I wonder if these people removed the autotips?

S.S.Oceanlover

I have been on ALOT of cruises and I can't remember the last one where the steward I had the prior week was the one who cleaned my room the last day. I never even saw my steward in my hall the last day. They must assign them from embarkation day to the night before disembarkation. I always figured they moved the stewards around pretty regularly. If that's the case, how would the new steward know the marks were not there previously?

However, if what he said is true, he could have just waited them out. Immigration won't clear the ship for the new passengers until it is cleared of the old passengers. CCL would be under more of a time constraint than he is. They would have to kick him off without any signature if he just waited.

HA!!

Sure' date=' Carnival just goes around banning people for life just because.........

I'm not buying this guys tale at all......

67 cruises on Carnival and nobody has ever questioned me about the condition of my cabin......nor anyone I know that has ever cruised....nor any of the large groups I used to host on their ships....

Like most stories, this is one side......and probably not the entire story. We'll never know the full story but, guaranteed, we'll discuss it 'til it's death....:D[/quote']

Same here...it just doesn't add up.

Know I will be flamed for this comment, but why is it Carnival can do no wrong? Just curious. We have not found a cruise line or resort that is perfect yet. I think we all have been on a Carnival cruise where a Carnival employee has provided less than adequate customer service.

Well said! No flaming here.

Know I will be flamed for this comment, but why is it Carnival can do no wrong? Just curious. We have not found a cruise line or resort that is perfect yet. I think we all have been on a Carnival cruise where a Carnival employee has provided less than adequate customer service.

A valid point, but there's a lot of things in this story that just don't add up. Sounds like a situation that got heated fast and stay heated fast. Probably a lot of wrong-headed decisions on both sides.

Unless Johnny Squaremouth lost his head completely and assaulted a Carnival employee. (You never know, I've seen guys fight for stupider reasons than scratches on a counter.)

There is a link to the document, but it looks like they did NOT sign it but the ships captain and others did!

I'm guessing that Carnival has the copy that the guest signed. Carnival likely prepared two originals - one for them to keep, one for the guest to take with him. The guest simply didn't sign his own copy.

As to whether this is bogus or not, I'm guessing there's more to the story. I very much doubt that Carnival would have strong-armed this family over a few scratches on a vanity.

I'm guessing that Carnival has the copy that the guest signed.

One thing I did notice about the document... The Hotel Director signed TWICE, once as the "HD" and once as a "witness" ... for the record you generally cannot be the witness to a document you signed which would make the entire document invalid... HMMMM.

Since this story posting is tied with with autotips, I have to write about something funny..

We had a problem with our S&S cards last week, I couldn't charge and then found out that my daughter's profile was on my account and I was on hers even though the names were correct on the card. Also they entered my son's birthday as the same date as my husband's so he didn't get on the camp carnival roster even though I had pre-registered (no biggie, just couldn't figure out why until we discovered this). It took several trips to get it all straightened out and get new cards printed and then we had additional problems re-boarding from the first port as my daughter's pic came up for me, anyway....

Everytime I was at the desk, people were removing auto tips but one man stood out - he kept listing off excuses as to why he was doing it, he went on and on and on - I almost interupted and said I'd pay them for him, it was that irritating to listen to. The guest relations crew member (eastern European woman) looks him square in the face and says with mucho attitude, "sir, we don't care to know why you are removing gratuities." I just about fell over laughing. The man stomped off and his face was deep purple. I'm sure at that point he felt he had a real excuse for removing them - big jerk.

I find that just plain disgusting...:(

When we boarded the Miracle last week, I went to get my card punched so I could put it on a lanyard so wandered over to the CS desk and the line was HUGE! :eek:

I hoped that all those people were not in line already having the auto tips removed.....

The line remained long until probably about 6 pm (I boarded about noon).

I don't understand why people are so nasty about tipping.

back to the topic at hand....I am not a cheerleader for any line, but this story is the fishiest I have ever heard.

Taking this at face value... I would not have signed anything.. call the police.. call whomever.. I am not signing.. The damage is so inconsequential.. This is not "intentional" damage, this is damage from use.. small quarters.. crap happens and stuff bangs and slams into the counter

By the way they claim they were treated you'd think a metal band stayed in the room and trashed the place..

Something is not adding up..

If this is what it is... Carnival is out of line! big time!... But something is definitely missing from this story...

Since this story posting is tied with with autotips, I have to write about something funny..

We had a problem with our S&S cards last week, I couldn't charge and then found out that my daughter's profile was on my account and I was on hers even though the names were correct on the card. Also they entered my son's birthday as the same date as my husband's so he didn't get on the camp carnival roster even though I had pre-registered (no biggie, just couldn't figure out why until we discovered this). It took several trips to get it all straightened out and get new cards printed and then we had additional problems re-boarding from the first port as my daughter's pic came up for me, anyway....

Everytime I was at the desk, people were removing auto tips but one man stood out - he kept listing off excuses as to why he was doing it, he went on and on and on - I almost interupted and said I'd pay them for him, it was that irritating to listen to. The guest relations crew member (eastern European woman) looks him square in the face and says with mucho attitude, "sir, we don't care to know why you are removing gratuities." I just about fell over laughing. The man stomped off and his face was deep purple. I'm sure at that point he felt he had a real excuse for removing them - big jerk.

Were you on the Fantasy last week?

Yes, it definately appears to be a bottle opener that the kid has his hand on in the second picture. It also appears that there is damage along the front of the desk in the first picture and along the side in the second picture. Could be that every day the room steward noticed more damage and confronted the parents who became angry and defensive. Maybe the banning had more to do with attitude than actual damage. None of us will probably ever know the complete truth.

I'm guessing that Carnival has the copy that the guest signed. Carnival likely prepared two originals - one for them to keep, one for the guest to take with him. The guest simply didn't sign his own copy.

As to whether this is bogus or not, I'm guessing there's more to the story. I very much doubt that Carnival would have strong-armed this family over a few scratches on a vanity.

I believe you're absolutely right. Nobody gets banned for a damaged piece of furniture. There had to be something terribly serious that occurred for this person to be banned....some personal behavior of some sort.

And, that BS about him "being detained"....if he was detained it was due to his behavior.....not a piece of furniture. Unless security was holding him for a more serious infraction or seriously agressive behavior, he could simply walk off the ship. They don't have thugs that throw you to the ground and sit on your chest, for sure.

Here's what I see with this thing; he'll blab his side of the story all over every cruise board on the internet. He'll send a letter to the BBB, the CEO and legal department of Carnival Corp and every "consumer complaint" company on the internet..... He'll try to get his local TV station to give him some face time...so he can more effectively be glorified. He'll hire a lawyer.....

This type of person is so predictable. What he'll "demand" is compensation of some sort (which he won't get) and put on his "pity me and mine" demeanor trying to win sympathy...

CNN, MSNBC and others will catch wind of it sooner or later...and he'll probably get an interview on the last 5 minutes of some broadcast...with the person interviewing "tsk, tsking" at the right moments.

Pretty soon, we'll get the news that "his attorney" has advised him not to talk about the impending lawsuit.

I also predict that Carnival will hold firm. They did not ban this man because of a dented or damaged piece of furniture. They don't do that. He did something very, very wrong...this guy. His goose is cooked with Carnival - and he won't get any compensation and, if he pursues a lawsuit, he won't win. Carnival's legal department has all bases covered and has for a long, long time. They are not going to take an action that is legally questionable.

Were you on the Fantasy last week?

Yes! and I just read the roll call last night and thought it might be you but I didn't want to write just in case it wasn't. If we're who we think we are (LOL!) send me an email if you have time - it's in my signature.

This was the first cruise where I didn't look at the roll call because there is usually no activity on the fantasy-class 3/4/5 day cruises.

Glad neither one of us were banned for life!

Yes! and I just read the roll call last night and thought it might be you but I didn't want to write just in case it wasn't. If we're who we think we are (LOL!) send me an email if you have time - it's in my signature.

This was the first cruise where I didn't look at the roll call because there is usually no activity on the fantasy-class 3/4/5 day cruises.

Glad neither one of us were banned for life!

Will do - we are still unpacking (LOL). We stayed an extra day in NOLA, so we did not get home until Sunday afternoon. We'll talk soon

This is a quote from a reply to his "press release" on the guy's blog:

Chris,

Good for you. You did the right thing by not taking blame for something you did not do. I have also enjoyed family cruising in the plast and will think very long and hard about using Carnival. Their “Kangaroo Court” antics are both surprising and disappointing in this day and age. If the CEO of a major travel company gets this kind of treatment, what happens to the average traveler?

Cheers,

Brendan

"major travel company"???? Maybe I live under a rock, but I've never heard of this dude or his company. Now if it was Paul Harvey we were talking about.......... but he is dead, so he couldn't have caused the damage.

I found a statements from the letter that sounded screwy.

She pointed out a few things to him, the Bud Lite was purchased on the boat where they remove the bottle tops before serving the beer, there were no removed bottle tops in the room and Bud Lite has twist off caps!

You can order beer in your room and the caps are still intact. Just because the caps are twist offs does not mean you can't use an opener. Openers are used all the time with twist offs.

When I first saw the marks I thought it looked a lot like bite marks. Is the kid teething?:confused:

Taking this at face value... I would not have signed anything.. call the police.. call whomever.. I am not signing.. The damage is so inconsequential.. This is not "intentional" damage, this is damage from use.. small quarters.. crap happens and stuff bangs and slams into the counter

By the way they claim they were treated you'd think a metal band stayed in the room and trashed the place..

I agree, I wouldn't have signed anything either. I would have flat-out told them, you have my credit card number, charge me. You'd think the "CEO of a major travel company" would know that.

Something is not adding up..

If this is what it is... Carnival is out of line! big time!... But something is definitely missing from this story...

A lot of things are missing from this story ... like all the details from both sides. If he was "detained against his will", why isn't he filing criminal charges? And why did a dispute about a scratched edge escalate to that point to begin with?

There are 100's of ways this scenario could have played out, and those of us who weren't there will never know for sure the true story.

(unless one party steps forward and admits to lying).

I really enjoy reading everyone's speculations regarding how it could have gone down, but for those of you who have posted with absolute certainty that it must have happened a certain way, all I can say is :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The same reason people like you want to blame Carnival without knowing the entire story.....:confused:

The same reason people like you want to blame Carnival without knowing the entire story.....:confused:

Wow, you sure did bark up the wrong tree. :D

The person you quoted is both a veteran cruiser of many lines and has a long history of even-handed posts regarding all cruise lines. Nothing in the post you quoted indicates to me that they "blame Carnival without knowing the story", unless the failure of someone to blindly cheerlead makes them a hater in your world.

Even w/ all the guessing going on, we will have to wait and see if any actual facts turn up. I do also think something is not quite right.

But how can you say a "child looks like trouble"? :confused: That's like judging a book by it's cover! I know a teenager who has purple hair & piercings but is an honor student, courteous and very well mannered. What's on the outside doen't necessary show what is on the inside.

Archived