Which beach?

KKB

We like a quieter beach but with regular bathrooms & drink service (and possibly food) as well as chairs & umbrellas.

I would rather have a busier beach with full facilities than a quiet beach with no chairs, restrooms or drink service.

Willing to go aways from the port to get a quiet full service beach, but if that isn't available, would rather be close to the port.

Any recommendations? Please suggest beach & how we would get there.

THANKS!

Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

In general, along Seven Mile Beach, there's three types of beach access spots.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

Beach Clubs (for lack of a better term):

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

- popular spots include Royal Palms, Calico Jacks and Tiki Beach

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Public Beach/Calico Jacks/SeaGrape - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

This is my first trip to Grand Cayman, and I'm hoping to find the same. I want a nice clean quiet beach with shaded lounge chairs with umbrellas. Do you have any information on the Westin Grand Cayman? This website says it's just 15 minutes from the pier.

http://www.resortforaday.com/Westin-Grand-Cayman-Day-Pass-p/gtgcwe-h.htm

The Westin is nice, but it's really not that much different than going to one of the beach clubs and paying for lounges, etc individually. And pay-as-you-go is cheaper than the Westin, almost guaranteed.

It's the same beach either way.

Edited by bookbabe

• 4 months later...

Seagrape Beach (part of 7 Mile Beach) has all that you want...food/drink, restrooms, rentals, both chair/umbrella and watersport...easy bus ride from port. Figure on about $30-40 for 2 chairs and 1 umbrella......GC is pricey!!!!

Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

Public Beach/Calico Jacks/SeaGrape - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

This is fantastic information and just what I am looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge. :)

We found Tiki Beach to be much more laid back than Calico Jack's.

Their beach bar is in deep shade and enjoyable.

As mentioned, everything on Grand Cayman is expensive. :rolleyes:

Is Tiki a lot farther from pier than Royal Palms?

Yes. Royal Palms is the first beach club you come to, Tiki Beach is the last.

Thanks! We've been to Gr. Cayman a few times but always went to Royal Palms. Looking to try something new, maybe.

To add a twist to our trip. I injured my foot (possibly a stress fracture) and it seems possible that I will be traveling in a boot since it currently hurts to even put weight on my foot. If nothing else I will be trying to walk less than I would typically on vacation, and be on stable ground as much as possible. Which beach club would you chose for someone with some walking issues?

To add a twist to our trip. I injured my foot (possibly a stress fracture) and it seems possible that I will be traveling in a boot since it currently hurts to even put weight on my foot. If nothing else I will be trying to walk less than I would typically on vacation, and be on stable ground as much as possible. Which beach club would you chose for someone with some walking issues?

Royal Palms has a paved parking lot and most of the premises is a firm concrete surface. Should be relatively stable for persons in a walking cast or boot.

Royal Palms has a pool for use by adults only. There is a proper pool deck so you could easily get poolside before removing a boot and sliding into the water to cool off.

• 1 month later...
Great info. Just wondering what do you think will be more enjoyable for a 7 and 9 yr old kid?

Royal Palms does not permit children of this age to use the pool. The beach and sea are right there but some kids might be upset at not being able to use the pool as well.

If you kids are like that then Seven Mile Beach Public Beach would be a better stop. There is some playground equipment there that they might enjoy. Taxis could drop you off steps away from the beach, though firm footing might not be easy to find.

Does 7 Mile Beach have kayak rentals? I'm looking for a beach somewhere in the Western Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas) that I can rental a kayak for the first time on calm waters. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does 7 Mile Beach have kayak rentals? I'm looking for a beach somewhere in the Western Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas) that I can rental a kayak for the first time on calm waters. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yup...this is the sign at Royal Palms, and it's pretty typical of the vendors along Seven Mile Beach.

3ad9365b206ea6473f9bde8623d0f74b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hotels:

Public Beaches:

thanks for the info. we will be visiting for the first time and this helps a lot.

royal palms sounds good. one question. are taxi's readily available at he port and at royal palms to get back when done. and if so roughly what will the taxi cost each way.

-actually found out information after i originally posted. taxi's around $4 per person each way and are readily available.

Edited by splintz
found out info about quiestion i asked

I read a lot about the beach being rocky. That's not gonna go well with my newly walking child lol. Is there a certain part that is sandy with no rocks but still has amenties- bathrooms, food, chairs?

Thanks

We just ordered aqua shoes/water shoes from Amazon. Work great in rocky waters. Wear sandals or flip flops & bring aqua shoes in a zip lock bag so you have a place for your wet sandy shoes & you won't track the sand on to the ship and into the cabin.

I read a lot about the beach being rocky. That's not gonna go well with my newly walking child lol. Is there a certain part that is sandy with no rocks but still has amenties- bathrooms, food, chairs?

Thanks

Seven Mile Beach is not generally rocky. It's a beautiful sandy beach considered one of the best in the Caribbean. Where did you read that it was rocky?

I think perhaps it depends on your definition of rocky. We've swum many times at Royal Palms and at least once at each of the other common spots. None are what I'd call rocky. Was the water entirely free of rocks? No, there was the odd rock here or there, especially at the far end of Seven Mile Beach. But it wasn't what I'd call rocky by any stretch of the imagination. There are spots near Rum Point where you are almost constantly walking along rocks for the first few feet into the water and thus water shoes would be needed, but I've never felt the need for water shoes anywhere along Seven Mile Beach.