Pool questions on Konigsdam

ottahand7

Last time on Koningsdam, the pools were not very warm, but the weather was cool, so perhaps that influenced the temp. I don't know where you would find room to do laps, as the pools are not that long and depending on the day, the pools are filled with people.

Water temperature is pretty subjective, but I've found the water to be warm enough for my liking. You might be able to get in some laps if you get up early and head to the pool while others are sleeping or eating breakfast.

1) pool temp was all over the place. Last November the first half of my 21 day carribean it was way too warm. The 2nd half it was freezing. People were not staying in for that long.

In March, it was way too warm again.

2) the pools are not built for lane swimming. They are pretty small and usually filled with peiple.

3) no water aerbics

They did water volleyball once the first year I was on the koningsdam but nothing in the water on the last 3 cruises

We are doing the Konigsdam on September 16th and I wonder if the pools are warm, if there is space for lane swimming and are there water aerobic classes. Many thanks!

No lane swimming, no aerobics, pool full with kids...

On our Alaska cruise the pool was not heavily used, even though the roof was closed and the water was fairly warm. But it was September and kids were back in school.

If you're a serious lap swimmer, you probably swim well enough to swim the length of the pool in a few strokes. You'd spend all your time turning.

Our 21 days in December on the K we found the aft pool "cool" and refreshing. It's small though. Others found it way too cold. (Caribbean cruise)

The mid ship pool, like another poster said, if you get there early you may be able to do a few laps. They are not built for laps though.

On the Amsterdam the Hotel Director Henk has a harness he puts on with the end tied to a ladder. It allows him to simulate laps but he is swimming in one place. It has about a 15 foot rubber hose between the harness and the ladder. He wears a mask and snorkel and swims like crazy without moving. He only does it in off hours in the aft pool.

On the Amsterdam the Hotel Director Henk has a harness he puts on with the end tied to a ladder. It allows him to simulate laps but he is swimming in one place. It has about a 15 foot rubber hose between the harness and the ladder. He wears a mask and snorkel and swims like crazy without moving. He only does it in off hours in the aft pool.

I've seen someone in a harness like that once. Maybe HAL should get a bunch of those and have a "lap swim" hour.

Many thanks, my friend will have to find some other way to get her exercise. Or just be a total slouch like I usually end up being. ;p

There's a nice walking/jogging track up on the top deck. Lots of fresh air. She can walk on the "promenade" deck, too, but it's narrower than other HAL promenades and has lots of turns. And the gym is pretty good.

• 4 months later...
I've seen someone in a harness like that once. Maybe HAL should get a bunch of those and have a "lap swim" hour.

Not a bad idea actually, or equip pools in the future with lap-swimming current features. As time goes by, more people are interested in keeping up with their fitness while on vacation. The larger gyms and truly dedicated (no lounge chairs crossing into them) jogging paths are evidence of this, so I can see why swimmers and people who enjoy water aerobics would appreciate consideration.

Many of my friends are avid swimmers who have mentioned that they would appreciate the opportunity to do some lap swimming. I would think that at the very least the ship could set aside some lap time.

I am one who looks at gyms and the ability to run while onboard. Swimmers should unite and post!