Breaking news: Carnival legend collides with rccl ship!

I love cruising. I have never cruised with another line because I have always had good experiences with RCCL. We live in a world full of choices and all of those choices are available because we as human beings are not all the same. Imagine a world where no one had choices. In my world everyone would spend all of thier time drinking margaritas on the beach in Mexico. Oh, that is in my dream world. Work hard, play harder and love living life. Don't forget to relax a little and laugh a lot.

I'm glad that there was not any bad damage to either ship and that we will all be able to go on the cruises we have booked. After reading all of these posts I am sure that there are a lot of people like me out there who really need thier vacation, BAD.

Yes, but you posted the pics to a public forum. There-by giving up all wrights to the photos. You gave all wrights to the forum owners. Not smart. Nothing like being the first one to post. Think before you post.

Joan,

If you "post" photographs on a public forum, you DO NOT give all rights to the forum owners. Especially when you have linked to the photograph located on another server.

Know before you post.

Put it to bed!!!

Thank you Planocruiser3 for putting up the pictures!

I can tell you... If someone puts pictures on Facebook, MySpace, etc... then they are fair game for rebroadcast. Trust me.

If the owner of the photo wants to copyright them, then they have the option of putting a copyright directly on the photo (you'll see that sometimes - people put a "watermark" directly on the photo).

Word to the wise - if you don't want it out there for the world to see, then don't put it out there for the world to see. This includes photos and what you say.

I have 20+ years as a journalist. The media reprints pictures people put on their social network sites all the time. A recent example was the case of the Yale student who was brutally murdered just before her wedding. The photos of her that were broadcast all over the newstories about here came from her Facebook page. And everyone who said the media won't pay for photos is for the most part correct. Most REPUTABLE outlets won't pay, but will usually give photo credit.

So Plano did right - he gave credit where credit was due, and did nothing wrong. Quit giving him/her grief!

Just my educated 2 cents... now back to your regularly scheduled topic!

You don't need to put a symbol on a picture to copyright it. The mere act of publishing or putting your creation into a tangible form copyrights it with a symbol or not. Now if you waive rights in the fine print by uploading to social networking OR we get into Fair Use issues, then we can have different arguments.

Originally Posted by TexasAnn viewpost.gif

Put it to bed!!!

Thank you Planocruiser3 for putting up the pictures!

I can tell you... If someone puts pictures on Facebook, MySpace, etc... then they are fair game for rebroadcast. Trust me.

If the owner of the photo wants to copyright them, then they have the option of putting a copyright directly on the photo (you'll see that sometimes - people put a "watermark" directly on the photo).

Word to the wise - if you don't want it out there for the world to see, then don't put it out there for the world to see. This includes photos and what you say.

I have 20+ years as a journalist. The media reprints pictures people put on their social network sites all the time. A recent example was the case of the Yale student who was brutally murdered just before her wedding. The photos of her that were broadcast all over the newstories about here came from her Facebook page. And everyone who said the media won't pay for photos is for the most part correct. Most REPUTABLE outlets won't pay, but will usually give photo credit.

So Plano did right - he gave credit where credit was due, and did nothing wrong. Quit giving him/her grief!

Just my educated 2 cents... now back to your regularly scheduled topic!

You don't need to put a symbol on a picture to copyright it. The mere act of publishing or putting your creation into a tangible form copyrights it with a symbol or not. Now if you waive rights in the fine print by uploading to social networking OR we get into Fair Use issues, then we can have different arguments.

Sorry TexasAnn, I don't agree with you here.

"I can tell you... If someone puts pictures on Facebook, MySpace, etc... then they are fair game for rebroadcast. Trust me."

So if Royal Caribbean has photographs / images on their Facebook page I can take them and rebroadcast them as I like? Including their logo?

Sorry - no can do.

Joan,

If you "post" photographs on a public forum, you DO NOT give all rights to the forum owners. Especially when you have linked to the photograph located on another server.

Know before you post.

As a photographer myself this post is completely correct. Just because you post something in a public forum does NOT mean you give away your copyright to the image.

Same as if I were to write a novel and post it online it doesn't mean its open season for anybody else to take that novel and print it themselves and make money off of it, the writer still retains full copyright of his work.

There is waaaaaaay too much misinformation going around about copyright these days, especially when it comes to photography.

Will the Enchantment be docking in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale tmrw? If its Miami I may be able to get some photo's of the damage depending on how she docks... If its Ft. Lauderdale then its doubtful.....

Fort Lauderdale

Actually Philip, I have to jump on to back up what TexasAnn said:

"I can tell you... If someone puts pictures on Facebook, MySpace, etc... then they are fair game for rebroadcast. Trust me."

This is totally correct, even though you do have copyright priviledges, when you sign a contract with Facebook or Myspace, it gives them the exclusive rights to "ALL", read it and weep, all of the information you put into your account, i.e. for their use. Sez so in the contract...my DH is an IT tech and he knows first hand that this is absolutely true. And this has been reported on major news networks as well. I am not allowed to even visit those particular blogs because of the inherant problems and sniffing programs associated with them. Too dangerous! You'd have to go through some really hairy litigation to try to uphold your copyright because of your signature on their contract.

He'd prefer it if I never visited YouTube as well, but I sneak peak it anyway. He has to rebuild systems on a weekly basis when users go to these sites. They contract PC viruses like the common cold.

Here is a link to prove what we are saying: http://media.www.smithsophian.com/media/storage/paper587/news/2009/02/26/Opinions/Facebook.Under.Fire.For.Contract.Changes-3650403.shtml

It comments on the legal problems with their contract.

Actually Philip, I have to jump on to back up what TexasAnn said:

This is totally correct, even though you do have copyright priviledges, when you sign a contract with Facebook or Myspace, it gives them the exclusive rights to "ALL", read it and weep, all of the information you put into your account, i.e. for their use. Sez so in the contract...my DH is an IT tech and he knows first hand that this is absolutely true. And this has been reported on major news networks as well. I am not allowed to even visit those particular blogs because of the inherant problems and sniffing programs associated with them. Too dangerous! You'd have to go through some really hairy litigation to try to uphold your copyright because of your signature on their contract.

He'd prefer it if I never visited YouTube as well, but I sneak peak it anyway. He has to rebuild systems on a weekly basis when users go to these sites. They contract PC viruses like the common cold.

Here is a link to prove what we are saying: http://media.www.smithsophian.com/media/storage/paper587/news/2009/02/26/Opinions/Facebook.Under.Fire.For.Contract.Changes-3650403.shtml

It comments on the legal problems with their contract.

Hi BecciBoo,

Firstly, I’m sorry to everyone for hi-jacking this informative thread...

Thank you for the time to respond to me. I am aware of the privacy issues on social networks. I am certainly not a lawyer and do not have all the knowledge on copyright infringement. Hopefully a professional in this field can advise.

As far as I know, and according to the link posted, we are talking about two different things. The issue you are referring to relates to privacy, not copyright or trademark. Certainly there are copyright elements involved in their vastly detailed contract, but I believe that there are copyright and trademark laws that will not be affected by the fact that the material is found on a social network.

Whether I found a piece of paper on the street displaying a Coke logo on it, or "finding" a Coke logo on the internet (Coke's website or Coke's Facebook page) it does not give me the permission to do with it whatever I want.

That logo is copyrighted. It is a trademark.

If what you are saying is true, then Facebook or anyone else visiting it can take the Coke logo found on the social network and start producing a Cola marketing the Cola with the Coke logo they found online.

This is a very complex subject matter but if there is one thing I would advise to our Cruise Critic friends it would be that you DO NOT have the right to use someone else’s work without their permission, not do you magically obtain the right by simply finding the work online.

Finding it on a social network or any other location does not make you the owner.

The FBI is arresting people that downloads movies and music off of a social network. It is illegal. It doesn’t give you permission to have it nor share or sell (re-distribute) it for profit or non-profit by downloading the content from a social network.

I’m sure there are some grey areas which people will point out to us, but ultimately this is what I believe.

No hard feelings. I’m sure our discussion is for the best of interest to our fellow Cruise Critic friends.

:)

Archived