I wonder if these people removed the autotips?

S.S.Oceanlover

Wow, you sure did bark up the wrong tree. :D

The person you quoted is both a veteran cruiser of many lines and has a long history of even-handed posts regarding all cruise lines. Nothing in the post you quoted indicates to me that they "blame Carnival without knowing the story", unless the failure of someone to blindly cheerlead makes them a hater in your world.

That is your opinion but I disagree. Where was the post that said Carnival can do no wrong? Most are asking for the whole story, but it would appear you don't need it.

I agree, I wouldn't have signed anything either. I would have flat-out told them, you have my credit card number, charge me. You'd think the "CEO of a major travel company" would know that.

A lot of things are missing from this story ... like all the details from both sides. If he was "detained against his will", why isn't he filing criminal charges? And why did a dispute about a scratched edge escalate to that point to begin with?

Yes and yes!!!... So much missing...

I think the "scratched or damaged" cabin is a COVER for something else. I can't imagine Carnival, or any other cruise line, banning them for such trivial damage.

Why does the pic of that one kid remind me of the "Omen" ? :D

Ok, look closely at the banning letter. The word MASTER is crossed out and the initials HD written in. So, the captain did not sign, it was the Hotel Director?

Well, he is the #2 man on the ship, and the captain can, but never does, question his authority on hotel matters, so the buck stops there.

Chief Engineer is #2 behind the Captain.

The kid looks drunk to me and is touching a corkscrew. Maybe that was the implement of choice.

The CCL article seems fishy to me. The RCI sounds reasonable. We have "fired" clients before where I work. Pretty much the reasoning is that if we are unable to satisfy a client every time they come in, they really should find someone that will better meet their needs. We copy their records & send them on their way. It doesn't happen often, but my boss says that there is no need for a client that everyone dreads coming in because they are ugly to staff or constantly complaining at every visit. It doesn't happen very often, maybe 2 or 3 times in 8 years.

The CCL article seems fishy to me. The RCI sounds reasonable. We have "fired" clients before where I work. Pretty much the reasoning is that if we are unable to satisfy a client every time they come in, they really should find someone that will better meet their needs. We copy their records & send them on their way. It doesn't happen often, but my boss says that there is no need for a client that everyone dreads coming in because they are ugly to staff or constantly complaining at every visit. It doesn't happen very often, maybe 2 or 3 times in 8 years.

I like your boss a lot, and I've never met her/him. :)

The kid looks drunk to me and is touching a corkscrew. Maybe that was the implement of choice.

I thought the #2 person was the Staff Captain. Of course, there could be a couple of #2 persons depending on how the hiearchy is laid out.

Dave

Although I have my doubts, I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt that they are banning him for life because of the damage and not willing to make restitution.

However, as dmdiver pointed out there is no legal requirement that you have to provide service/goods to everyone who walks in your door as long as you don't do it in discriminatory way against protected classes (i.e. you can't refuse service due race, gender, disability etc).

About the only thing that the document that he signed is good for is if he books a cruise, and then they cancel it, they may not return his deposit (mostly likely if they discover his booking during the penalty phase, when they keep if YOU cancel). Even then he may have recourse.

This little brouhaha doesn't change my opinion about Carnival. About the only thing it re-enforces are people who are already predisposed to be negative about Carnival, who wouldn't sale on Carnival anyway.

I thought the #2 person was the Staff Captain. Of course, there could be a couple of #2 persons depending on how the hiearchy is laid out.

Dave

I suppose. Just posting my recollection which could be faulty.

The Captain is in charge of the bridge and the Chief is in charge of the control room and a lot more.

I think John Heald might have posted Carnival's hierarchy once.

According to the proship website, this is the heirarchy on a cruise ship:

What is the hierarchy on a cruise ship? You should be aware of the hierarchy on the cruise ship:

• Captain (Master of the Vessel)
  • Staff Captain (2nd in Command)
  • Hotel Director
  • Cruise Director (Director of Entertainment)

Officers: Officers are a breed apart. Unless you have already been exposed to a military environment, it can take some getting used to. Officers live in a world where strict obedience and respect are of the utmost importance. If you show officers the respect they expect, you will not have a problem. The best answer to an officer's command is a prompt and enthusiastic "YES SIR!"

Cruise Director: He/She is in charge of all on-board entertainment and has a long and hectic schedule. The Cruise Director can fire anyone who is not fitting in. Make it a point to cultivate a good relationship with your Cruise director.

< Prev Next >

Maybe on a Navy ship, but I believe on a cruise ship the #2 in command is the Staff Captain. Here's an article that states it. I was under the impression that position was also called the Hotel Director. Maybe they are different people. I don't want to hijack this great thread so maybe I'll start a new one on this topic.

Maybe on a Navy ship, but I believe on a cruise ship the #2 in command is the Staff Captain. Here's an article that states it. I was under the impression that position was also called the Hotel Director. Maybe they are different people. I don't want to hijack this great thread so maybe I'll start a new one on this topic.

Hotel Director is an entirely different person. For the crew, the Staff Captain can set the mood depending on how his discipline is meted out.

Dave

While we're talking about unwelcome guests, here's an article of how not to attend an art auction.

I could be wrong, but I read that story to mean that the cruise line put him off not for handing out the flyers, but for refusing to follow an order to stop handing out flyers. May not seem a significant difference to some, but it would be an important distinction on a vessel at sea.

So, do you think everyone who is kicked off the ship for bad behavior gets one of those "banned for life" letters from Carnival? I don't think this guy was the first to get one of those. I bet most people who get one are embarrassed and don't want to talk about it.

So, do you think everyone who is kicked off the ship for bad behavior gets one of those "banned for life" letters from Carnival? I don't think this guy was the first to get one of those. I bet most people who get one are embarrassed and don't want to talk about it.
I wonder if any of them account for the line bashing trolls on some of the boards....hmmmm

I wonder if any of them account for the line bashing trolls on some of the boards....hmmmm

Yes, you'd have to be really ticked off in order to come on a board and start something. Life is too short to mess around with stuff like that. And invariably, they all get called out eventually. It's hard to pull one over on us!

Archived