reduced. Other lines such as NCL and RCI run $100 pp specials frequently. This has actually increased bookings but as mentioned many just cancel prior to final.

In recent trends cruise lines such as NCL are I changing their final due date to 90 days prior as opposed to the 75 days that was the norm for years. While luxury lines are also making the final due at 90 or some even 120 days prior they are also increasing the deposit required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! We have a $200 total nonrefundable deposit (got $100 OBC in addition to existing perks) for our March 5 cruise on the Crown Princess. Same concept as purchasing nonrefundable airfare and what you take into consideration when you make that decision.

Edited by qsuzi

If one books direct with HAL, I hope their agents are telling people or do we have to ask? Also, if one books online, will the screen indicate a non-refundable deposit? Hotel sites do. But I don't recall that Princess site does, as I did lose a deposit on a Princess cruise and there was nothing on the site that indicated it was non-refundable.

I've found many times when princess has their so called sales their deposit is non refundable. It generally states this if you read the fine print of the sale. It's not super obvious. I would not count on Hal agents telling you something is non refundable. If in doubt I would ask.

You will lose your FCC if you cancel. I have seen this occur several times with Princess.

Like I mentioned I truly predict this to be the future of booking cruises. Through the years we have seen deposits with the mass market cruise lines DECREASE. For many years HAL had the largest deposit requirement. But what has happened is that people on the Mass market lines did not want or have the money to put down with the larger deposit. So while in some cases on a 7 day cruise HAL's deposit is still $350 per person but we have seen in the past two years that most of the time the deposit is reduced. Other lines such as NCL and RCI run $100 pp specials frequently. This has actually increased bookings but as mentioned many just cancel prior to final.

In recent trends cruise lines such as NCL are I changing their final due date to 90 days prior as opposed to the 75 days that was the norm for years. While luxury lines are also making the final due at 90 or some even 120 days prior they are also increasing the deposit required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Lisa for the explanation and heads up...My TA just reconfirmed with me that my recent cruise booking is fully cancellable and refundable deposit, and he even got me the ZPM put on immediately the day I returned home from the Rotterdam, even though I have not yet gotten the "thank you for sailing with us, bonus OBC" letter.

I have an extra set of FCD on hand, and will be very careful to ask the right questions when booking in the future.

Thank you for this information.

Well we have only 1 cruise left.

For the last couple of years we have been putting down the full deposit -- no specials or anything. That is because of health issues and not knowing if we will have to cancel a cruise or not.

Now we will have to consider whether we will even cruise anymore -- don't want to lose the big deposits that we put down.

Thanks for the heads up! We have a $200 total nonrefundable deposit (got $100 OBC in addition to existing perks) for our March 5 cruise on the Crown Princess. Same concept as purchasing nonrefundable airfare and what you take into consideration when you make that decision.

Precisely.

Personally, I think of it more like a hotel that is non-refundable as the price savings may be just a little but non-ref from the start.

Airfare that is non-ref refers to almost all of it. Refundable airfare is usually A LOT higher price and there isn't an exponential increase or savings from the cruise line.

Either way, definitely lots to consider. It'll be great for some but a bad choice for others.

Thank you for this information.

Well we have only 1 cruise left.

For the last couple of years we have been putting down the full deposit -- no specials or anything. That is because of health issues and not knowing if we will have to cancel a cruise or not.

Now we will have to consider whether we will even cruise anymore -- don't want to lose the big deposits that we put down.

I sure hope that you can find a future cruise that has a fully refundable deposit. Only one of three of our future Princess cruises is a nonrefundable deposits. I think the cruise lines would lose too much business by requiring nonrefundable deposits for most/all of their cruises. JMHO.

Edited by qsuzi

Thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean. I have been looking at a couple of itineraries and the 2 cabin choices we would consider are all sold out.

IF -- and I say -- If I find something we would like to do -- now I have to really think hard about booking.

I read all those "FIT's", etc. that Lisa mentioned and have no idea if they would apply to the ship or category (categories) we have in mind.

I hate it when people book a couple of categories hoping that one of them will get them a better deal.