I wonder if these people removed the autotips?

S.S.Oceanlover

Maybe on a Navy ship, but I believe on a cruise ship the #2 in command is the Staff Captain. Here's an article that states it. I was under the impression that position was also called the Hotel Director. Maybe they are different people. I don't want to hijack this great thread so maybe I'll start a new one on this topic.

What is doesn't state is who the senior ranking officer is in the event the Captain is disabled.

I'm pretty sure the Chief Purser would outrank a Cruise Director, should it get that far down the line. For that matter, I'm not sure a Cruise Director is an officer - I don't recall them having any stripes.

I think next cruise, I'll just ask.

Was this on the Freedom?

John was just the CD on the Freedom and wrote about kids who were dropping ice cream from the top of the Atrium ONTO the duo that plays in the lobby.

It was a real mess and the Duo had to stop playing early because of this.

The wording is odd...does not sound like just damaged furniture

"based on your actions on the current cruise, which were a violation of the ship rules,

interfered with the safety and/or enjoyment of other guests on the ship, or caused harm to Carnival"

somehow some scuff marks on a dresser hardly fit that?? I wonder if other incidents had occurred....it would be good to hear Carnival's side, but we usually don't get that option

Good point!

When I board Fascination in 13 days, I will take pictures of every nick and scuff. Then I will take the pictures to the purser's desk to be signed, just as I would when renting a car. The other couple traveling with us is going to do the same, and if we find anything "interesting", we will report it to the purser's desk just for protection.

If I recall correctly, on the Carnival ships we have cruised, the edge of the vanity that was scratched in the pictures is a plastic strip that can be pulled off and replaced by pressing another on.

It seems just logical to me that if you are not a big spender on any cruise ship you had better be a big tipper:D

Interesting...

in the art auction case Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez, sent this statement yesterday: "Various guests reported to the ship's staff that Mark Jacobs was disrupting the onboard art auction by distributing a flyer to guests. The ship's Hotel Director and Staff Captain met with Mr. Jacobs and explained that his behavior was inappropriate and in violation of the guest conduct policy. In addition, they explained that failure to act in accordance with the policy could result in removal from the ship at the next port of call. Mr. Jacobs continued to be uncooperative and difficult, which resulted in a decision to disembark him the following day in Oslo, Norway, the next port of call."

We of course don't know all the details about "squarehead" guy but MY best guess is that it was not what he did but how he reacted....maybe making a scene, "I run a travel insurance biz, how dare you"...swearing or threatning or even touching a Carnival employee

I agree....simple "damages" would be charged to their credit card which they could dispute later

My guess is that this guy acted the fool with the Carnival employees and they don't need to take that from anyone (and rightfully so)

and yes, we now all know who NOT to buy travel insurance from

John was just the CD on the Freedom and wrote about kids who were dropping ice cream from the top of the Atrium ONTO the duo that plays in the lobby.

It was a real mess and the Duo had to stop playing early because of this.

Wow! Did they catch the rascals? I think punishment of some sort would be in order - like threatening the parents with having to stand in the atrium lobby wearing a sign reading "My Children Threw Ice Cream", while the cruise staff drops gooey treats on their heads from above.

I don't know if it's true or not...but I certainly would not have signed anything. I would have walked off the ship. If they tried to stop me, I would have called 911 and reported a kidnapping (which is what being detained against your will is). I would simply let the police sort everything out.

So I had to google this story to see what else I could find out... The only reference this story has out there is a web site (where the OP got the story from) which is apparently a "Self Press Release" web service that you can join and RELEASE YOUR OWN PRESS RELEASES!! It has plenty of links to this guys' "Fastest growing web site IN THE WORLD" lollolol.. he has some kind of comparison travel insurance website...the other reference that comes up is the guys own website where the same story appears... He is trying to advertise his travel insurance website this way ...I hope Carnival sees this and sues HIM for slander... it is PURE BS... not a single part of his story happened...

Wow! Did they catch the rascals? I think punishment of some sort would be in order - like threatening the parents with having to stand in the atrium lobby wearing a sign reading "My Children Threw Ice Cream", while the cruise staff drops gooey treats on their heads from above.

John never said on the Blog if they caught them (which he wouldn't) ... he simply told us about the incident. John is very careful not to reveal the names of the guilty....when he writes about stuff like this.

OK ... this is weird....someone posted about the ice cream incident on his site in the "comments" section and NOW.... the "comments" section is gone...

Could it be we have an answer..... :rolleyes:

So I had to google this story to see what else I could find out... The only reference this story has out there is a web site (where the OP got the story from) which is apparently a "Self Press Release" web service that you can join and RELEASE YOUR OWN PRESS RELEASES!! It has plenty of links to this guys' "Fastest growing web site IN THE WORLD" lollolol.. he has some kind of comparison travel insurance website...the other reference that comes up is the guys own website where the same story appears... He is trying to advertise his travel insurance website this way ...I hope Carnival sees this and sues HIM for slander... it is PURE BS... not a single part of his story happened...

OMG - I just figured it out. This guy is a genius. He has figured out how to get free publicity for his business - by creating a travel incident, and getting the media to pick it up.

Maybe he staged the incident and got kicked off intentionally so he could publish his story. What an evil genius!

Those are such small marks that could have been made by any number of things. I can't believe Carnival would lose a customer over that. All it needs is one of those furniture pens that cover up scratches. Or maybe a little sanding and refinishing in an off-season time when the cabin is empty. Small drop in the bucket for Carnival to fix it.

I think it's a bad move on Carnival's part. Sh*t happens. Things will suffer wear over time. Now, if the passenger had pulled the shower head out of the wall or had put a wine bottle through the TV that would be different. Carnival can't expect that furniture will never get scratched.

One thing is for sure - the publicity he will get from this thread is going to be overwhelmingly negative. If any news outlet publishes his account without reading and considering this thread, they are incredibly sloppy journalists.

I think his scheme will backfire.

In any event, posting his controversial and questionable episode on his business site was only to draw attention to his business. Ultimately, there is a money-making motive behind a lot of these "negative" stories.

I'm waiting for a real negative story to come along so I can let Carnival have it for their mistake. It's just hard to find one!

OMG - I just figured it out. This guy is a genius. He has figured out how to get free publicity for his business - by creating a travel incident, and getting the media to pick it up.

Maybe he staged the incident and got kicked off intentionally so he could publish his story. What an evil genius!

haha ...yeah you could think of it that way... sometimes I do admire creativity even if it is a bit eveil ;) BUT the "media" never reported this story, only some bogus website where YOU release your own news "stories"... ahhhh the power of the internet!!! But I still think Carnival would have a slander (or is it libel, I always get those confused?) against him...

But I still think Carnival would have a slander (or is it libel, I always get those confused?) against him...

You may be right! Publishing statements you know to be false is indeed something people can get sued for.

If they told him he was banned for being abusive and threatening, and he states he was banned because of furniture damage, he is knowingly making false statements. Too bad Carnival was not more specific in their formal letter banning him. Maybe they have him on video doing something really bad?

With all our speculation, we could make a whodunit TV show out of this, you think?

You may be right! Publishing statements you know to be false is indeed something people can get sued for.

If they told him he was banned for being abusive and threatening, and he states he was banned because of furniture damage, he is knowingly making false statements. Too bad Carnival was not more specific in their formal letter banning him. Maybe they have him on video doing something really bad?

With all our speculation, we could make a whodunit TV show out of this, you think?

Maybe this guy wasn't banned at all... all made up including the form letter which would not be hard to get a copy of... But Carnival people scan these boards and hopefully someone will make the uppers aware of it... but quite frankly Salty, as to the who-dun-it... you and I have already solved it ;) so that makes US geniuses :cool:

Heres my feeling on it. They were accused, they denied it, carnival got mad and said sign or be banned.

Sometimes a threat like that would make some sign and just pay the damage if they want to cruise in the future.

I'm a 1st time cruiser so now i've learned make sure the water bottle is in the cabin or i will get charged and check for damage and report it right away if i see it.

only carnival and the family know the truth, hopefully I will never be in that situation.

ps poor kid with his eyes 1/2 closed , hopefully that picture doesnt haunt him when he's older-lol! I hate when i have pictures taken of me like that, i look drunk , what one blink can do-lol!

I am beginning to think that this family got banned for a "totally different reason" and this guy is mad and trying to put a spin on it by blaming something obviously ridiculous.

When this guy took down the comment section to his "blog" when he was getting hit with some difficult questions.....

he lost all credibility with me.

Archived