Sitting w/ new people at dinner

trish1c

How do you really feel about sitting w/ new people at dinner on your cruise? I read so many threads about people who insist on a table for 2.

We enjoyed meeting new people & although we've had dining companions who made me want to rush through dinner, for the most part it's been a great deal of fun.

What about you?

Trish

On all my cruises I had the biggest tables on the ship. It was nice since I knew all the people. Last cruise we set up with people from Cruise Critic and dinner was lovely. Always one of the last people to leave the dining room also. First seating and didnt feel the need to be rushed either.

THis next cruise we requested a large table but its only the two of us going on this one. I hope its just as nice.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I always enjoy it and even look forward to lunch and breaskfast in the dinningroom and sitting and meeting different people. Usually this is fun because everyone is in a good mood.

Only once did I have a bad experience and this was at tea where I sat next to an older lady who butted into a conversation with my husband because she did not agree with me that scones were similiar to biscuits with jam and cream. I resented it as I was not talking to her and I felt I was entitled to my own opinion-she seemed to feel as she had stayed in alot of 5 star hotels that she knew better then me.

I have never like pushy braggy people. Anyway I refused to argue with her so I did not stay for that tea very long needless to say.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

I've never had a table smaller than a 6-top. On the Triumph in January we had a table for six and it was THE BEST!

You will come across some of the most interesting people at the open seating lunches in the dining room too.

I can understand honeymooners and their desire for some intimate alone time, but heck, you have the rest of the cruise for that. icon_razz.gif

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

detroit100.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else in the works as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

We have met some of the most outstanding people at mealtimes. I personally like a table for six because no one can really dominate the conversation and you get to know everyone well.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

We've done 1 Celebrity cruise and 3 Princess cruises. The Princess ones were Personal Choice, and we sat with different people every meal -- over 21 dinners so far we've never had a dull meal.

With our one Celebrity cruise, we were at a table for 8:

1 couple never showed up (may have missed the boat?)

1 couple, he got sick on Day 2, they flew home on Day 3

1 couple was on their honeymoon. From Italy and spoke no English.

Luckily we met some nice people at the Art Auction and they had room at their table, so we joined them for the last 3 nights.

Almost always a great time. As the cruise goes by everyone feels more at ease, and begins to loosen up, to share stories, experiences, etc.

That's one of the main reasons I do not like Freestyle or Personal Choice dining. Just cannot develop the same camaraderie. Plus, I only have so many what's your name, where you from, what do you do, etc. in me!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;1;22;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Serenade of the Seas

I'm one who does not like to sit with new people. On my last cruise last month, my 73 yr old Mom and I did sit at a table for 8. They were all very nice people, but I would have been more at ease if we had been by ourselves. I think my mom agrees with me. She didn't have much to offer to the conversations, especially since she was sitting at the end of a rectangular table. You don't hear the conversation down at the other end. (Round would be better.) Also, there were only 2 nights out of 7 that all 8 of us were in attendance, between the specialty restaurant and BBQ's up on deck on port days. Actually, one night we were all by ourselves in the diningroom. We enjoyed that. To each their own I guess.

I love to sit with others at a big table. You can meet and chat with all kinds of people. Since we had our daughter they seem to give us a table by ourselves and this disappoints me. The one time they gave us tablemates it was a very young newly married couple and we had to make the best of it.

I like NCL's freestyle dining as you can join your new friends for dinner but when you go into the dining room alone (a couple or family) they tend to seat you alone.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

At the table for 6 what are the chances of one couple being put at a table with a FAMILY of 4. (thats my big fear...we will be the odd man out)

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

RichardK.... That is exactly what we were thinking while we were on the Golden in Dec 03. Our end of the conversation was so, so similar with each meal....and it got a bit boring toward the end of the week. (Personal Choice Dining)

I personally like a very large table...with traditional seating. Large, because then if someone doesn't show up for dinner....there is always folks there to visit with.

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

You just never know, do you? We have done Freestyle cruising and sat alone most meals, that was fine with us. We have sat with wonderful tablemates and had a fun week. We once sat with a family all week that bored us to tears, we could not engage them in conversation.

I also think the "barracks" style seating (long rectangular table) is the worst for conversation. If you get stuck with these tables, sit across from one another, not in a row on one side. That way, the person on the end of the table has more than just the person next to them to talk to.

Kathy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trish1c:

How do you really feel about sitting w/ new people at dinner on your cruise? I read so many threads about people who insist on a table for 2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meeting new people is the only reason we chose to eat in the dining room. We signed up for PC dining and really enjoyed meeting new people at each meal. We usually were seated at a table for 8.

We also prefer a big table, and to prevent anyone feeling left out of the conversations, if we think the rest of the table would be amenable, suggest that we don't always sit in the same seats, but swop around so that everybody gets the chance to talk to everybody else.

This can also help if you have a 'difficult' person on your table - the hard work gets shared out!

Sekhmet

We always request a large table, and like Sekhmet, we never sit in the same seats. But we don't ask. If we arrive before everyone else, we always pick out a different seats at the table. Gives you a chance to talk to everyone plus the added benefit of the waiter, assistant waiter, and somelier having to know you by sight rather than seat.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

We definitely prefer a large table. We learned after our first cruise to put in a request for a large, round table when we book our cruise. The round table allows for better conversation.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

Hi:

Of all my 30+ cruises, it's worked out pretty well (being at at table for 6, 8 or 10); but one time, there was just my DH and myself and two other couples who traveled together, and they excluded us from 90% of all conversations.

Only once did we have some real obnoxious people at our table; and one time a family from Brazil met everyone at our table and decided they didn't like the way any of us looked and changed tables (very unfriendly).March of last year, was the very best time we've ever had with anyone at our dinner table. There were five couples and we got along great. We had so much fun that everyone would look at our table and someone asked me later if we all knew each other beforehand, and I said no, we had just met. I can eat with just my DH and myself at home; that's why I enjoy the adventure of meeting new people.

Happy Crusing...Anita

BUDDY

we chose PC on the Golden for our April 17th crusie and would never go back to traditional!!

We always requested a large table, ( except for one evening when I was sea sick and we took a table for 2) and enjoyed meeting people from all over. We would request no table for four.That way you're not just stuck with one couple,( and if you don't "click" there's no one else to talk to)We always got tables for six, eight or ten that were oval.

On one night we were taken to a table with 4 other couples who were all in there 80's at least!! We are early forties. My hubby gave me that look , like oh no, here we go, BUT as it turned out we had a pleasant evening talking to the others who had a wealth of travel( land and cruise) experiences to share.Being the only Canadains at the table was fun also, we had to educate them about our hometown as they assumed that all of Canada is cold and snowy in the winter so we explained that where we live the flowers bloom in Feb!!It was lots of fun , and we decided that attitude makes or breaks most experiences while travelling.

We love meeting others, and quite frankly even the " mis matches" can be funny in hindsight!!

That's one reason we liked PC, it's only one meal at a time, so you are not stuck with "duds" for the whole week, and if you really hit it off you can arrange to dine with the same peolpe again!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> At the table for 6 what are the chances of one couple being put at a table with a FAMILY of 4. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sailed w/my sister and a cousin. We were at a table for 12. Aside from the 3 of us, the rest were from one family. But it was okay. Everyone was very nice and we had a good time.

I told my FH that I asked for a large table for our honeymoon cruise on Princess. He wasn't thrilled. He's kind of a keep to yourself person, but I think it will be fun.

We will be on our honeymoon when we cruise in July on the Zuiderdam. In all of my crusies we have always had a table for 6-8 people. You will meet some of the most interesting people and make friends that will last a lifetime! As a matter of fact, one of the couples we met our one of our cruises, is coming to our wedding and traveling from Boston to Seattle to do it!

Enjoy meeting people and if you want to be alone one night have dinner in your cabin or in the private restaurant.

Somehow the cruise line always knows who to sit you with so that you have lots in common, you may be seated with others on their honeymoon as well.

You'll have a good time no matter what you choose icon_smile.gif

Gee, you guys have a much easier time than I do.

I get new people at dinner every night. I really do like to keep in touch and always take my cell phone with me to dinner. Shortly after the apetizer arrives, I dial my home phone number. When I connect with my voice mail, I say, "Hi, how are you? Wait a second." Then I go "Husssh" to everyone at the table. I them tell them I am on a $0.50 per minute call and would appreciate their courtesy in 'SHUTTIN UP!' After my call, it is pretty quiet at the table. I guess everyone has been talked out.

Guess what, there is a whole new group of people to pull this trick on the next evening. You do get to meet a lot of people doing this but they don't seem to recognize you the next day at the pool.

This fun stops after three or four nights into the cruise when dear wife (DW) goes to the maitre 'd and asks for a table reassignment. Since she once paid the maitre d' $100 to get assigned to another table, I always promise her to discontinue my phone calls at dinner time. To make up for this, I always use my phone calls to get better chairs at the pool. A lot of people will leave the pool area when you start yelling into the cell phone. You do have to watch out for those who try to intice you into a "dodge the wet pool towel" battle. If you avoid their first shot, they normally just leave the pool area.

Email me if you need more cruise tips!

Les

Archived