Independence of the Seas - maybe yes, maybe no!

rannoch

Getting ready for our cruise next Saturday from Southampton. Notice I said "getting ready" not "looking forward to" as I'm now feel punch drunk (and a bit deflated) with the for and against reviews/comments regarding this ship, it's size, staff, food, meal times, food quality, prices, tours, entertainment (quality and queueing up for tickets), ports, ajoining cabin noise, Southampton weather, alcohol costs ... can I change to a day trip to Millport on the Waverley!

I know everyone has different tastes and expectations, but it's difficult not to get caught up in the comments.

Our main concern since we received our tickets was the meal time - 6.00pm. Why so early? I know there is 8.30pm, and the flexi option. I also saw a comment that they also have 6.30pm but when contacted RCI only quoted the ones I have mentioned. The flexi seems from a practical point of view the obvious option, but are we going to be shoe-horned into a table each night with different people, or sitting by ourselves in an area away from the main dining area?

The tours are on the whole over-priced, but (I thought) convenient to book, and we decided to go on a couple of them - Gibraltar Upper Rock Tour, but when I tried to book was not available, and Taste of Florence which when you read between the lines of the flowery description consisted of a walking tour which we had done previously, and then free time which, for what we wanted to see was too short - maybe a city break to Florence would be better.

As to the rest ...

Sardinia an open-topped bus tour was suggested. Is that a hop on at the pier job?

Cannes - train from Cannes to Monaco, then back to Nice for a stroll along the prom, and back to ship.

Malaga - maybe a city bus tour

Barcalona - nothing planned. Suggestions?

Lison - walking tour

Vigo - stroll around the town.

I received a lot of good advice from this from regarding the various ports. Some, like Florence showed us how impractical our planning was, and others (e.g. Cannes) confirmed that what we wanted to do was feasible. Very much appreciated.

Entertainment. Haven't seen an specifics regarding lounge entertainers - are they any good - are there any???. Why do you need to queue for tickets for the ice show - is this only on certain days.

As to costs of water / alcohol. I know everyone has justifiable gripes, and it can up, but my thinking is we are there to have a holiday not look at penny savings - leave that for the rest of the year at the supermarket. So, we'll take what comes, but with the proviso that if there are any price hikes or "mistakes", and it will be pistols at dawn!

Watch this space!

Rannoch

Hi Rannoch we (Alex and Loraine) are goinhg on the Independence on 12 Sept too - our first cruise. I know what you mean about all the comments etc. Some of them can be quite negative - although you are never going to please all of the people all of the time but it can be off-putting. Anyway we can only hope it will be good. ` As I say it is our first cruise and it all seems full of questions - about payment. dining, what to wear etc. I am sure people who have cruised before (have you?) will think these concerns are daft but it is a bit like going into the unknown!! Hope it's a nice unknown!! Are you from Scotland? See you mention going to Millport instead!!!!!! We are about 15 miles from Edinburgh.

You can't allow yourself to "feel down" when reading reviews. This is cruise critic, and the fact that people usually only state negative experiences. Please remember that if everyone had a bad experience RCCL wouldn't be a largely successful and mostly profitable company.

I cannot speak for anything on the Indy, but i can answer a couple of things.

You have 3 options for dinner each night. Early, and Late seating are part of traditional dining (MDR) and My Time Dining (MTD) is the flexi option you were referring to. I have done both and will never to MDR again. MTD operates like a resteruant. You can make reservations, or you can just show up between 6-9 (i believe). You state you are signed up for early seating. If you perfer late seating to the MDR when you board the ship, and request to be switched. If there is space it will happen....it may be full, however i have never heard of anyone who wanted to switch being told no.

There is enterainment in the lounges. Weather they are any good is completely subjective, however i personally felt some were better then others, and all were better then what you may find in a lounge where you are from.

Try and clear you head prior to getting on board. If you don't have any expectation other then to enjoy your vacation, you cannot be disappointed!

Hi Rannoch

You probably read my recent Indy review and it did contain positives. It just wasn't our best holiday that's all.

As first timers you will be wowed by the ship. You have nothing to compare it with so enjoy what it has to offer.

My only other advice is avoid the RCL suttle buses. You can do your ow thing at a fraction of what RCL will charge you. Cannes, Lisbon and Vigo are great for walking around in and don't feel the need to visit Monaco. You'll no doubt get the cruise bug and visit Monaco directly on another cruise.

We were on second sitting (8.30) but never got into the restaurant before 9 pm. I'm sure if you turned up at 6.30 you'd be helping the waiters out as they can attend to the others first.

The queue for the ice went the whole length of the Royal Promenade! Don't be put off as the ice shows are great tio watch.

Have a great cruise

Peter

This is a lovely city and very easy to do on your own. Not sure whether RCI runs a shuttle into town but if not, take a taxi to Las Ramblas which is a good staring point. Lots to see round there (check out La Boqueria fruit market) and then you can get on a hop-on/off bus at Catalunya Square at the end of Las Ramblas. There are two routes so be careful which bus you get on if you are pushed for time. La Sagrada Familia and Gaudi Park are both worth visiting, but really so many of the buildings in Barcelona are great and you will see a lot from the bus. Do watch for pickpockets and take photo ID if you intend to use your credit card as most shops will ask for it.

Rannoch .... Ignore the reviews and make up your own mind on the Indy at least that way you can decide if you like it or not, do not let others spoil your First cruise before you have got there!

There will always be people who no matter what you do will always find something wrong where there is nothing! and will whinge and whine about the smallest things .... on the Ruby princess last year ...4th sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and 2 women in their 70`s were whining because they didnt get to sit at their usual table!! so what ? they got to eat !

We read Negative reviews on the Brilliance of the seas before our Med trip this June, its a Great ship with a Great crew .... we have also read a poor review of the Vision of the seas which we will be on next week but we will go and make our own minds up about it not just accept someone elses complaints.

As for Monaco .... we did it ourselves from Cannes by Train and it cost around 9 Euros return .... so easy to get there ... either walk to Cannes station or take a Taxi... At Monaco... go down the stairs from the platform follow the passageway and you come out across the road from the Port ...:)

Enjoy your cruise .....:D

This is a lovely city and very easy to do on your own. Not sure whether RCI runs a shuttle into town but if not, take a taxi to Las Ramblas which is a good staring point. Lots to see round there (check out La Boqueria fruit market) and then you can get on a hop-on/off bus at Catalunya Square at the end of Las Ramblas. There are two routes so be careful which bus you get on if you are pushed for time. La Sagrada Familia and Gaudi Park are both worth visiting, but really so many of the buildings in Barcelona are great and you will see a lot from the bus. Do watch for pickpockets and take photo ID if you intend to use your credit card as most shops will ask for it.

There is a port bus that stops outside the ship and it is very cheap, get a return fare.

It drops you off at the bottom of Las Ramblas, where the HOHO bus departs from and returns from the same spot.

The Independence is a beautiful ship and I am sure when you get onboard you will enjoy her...she really does have the Wow factor :D

There are always mixed reviews about a ship and admittedly well, we Brits can be shall we say 'different' in our ideas of how things should/could be done.

You will a variety of entertainment around the ship...you can go disco dancing one night, singalong in the schooner bar another, headliner shows in the theatre, have a pint or three while sitting in the Pub listening to the singer in there, Ice show...heck that is like wowowow just on its own.:D

If you arent into all the sports activities you will still find lots to do, my son & I dont 'do' sports but love to watch others on the Flowrider. We do though have a tradition on every cruise that on the last night around 2am we do play mini golf...and have a wee contest on the basketball court. But that is it for sport wise for us.

You can relax and read in the library or out on deck.

You can eat till your trousers wont tie up.

You can talk day and night with others on your cruise...cruise buddies can turn out to be your best buddies :D

Dont forget a midnight soak in the Hot tub.

And while you are doing these things...dont forget about the wonderful ports you are going to see.

Now ports are personal I think...heck we all like different things but it looks like you have nice plans for walk tours etc to get a wee taster of the cities you are visiting. We never take big long touristy tours....nah...off for a wee lookie around..see some shops...just to get a feel for the city....and maybe think..'hey I would like to hop over here another time and stay longer'.

Eating....well heck plenty choice on the Indy...and if you are unhappy at any time with MDR...go up to the Windjammer...go to Johnny Rockets....go to Speciality restaurant...heck go have pizza for dinner....or have room service :D

Geez I sound like a brochure today sorry but...go with the right positive attitude and you will have a blast.....hey if you see anyone behaving inapprop...inaprop....oh pants..badly...then ignore/look away..whatever. Hey you paid lots of dosh for your cruise so go and enjoy it.

Oh and with regards Southampton..check-in is great there..and when onboard the ship use the time going across the Bay...to relax and get your bearings onboard.;) ...or if its a rough crossing you can feel drunk without paying out any money ..ooops sorry should I have deleted that bit :o

Yes, we are from Scotland - south of Glasgow. Travelling down on Friday by car, overnight stay, and down to the ship for around 11.00am. Hopefully we will get on then.

Regarding the MTD. When you book for dinner, or just turn up are you asked if you want to sit at a large table, or a table for two. Quite like the large table, but obviously it will be different people each night.

Do we request to switch when we register, or at Customer Relations.

This is very therapeutic. Thanks for your re-assurances. I have no doubt that it will be superb.

Thanks,

Rannoch

I think threre are more people that like Independence than dislike it. It is your first cruise so you will have nothing to compare it to and I guarantee you will be wowed! It is a beautiful ship, and very clean. I found the the Royal Promenade & Windjammer to be very crowded, but many people have commented on how spacious it all seemed. We all have different perceptions of space and travel at different times of the year - both will make a difference to your cruise experience.

Re dining times, if you really don't want to eat at 6pm I suggest as soon as you have boarded you should go straight to the Dining Room and ask to be switched to a later sitting or MTD if you prefer (the earlier you get this done - the better as there will be other people wanting to switch too).

September is a great time to cruise, the weather will be great and the crowds will be less, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Indy is a beautiful ship and I am sure you will have a great time. I do agree that you should go and try to change your dining time as 6pm will be too rushed on port days.

There are indeed some days where the pool deck is crowded and at certain times of day the windjammer and promenade can get very busy. We seem to have the knack of avoiding the busy times and found our spots to sit.

I don't imagine the ship will be overrun with kids as not too many parents like them to miss the first few weeks of term.

Make sure you visit Chops or Portofino, both are fantastic, my husband prefers Portofino, I prefer Chops.

I am sure when you get back you will find all your fears were for nothing and you will have a great time.

I read your review yesterday and it had me shaking my head in bewilderment, but I've just gotta respond to this comment.

We were on second sitting (8.30) but never got into the restaurant before 9 pm. I'm sure if you turned up at 6.30 you'd be helping the waiters out as they can attend to the others first.

:eek::eek: The MDR is not a restaurant. The serve staff and the kitchen have a system, based on everyone arriving within 15 minutes of the seating time. If you arrive 30+ minutes after the assigned seating, you will have your waiter looking for appetizers when the kitchen has main courses up, main courses when desserts are up etc. It will slow down your waiter significantly, making his whole section receive poorer service. Showing up late is rude to everyone in his section, but especially rude to any tablemates you may have.

If you don't think you can arrive at your assigned seating time, you should really take advantage of one of the other dining options available to you.

Stepping off of soapbox now.

Do Not Worry about the negative posts, some people are born whingers. I was on this amazing cruise in July and could not fault the ship for anything. Food and entertainment are awesome. yes it can be pricey for drinks and excursions but you're on holiday. When we were on there was a lot of kids but we always got a sunbed and never missed a show . you don't have to spend all day queueing for tickets for the ice show. people queue for tickets then don't go, that is when you walk in with no ticket. ice show was never full. read other posts where people are moaning no this no that, all you have to do ask the service is superb. make a point of going up to the Olive or Twist bar deck 14. 1st few days nobody knows its there and its great. comfy seats looking out to sea with soothing backgroung music. ( getting jealous now) GO AND ENJOY

I am booked on the indy in october 09 and I too was a bit worried about the negative comments on this site.

However you are all correct it is a holiday, its what you make it, and i am going to make it a great holiday. Enjoy yourself.

Cant wait to get drunk without drinking:D oh the seas in October.

I just went on the Review section of Cruise Critic and there were 143 reviews for Independence. I just looked at the first 2 pages which was 50 reviews. 46 out of 50 had 4 blue ribbons or more on a scale of 1-5. 31 had 5 ribbons. Sounds to me like pretty good odds. I just sailed on Freedom (Indy's sister ship) in July and we had a fabulous time. And that was middle of summer with many kids on board. I couldn't really complain about anything except having to get off on the last day. In my review I stated that I wish they played more music at the pool on Sea Days, I PERSONALLY didn't care for the Piano player/singer in the Schooner bar but they were full every night so someone must have. But there were plenty of other areas with entertainment so it wasn't like I didn't have another place to go enjoy myself. We did My Time Dining and thought it was fantastic. We requested the same wait staff each night and they accomodated us. Longest we had to wait was about 15 minutes I think.

If you have been reading cruise critic for any length of time you should know by now there there are some people on here that will turn any situation, comment, or whatever into something ugly. It's like they have nothing better to do and no other goal in life but to rain on someone else's parade. I don't have any problem with someone having a different opinion than me but there are ways to express those without be ugly about it. And they were obviously not taught that if you don't have something nice to say then don't say it at all. As others have said, most things on a cruise are subjective to opinion. What I may think is fantastic another may think is awful. But just because someone thought the onion tart was not that good would not keep me from trying it. First off, it sounds delicious. Second off, MOST that have tried it said it was good to unbelievably delicious. But then you have someone that just has to chime in that all mainstream cruise lines serve banquet food, nothing more so don't expect much. That was just his/her opinion which is fine but in my opinion it was kind of a rude comment. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

I have been on 6 cruises now and found cruise critic just before my 2nd cruise. I have found the information on here to be awesome and insightful and I appreciate all the comments and help which have steered me to things I may not have known about otherwise and away from things that may or may not have impacted my cruise. Sometimes though I feel like maybe there is too much information which leaves nothing to the imagination or unknown so that when you experience it your reaction may be somewhat less or may be a bit of a letdown. There may be things you don't do or see because someone speaks badly of it when it could have been one of your highlights. So I would take what you read from here with a grain of salt and remember that most are just opinions and personal preferences and experience as much as you can and form your own opinion.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise!

My hubby, kids (19 and 16) and I are on the same cruise (12th Sept), I was a little worried too after reading the thread...for about 2 mins...then I carried on feeling soooooooooo excited about our first ever cruise, excited about not sleeping the night before, excited about getting up at the crack of dawn and driving all the way from Manchester to Southampton and stopping at a pub on the way ;), staying overnight in a local hotel and seeing Indy for the first time on the Saturday when we arrive at port...have the video camera ready! Like the other guys say its what you make it...and we plan to have the best time ever..seeing places (even just for the day) that we have never been to before, dressing up all posh (even my teenage son has agreed to wear a suit instead of his tatty jeans!) Might see you on board...who knows....ENJOY!!!!!!!:D:D p.s. I'm excited all over again now

From what I have seen other posters say on here, it might depend on if you are on a full ship or not. If full, the MTD may be full already. If it is then that might mean late seating is available. You can do it ahead of time so you don't have to worry about it when you board. Just remember that when you switch to MTD they make you prepay your gratuities. If your sailing is not full then doing on board will probably be fine.

Hi

I am on this ship and am very excited !! It will be fab !!

Debbie

Yes, we are from Scotland - south of Glasgow. Travelling down on Friday by car, overnight stay, and down to the ship for around 11.00am. Hopefully we will get on then.

Regarding the MTD. When you book for dinner, or just turn up are you asked if you want to sit at a large table, or a table for two. Quite like the large table, but obviously it will be different people each night.

Do we request to switch when we register, or at Customer Relations.

This is very therapeutic. Thanks for your re-assurances. I have no doubt that it will be superb.

Thanks,

Rannoch

My hubby, kids (19 and 16) and I are on the same cruise (12th Sept), I was a little worried too after reading the thread...for about 2 mins...then I carried on feeling soooooooooo excited about our first ever cruise, excited about not sleeping the night before, excited about getting up at the crack of dawn and driving all the way from Manchester to Southampton and stopping at a pub on the way ;), staying overnight in a local hotel and seeing Indy for the first time on the Saturday when we arrive at port...have the video camera ready! Like the other guys say its what you make it...and we plan to have the best time ever..seeing places (even just for the day) that we have never been to before, dressing up all posh (even my teenage son has agreed to wear a suit instead of his tatty jeans!) Might see you on board...who knows....ENJOY!!!!!!!:D:D p.s. I'm excited all over again now

I just returned from a cruise on Inde and you will LOVE it. You have exactly the right attitude and your jaw will drop when you board and see all the glitz shine and sheer enormity of the ship !!!

Your sons will have a ball and if they are anything like mine you will hardly see them.

I am soooooo jealous !

Hi

We were on the Independence on the 4th July sailing.My children had a fantastic holiday and for this reason I would sale again. From a personal point of view,I was left on my own in the evenings(single parent) so it was not my best holiday.We did have lovely tablemates and I spent some pleasant evenings with them.

To answer some of your points...we were on early seating also,you are actually asked to take your seat in the main dining room between 6.00 and 6.30pm and many people did turn up at the later time

My time dining is seperated off you can choose to share or have your own table

When the port days are long the early seating was altered to sit between 7 and 7.15pm, we were able to make all our sittings and there were 4 of us in the cabin

Don't worry about Gibralter, there are lots of taxis who will do the rock tour with you. It was £12 per person plus admissions. We joined together with another family that we met in the line waiting for the shuttle bus. Taxis are avilable at ther port or in town. We took the shuttle bus into town for £2.00 return. The tour includes the caves monkeys and seige tunnels and was very interesting

Lisbon is easy on your own. When you get off the ship there is a hop on hop off bus available from the port gate. We however got a taxi from the port to the cathedral for 5 euro's from here you are able to take a short walk and via an underpass to Padrao dos Descobrimentos. It is a small admission fee to get to the top via an elevater and watch an interesting audiovisual presentation. We then took the short walk back to the cathedral where we cought a bus to the city center. We then picked up the number 28 tram (great experiance aound the city). This requires you to get off at one point and get on another same numbered tram 2 minutes away. Finally we got a taxi back to our ship

Our itnerary did not include Barcelona, but we did have a fantastic tour to Florence and Pisa, we joined with other cruise critic members and used a firm called allaounditaly well worth the money.This was lucky as otherwise we would have taken the train and there happened to be a strike on that day, many people stayed on the ship

The windjammer does get busy but we never had any major problems. The staff were always helpful and tried to find you a table just ask. Also a good tip is if the place looks full you are allowed to sit in the restaurant. As you enter it is the one on the right hand side. The one on the left is reserved for suite guests

We also ate in the MDR for breakfast,here we ate on our own and were also placed with other guests. If you wanted to sit on your own I,m sure we could have requested. They also have a buffet if you need a quick breakfast or you can order off the menu

I hope some of this helps you a bit and allays some of your fears. Feel free to ask any questions

Debs

Archived