On Royal P, where to sit and read outside in the shade?

vmom

One of my favorite things to do on a cruise in to sit on the Promenade deck, and find a shady area to sit and read. I've never had difficulty finding a great spot to relax in the shade. I prefer the Promenade deck because of the great views of the water as we sail.

This will be my first time on the Royal and I know there is not a regular traditional Promenade deck. Where is a good alternative for a shady spot outside for fresh air? I don't do sun and I prefer to look out onto the water when possible.

Are there many seats on the limited Promenade that is left? If so, is it difficult to get a spot? Other spots?

I usually have preferred not to sit on the Lido because its so much louder and sometimes its difficult to find a spot. I also prefer not to look through the glass to see the water.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I found the Promenade deck to be in the sun all the time unless it is blocked by the ship. It was not used much on the cruise I did back in Nov. The Horizon Terrace on deck 16 at the rear of the ship is a nice area to relax and read. It has shade and you can get a table next to the rail to look out from. I found that is was not that busy. GMO

Happy Trails

:whiskey-glass:

There is a small outside deck area on deck 7 on both sides of the ship with access near Crooners and The Princess Shops. I usually get a balcony above these areas and it was never crowded or rarely accessed on either of my 2 cruises on the Royal. It's a pretty area. Pick the side of the ship that is shady.

Another deck 7 area is both sides of the Vista Lounge. There are 2 rows of 6 or 8 padded loungers plus 2 loungers that face aft. That was our go-to area for reading during the 7 consecutive sea days during our TA last fall. We usually went in the mornings and were always able to find two loungers together - and were even lucky enough to get the aft facing ones a couple of time. Of course shade will depend on the direction of the ship in addition to the time of day. On a westbound TA the starboard side was in the shade in the morning.

As another poster has noted, the Outriggers Bar (area outside the Horizon Court) has comfortable couches, chairs and tables facing aft which may or may not be shady plus dining tables for 2 and 4 that are covered.

I found the Promenade deck to be in the sun all the time unless it is blocked by the ship. It was not used much on the cruise I did back in Nov. The Horizon Terrace on deck 16 at the rear of the ship is a nice area to relax and read. It has shade and you can get a table next to the rail to look out from. I found that is was not that busy.

Shhhhh. Don't tell everyone. :evilsmile: