Carnival vs Royal Caribbean, which would you choose?

Fishingshoes

Hi, I'm researching two cruiselines/ships for the same itinerary and was hoping I could get some help in making my final decision. I am going to do the Vancouver to Honolulu 12 day cruise and Carnival Spirit and Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas both offer the same itinerary. Which would you choose? We are married, no children, ages 34 & 37...very easy going, casual couple. Appreciate your suggestions!

I have sailed both Voyager and various carnival ships. I would pick the best value for my money.

I liked my cruises on both lines. But feel that Carnival had a better night life for me. I dont dance or go into the music places- so the VOyager offerend me nothing more to do except the ice show one night and quest on antoher.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

i personally like royal caribbean because it gives you the best value and such.

although, carnival is cheaper if you are short on money or want to save.

i have been on carnival more then royal caribbean. i have only been on like 4 royal caribbeans cruises and like 10 carnival.

it really depends.... if you have kids you should go for carnival because it is more based on kids. i use to be a kid a couple years ago but now i am 15 and i can go on royal caribbean. although, i went on royal caribbean once when i was 3 years old.

Krystle

<table border=0 cellpadding=4 bgcolor=yellow><tr><td>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=221100&cdt=2004;7;11;00;00;00&timezone=GMT+0700

</td></tr></table>

</center> til i board mariner of the seas on royal caribbean on july 11, 2004.

i have been on a cruise every year since i have been 6 months old. i was born on january 1, 1989.

I prefer Carnival, but have enjoyed all my cruises on both lines. Carnival isn't always cheaper than Royal Caribbean -- both times we cruised with RCI it was BECAUSE the price was better than any we could find on Carnival. Service is sometimes slightly better on RCI, but I've had some excellent cabin stewards and waiters on Carnival as well. Years ago RCI had better food, but IMO Carnival has surpassed RCI in the food department. Entertainment and kids' programs are similar, but there has been a bit more variety as far as nightlife goes on our Carnival cruises.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean are actually more similar than they are different, despite what some people will tell you. I actually think you will find more differences from ship to ship within the same line - either line - than you will in comparing the two cruiselines. Definitely don't pay any attention to comparisons to an older ship on either line to a newer ship on the other. You will often hear from people who cruised one line or the other ten years ago and base all their comparisons on that one experience.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Been on both; definitely RCI.

icon_cool.gif

Happy Cruising!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;19;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

HAL Zaandam - June 2004

HAL Rotterdam - Jan 2004

RCI Enchantment - Mar 2003

Sun Princess - Sep 2002

Celebrity Millennium - Feb 2002

RCI Radiance - Apr 2001

Sea Princess - Jan 2001

HAL Veendam - Jun 2000

HAL Veendam - Feb 1999

Carnival Inspiration - Apr 1997

icon_cool.gif

I'm a big fan of RCCL. Everytime we cruise we seem to dock next to Carnival and the passengers on Carnival seem to be amazed with our ship. Last time we docked 3 Carnival ships were in port and we were asked so many questions by the travelers on CarnivalI felt like a RCCL rep.

I believe in going for the best and my vote is for RCCL. The service is wonderful. And I love to party the nightlife is great. I feel like a queen on every trip.

But the choice is yours. There is good and bad with everything but your will be amazed if you choose RCCL.

Above all bet out there and have fun icon_wink.gif

Nordic Empress 2times

aka The Empress Of The Seas

Monarch Of The Seas

Majesty Of The Seas

Explorer Of The Seas

Navigator Of The Seas Aug 2004

I've been on both, RC and Carnival and I wouldn't hesitate to go on either as long as they were fairly newer ships. Read the ship reviews on CC and you can get an idea of what appeals to you. I don't think you can go wrong either way, so I would start factoring in price, what cabins are available, dates and size & age of the ships. I did get a better upgrade with Carnival when I booked a GTY but I would say that RC ships seem to be a little more polished or classy. Embarkation/disembarkation seemed MUCH smoother with RC, but I listened to the people on this board and arrived very early on my last cruise and that may have been the difference. I also like the way RC does the formal nights, it seems they try to arrange them for your at sea days where Carnival does it on the same 2 nights regardless if you are in a port or at sea (ex Tue & Thurs).

Time til we sail on Miracle!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;1;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

"Upgrade your ship, not your room"

I will try to compare apples and apples..the Carnival Legend (May 2003)and RCCL's Serenade of the Sea (Aug. 2003). Both new ships, of approx. size. The Legend is very glitzy (some like it, some don't) and upbeat...but the food was fantastic!! The Serenade was a beautiful ship, classy!...food was excellent. It becomes a personal choice. We have never had a bad cruise (approx. 20), it's all what you make of it. In my opinion Carnival attracts a more casual, younger crowd, but we have found all ages, on all cruises, and something for everyone. Go...enjoy...it's vacation, how can you go wrong! icon_smile.gif

I have also been on both, and my husband and I both agree that we will probably not sail with Carnival again. Our last cruise was fun, but disembarking was chaotic, we had to be up at 5am and found out that was completely unneccessary. Just not the royal treatment we are used to with RCCL.

Carnival Fantasy (??) 12/90

RCCL 9/92

Carival Ecstasy 9/2002

NCL Spirit 6/2004

This is my thing. I look at itinerary and price and it just depends. Carnival IS CHEAPER if you go with an older ship but pretty much the same price with the newer ships.

I have not cuised a voyager class ship but I want to so I am willing to spend a litte more to try one of this ships. When we were on Inspiration in DEC. we were docked next to Voyager that was 5 decks higher and about 40 feet or so longer then Inspiration. Grander was docked there also and it looked like it could be Voyager's baby it was much smaller then even Inspiration.

Anyway I found food to be similiar. The shows on Sovereign were not as good but then that is a cheap cruise too. You have a nicer cabin and bathroom on Carnival even the older ships then you do on RCCL Sovereign.

I love the bands and paino bars in lounges and found this was enjoyable on both lines.

One thing too we just got off Miracle last week and that ship was great-the food, entertainment, shows was all tops and the best of any cruise I have been on it rivaled even my one cruise on Princess on the old "Love Boat". Even though that ship was old and not very attractive I did not think any ship could top their food and entertainment. Well Miracle was every bit as good besides the staterooms etc. being so much nicer it being a new ship.

We had hoped to book Miracle this fall but have found the prices have gone up considerably since FEB. so we may end up on Splender instead. I won't be doing it for the ship as I already know it is similiar to Grander but the itineary-we have friends that want to scuba in Cozumel and Grand Cayman so unless I can talk them into Mariner or Glory (conquest class ship much nicer then Splender) there is a good chance we will be on Splendor.

So if you get my driff-I want to go either on Mariner a voyager class or Glory a Carnival conquest class ship.

I would also go on an older Carnival ship too as they have them at ports closer so the drive would be 2 to 4 hours shorter if that was what my friends would agree to but ofcourse I am willing to drive farther for Mariner or Glory . I also thought of trying Norweigan Majesty but people who have been on Sovereign and older Carnival ships both said those ships much nicer the Norweigan Majesty.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98

Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00

HAL Statendam 05/20/01

Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01

Pacific Princess 09/29/02

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04

One thing I noticed here that every one who votes for RCCL does not explain why. I would like to know what ships they are comnparing. You can't compare an older ship to a newer ship on a different line and then say the line that has the newer ship is better.

It really dependson the ship and not the line. Maybe you could tell us what ships is it that you are comparing. That is what will make the difference.

HAL Statendam 05/20/01

Sorry You DID SAY. Well I have no knowlege about EITHER except I know Spirit came out in 2001. We wanted to cruise her because she was a new ship when we did Alaska but the cruises were really expensive on her. We did Statendam for like $500 a person cheaper.

HAL Statendam 05/20/01

Put it all together. Look at the itinery, add/subtact excursions. Look at what you are expecting and would like, throw in a straw and remember - Any day on a Cruise, is better than the best day at work...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;01;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MORE than ready...

I haven't sailed on Carnival so I can't speak from experience but I suggest you compare the following:

1. price including price for the cabin / location you want

2. ports & costs of excursions

3. ships -- size, age etc.; size of cabins

4. available activities obviously if rock climbing & ice skating are important to you, there's only 1 choice.

5. departure dates -- does 1 leave Sat & the other Sun?

6. I'd read every review I could get my hands on for both ships / trips. Remember it doesn't mean as much to read about your trip if the review was on a different itinary.

7. what your traveling companions want / like

Good luck.

Trish

It just seems to me that comparing RCCL to Carnival is like comparing Coke to Pepsi. There is a taste difference between Coke and Pepsi, some swear by Coke, some swear by Pepsi, some prefer other drinks. I buy whatever is on sale.

I made the same choice. RCCL from Baltimore or Carnival from Baltimore ... Carnival won. Better price, better itinerary.

I've never had a bad cruise. My least favorite was on RCCL, but I think that was more because it was a 4 day cruise. I'll never bother with a 4 day cruise again.

Whichever one you pick, plan on having a wonderful time.

Celebration: 1988

Empress of the Seas: 1997

Inspiration: November, 2000

Miracle: May, 2004

Glory: November, 2004

• 10 years later...
Hi, I'm researching two cruiselines/ships for the same itinerary and was hoping I could get some help in making my final decision. I am going to do the Vancouver to Honolulu 12 day cruise and Carnival Spirit and Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas both offer the same itinerary. Which would you choose? We are married, no children, ages 34 & 37...very easy going, casual couple. Appreciate your suggestions!

Royal:eek:

Go to the reviews section for each ship and read the reviews. Your question would bring out the cheerleaders, so you would want to know WHY people like either line- you want details, not general opinions. Like another poster mentioned, their negative opinion was based on a short 3-4 day cruise. I wasn't impressed with RCL after a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas but then I got into longer cruises, usually no shorter than 14 nights and found that RCL is now my favorite after a 16 night TA.

We took a cruise on Carnival that was 8 nights and found it to be our least favorite, although I would still hesitantly book a minor cruise on that line. The food was good on Carnival but the ship atmosphere and entertainment was the least exciting of any cruise I have ever been on.

Very definitely compare apples to apples. For example, I prefer RC larger ships - many people have mentioned ice shows, which I love, but the Serenade does not have an ice rink. So, try to compare the reviews for each ship. Keep in mind reviews are so subjective! Did sail from LA to Honolulu on RC Radiance several years ago and it was a great cruise in every way.

Carnival vote here if the price is cheaper. If the price is the same go Royal.

Husband and I are 27 and 28 and we love Carnival but would happily book RCI too. To us they both offer what we want.

Carnival almost always seem to have the best prices so they have always swayed us and you get a lot for your money but I would say Carnival's night time offering isn't great with the exception of the Comedy shows. Never sailed RCI but they seem to offer more evening entertainment and day activities and thats a good reason why the price is more I think.

Spirit class ships are such a wonderful size and layout and if you can, book a 4K cabin between lifeboats which are the best cabin bargain ever! Carnival decor is garish but you get used to it after a few hours.

Archived