Paris without speaking French

We are docking in Le Havre and would like to take the train to Paris and then tour for the day. We have done this in many cities using English or Spanish as our only languages. Is it feasible to do this in France? Any comments, advice or reassuring words would be greatly appreciated! Sandie

The younger generation is speaking English. The older generation dislike to speak English as they are very proud of their language.

So just say:

BONJOUR - PARDON, EST-CE QUE VOUS PARLEZ ANGLAIS PAR HASARD???

Be sure when you address so nicely to them in French they will change to speak English with you.

Most tourist places do have English signs as well.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We have been to France several times and we do not speak French. The first time we went, my wife spent hours learning to ask where a bathroom is in French. The frist time she tried out her skills, she did so well, they told her. Unfortunately, they told her. She had not learned any of the possible answers.

Other than that, we have gotten by in France.

Paul

The only place we had trouble with non-english speakers was in Dijon at a chocolate shop. So I just pointed and got what I got.

We were in France in 2004 and had a wonderful time in Paris and on our Burgundy barge cruise. Have a great time.

Of course they speaK English.

Of course it is true that some Parisians speak English but they can be reluctant to because of the French attitude to their own language. They see it as being under threat. So they can react very badly if you make no effort at all. If you want a good experience on your visit then you have to work at it. Learn some French. Asking for a beer or some wine or coffee. If you can start with French and then say you have very little you will find that they will then try to help with a little English and you are communicating.

If you do not do this then do not be surprised if someone ignores you or is downright rude. This of course will spoil your day and leave you with a bad impression of Paris.

We have very little French, my wife more than me, but we have had 5 wonderful short holidays in Paris.

An example, last time we were there we found a small bar near our hotel. we went in 4 times and stayed an hour or so soaking in the atmosphere, and beer. On the last night I managed to communicate that this we were going home in the morning, the young lady who had served us came round the bar and gave me a big kiss.:o Then she gave me a beer on the house. Two very small jestures but it made my holiday special.

Have a wonderful Paris visit.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

It's hard to read "tone" on a message board, but if you're serious, you won't have a very good time abroad. Not everyone speaks English. Even in Paris. And why should they?

If you try to use at least a few basic phrases, you will generate loads more good will than you will by sticking only to English.

If you do not do this then do not be surprised if someone ignores you or is downright rude. This of course will spoil your day and leave you with a bad impression of Paris.
Yes, and I hate to hear Americans complain about how rude the French can be. I speak some French so step in to help with translations, but Americans needs to understand that we don't have the right to define the norms as to what is and is not rude in another country. And if you don't try to speak a few words of French, and I agree with HeinBloed that it doesn't have to be much, you are being rude by their definition. I recommend the Pimsleur series. See http://www.amazon.com/Conversational-French-Understand-Pimsleur-Conversation/dp/0743550420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4837220-4509640?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175525025&sr=8-2.

And yes, of course they speak English :), but the question is will they? They will not be helpful to you at all if you are perceived as being disrespectful to their culture. I promise that a few words of broken French will be richly rewarded with warm interactions and assistance with directions by the French citizens.

Donna

Can't resist telling a Paris tale (its true). My wife and I really love traveling in France (we have driven all over the country) and generally find the French to be helpful and friendly. The exception is our beloved Paris, where the Parisians can be ....ahhh....so darn Parisian. DW and I have 6 years of high school and college French, which means that we can read French but really cannot speak the language. However, we have learned the value of a Bon Jour (with a smile), Merci, etc. One day while in Paris, my wife ordered her entire lunch in French...or at least what she thought was French. The waiter gave her one of those arrogant looks that only the French can do and said, "Madame, do you speak English." My wife of course said Yes. And the waiter quickly responded in English, "I am very happy because you speak very bad French!" Thus we learned the secret of Paris. Never ask a Parisian if they speak English,,, because they will often say "No" even if they speak perfect English. But speak very bad French and they will soon beg you (in English) not to butcher their beautiful language.

Hank

Great story, Hank.

I also agree it is best to smile and greet in French and speak in a lower volume as well. It is more a matter of Parisians wanting to speak english back to you as opposed to can they speak English.

I find taking the time to be polite in New York often has the same effect. More times than not I get a polite response back.

And yes, of course they speak English , but the question is will they?

Scene from one of my favourite movies - French Postcards......

Miles Chapin's character is making small talk to a French girl he fancies in very poor French. Eventually she says in English "I don't undersand a word you're saying". He says "Why, don't you speak French?". She replies "Not YOUR French".

In Paris you probably won't need it, but you'll find, as Hank & others have suggested, that your day will go better if you have a little.

Actually, the most likely place that you'll really need it is the station at Le Havre (or even Paris, come to that) - buying tickets, etc.

If the French can speak English - many of them refuse to do so...they are very proud of their country and their heritage, and if you are in their country you are expected to speak their language.

I would not dream of going to a country and not being able to say the basics like 'please', 'thank you', 'good morning/afternoon', 'where are the toilets' and 'two beers please'.....and I am pleased to say I can manage this in Greek, Turkish, Thai, Malay as well as all the main European languages.

So I suggest you get yourself a Learn French DVD and get started......

I really don't think this is necessary for one day.
We are docking in Le Havre and would like to take the train to Paris and then tour for the day. We have done this in many cities using English or Spanish as our only languages. Is it feasible to do this in France? Any comments, advice or reassuring words would be greatly appreciated! Sandie
You'll be fine. We spent a week in Paris in late 2004. We got along with no French at all. We didn't expect anyone to speak English and most of the time they either didn't know English or they didn't want to speak it to us. And it was still OK. All the big tourist attractions will have English signage and English information. The very popular hop on hop off buses have commentary in English by way of a headset system. Learn please and thank you and you'll get along great. :)

I would not dream of going to a country and not being able to say the basics like 'please', 'thank you', 'good morning/afternoon', 'where are the toilets' and 'two beers please'.....and I am pleased to say I can manage this in Greek, Turkish, Thai, Malay as well as all the main European languages.

I see you have your priorities right!:D :D

Excellent advice.

Lisa

If the French can speak English - many of them refuse to do so...they are very proud of their country and their heritage, and if you are in their country you are expected to speak their language.

Bien entendu, je parle francais un peu......un petit peu. Mais,

it is generally known that european school children are almost always taught

some English. US seldom requires French or German of its public school children.

I do not think an American will have difficulty without French in Paris.

However, thanks for the DVD idea.........it has been 40+ years that I had my 10 yrs of French in school( girl's school 3rd-12th Form in 50's-60's)........might be fun.

Slightly OT , but as having been a "host father" for a couple of AFS exchange students, I have one additional insight as to how europeans, at least younger ones, came to be proficient in understanding english... They learned english in school, but the american cartoons were more fun to watch than anything on Norwegian tv. My student, born in the mid 70's knew a bunch of cartoon characters that I remembered as a kid growing up...ones my kids never knew.

PS she spoke english better than most of the kids hanging out in the mall! We went back for her wedding 2 years ago, and sang the "Spongebob Squarepants" theme song for her while driving through Oslo...very surreal memory.

Archived