LIVE from Fairbanks to Vancouver cruisetour 9/6/09

Pia1913

Today was magnificent as well as unique. Of course we are exhausted. Left the hotel this morning at 6:00 and came back at almost 3:00 PM. Breakfast buffet at 5:15. What an ungodly hour for eating. But, we managed.

Our travels into Denali park was by school bus, the largest kind of vehicle allowed. Not our regular yellow bus, but one with video screens that the driver utilized when animals were too far away for us to see. Again, unbelievable colors. And yes, we saw Mt. McKinley too. I forgot to mention that we also got a view of Mt. M from the train, which our narrator (forgot to mention her too) told us was something that didn’t happy very often. Our bus driver Bill gave ongoing narration all the way. We saw:

1 rabbit

1 spruce grouse

1 squirrel

1 lynx

2 rams

Lots of Dall sheep

6 caribou

And………………….

6 Grizzlies. Three were very far away, but then suddenly just off to the side of the road were 3 others. Up close and personal. Eating and romping about. This is one of the things we came for and are so pleased.

Again, though a lot cooler than yesterday, the weather is wonderful. I hope the weather fairy continues to sprinkle her dust upon us.

Tomorrow we are on our way to Copper River for the next two nights and will be on the road all day.

Today was magnificent as well as unique. Of course we are exhausted. Left the hotel this morning at 6:00 and came back at almost 3:00 PM. Breakfast buffet at 5:15. What an ungodly hour for eating. But, we managed.

Our travels into Denali park was by school bus, the largest kind of vehicle allowed. Not our regular yellow bus, but one with video screens that the driver utilized when animals were too far away for us to see. Again, unbelievable colors. And yes, we saw Mt. McKinley too. I forgot to mention that we also got a view of Mt. M from the train, which our narrator (forgot to mention her too) told us was something that didn’t happy very often. Our bus driver Bill gave ongoing narration all the way. We saw:

1 rabbit

1 spruce grouse

1 squirrel

1 lynx

2 rams

Lots of Dall sheep

6 caribou

And………………….

6 Grizzlies. Three were very far away, but then suddenly just off to the side of the road were 3 others. Up close and personal. Eating and romping about. This is one of the things we came for and are so pleased.

Again, though a lot cooler than yesterday, the weather is wonderful. I hope the weather fairy continues to sprinkle her dust upon us.

Tomorrow we are on our way to Copper River for the next two nights and will be on the road all day.

Thanks for the update Arlene, We have done that tour - the Dali sheep were only white specs with the naked eye. Didn't see much else that we can't see in the woods less than 5 miles from our house. In fact we see bald eagles all the time.

We did get to see the Mountain just before the bus left Denali lodge. Great site.

Ron

WOW Pia sounds like you are having a blast! If we go back to Alaska sounds like we may just have to do part or some of the cruisetour. I agree poor bear:(, but glad to hear you got to see some live ones. Ooh grizzlies up close sounds great. Sounds like the lovely gator that decided to grace us when we were doing an everglades boat ride after our Caribbean cruise. It was a momma one and she was right next to my side of the boat.......creepy but cool. :eek: LOL

Have a fabulous time and we are living through you and deciding what to pack based on your weather. :D

Pia -

Glad to be joining you in your adventures of Alaska! Sounds like the food is good and the sites are amazing! I agree 5:15 is not functioning for me even with coffee:) but I think I would be able to do it on this tour. Can't wait to hear about the boat!

So glad you continue to have such great weather and then all the wildlife you saw...WOW. We sure missed out on this trip, should never have canceled!!! A few years ago we drove about 2,000 miles in Alaska, all we saw was one bald eagle, but the scenery was great.

Just read we are going to be shipmates next October on the Sapphire, very nice.

Looking forward to your next posting and hope the weather holds .................................

Pia, thanks for the report. I agree, that is EARLY to think about food. But the main question, "how was the coffee"? ;)

Sounds like you had a great day, hope tomorrow is just as nice for you.

Real good coffee at all lodges. They use Douwe Egbert (sp?).

Hello everyone; just checked into the Copper River Wilderness Lodge, which is 250 miles South of Denali. Before saying anything about today, let me first tell you about our excitement of last night.

We went to bed approx. 10:30 and awakened from sleep by a fire alarm and strobe lights flashing in our room. Jumped into our jeans, grabbed my purse and out the door. All guests were in the hallway and security said we could stay there. It seems that someone on the second floor decided to hang their laundry on the sprinkler head. The head broke, water flooded their room as well as the room below it. Thank goodness no fire.

Today was another early start for our long bus ride. The sky was absolutely clear and about ½ hour down the road we were able to see Mt. McKinley in all its grandeur. Unbelievable. The bus driver said they hadn’t seen it like this all season. We made several photo stops and saw a bald eagle, some swans and lots of caribou. We passed a beaver lodge; beavers were on vacation.

This Princess lodge is in the middle on nowhere, but accommodations are lovely and there’s wifi in the room. Good TV reception with all the main stations. The view from our window is fabulous; changing colors and snowcapped mountains.

We have nothing specific scheduled here and will just play it by ear. More later if/when there is something to say.

Will add my 2 cents here - In re: the ATV - a fabulous time was had by all but Mike who was worried sick about Pia! All quite unnecessary as I was following her and she was having a ball (as was I!) but we were definitively the 'senior contingent' within our group. In case any of you doubt that Pia would do this - I have pictures!! Downside was the poor poor bear - didn't like that at all, even though I understand it is a big part of the way of life here - hunters were all out in force today as well all along the road between Denali and Copper River, as moose season just opened and caribou season is also open, although that is by license, unlike moose, who apparently can be shot on sight by anyone so inclined. Poor moose...:(

In re: food - best of the trip so far by far far far was the restaurant last night - it was VERY good - everything else up to that point barely made acceptable. Dinner - at our table - two had the 'red' (aka King) crab legs, two had the king salmon, both dishes were very well executed. I looked at the steak going by and it looked good too. Breakfast this am was good too - our table had a pretty good sampling of the options and everyone was satisfied. I can vouch for the salmon benedict - very good.

In re: the Music of Denali show - food mediocre at best IMHO, show fun, but MADE by the audience members who were chosen - evidently at random - to participate. One was in our tour group, and is a real ham, in addition to being a participant in a local men's chorus, so he was fantastic, as was another lady from across the room, who was just as good - both of them so much got "into" the show that they had the regular actors and actresses in stitches. It made a pretty average experience into something really fun and special.

Tundra Wilderness Tour - totally worth every somewhat less than luxurious minute. We had SUCH gorgeous weather - it was spectacular.

Today was a LONG bus trip, through beautiful territory, but LONG and after a while - it just got to be a long bus trip. Lodge here is very nice, small, but in a beautiful location.

We got here in a minor drizzle - first wet weather we have had - we're hoping for it to clear tomorrow. This is our first 'unstructured' stop and we'd planned to do some hiking, and we're going to be going into the park to the visitors center regardless of the weather tomorrow. To be sure, Pia will keep you posted - I'll throw in my perspective from time to time, too.

Meanwhile, dinner tonight, and hopefully, we will get to catch the park ranger talk this evening, too, and for a change, sleep in until at least 7 AM. We haven't slept past 5 AM so far the whole trip. Could do without this - am going to need a vacation from my vacation! And, of course, the adrenalin rush from the multiple fire alarms last night didn't help!

From here, we go to Kenai, then to the ship. Whew...

Edited by DonahCBrown

Thanks for the update ladies.

And Pia, thanks for putting up with the idiot that set the sprinklers off. I have to say though, that is what pays for our cruises and suites. My DH is a contractor for the fire protection equipment at our near by Military post. It is idiots like that, that keep us cruising in style. :) :)

I finally got to read through this whole thread and have enjoyed your posts Pia. DH and I have talked about doing a cruise tour and decided a third trip to Alaska will be necessary since our plans for next year are already set. ;) Enjoy the Coral before she goes in for her beauty treatment.

Edited by cruiserjanet