Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

60 here, and I've been with the same company for nearly 26 years. Fortunately, when we met with our financial adviser last month he said we could retire by the end of the year. Unfortunately, doing so would mean that we would need to die by next summer. Not a clue of when -- or even if -- either of us will be able to retire, honestly. Sorta sucks, actually, but my hat's off to the folks who've managed it. :)

Edited by DeaverTex

I am 57 and have decided to sell my business in two years, if we still have an economy, and have started my count down for May 2013. I will be able to work part time for a few years if I want because I am an architect and design homes so I can do this anywhere without an office.

Looking forward to it.

Going to Alaska for a second time in June SB. Looking forward to doing lots of that.

My wife works with me so we retire at the same time.

EB

Anyone close to retirement? :)

When do you start counting the days?

My retirment day is next Friday, only 1 week to go!!!! Then off on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise to celabrate.

Ruthann

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I retire at the end of the school year in June 2012 after 38 1/2 years. I have been counting down the school days until I retire and posting the number of days on the refrigerator in the teacher's work room. As of today, I have 110 more school days.

Hubby will retire the last Friday in April 2012 and he is 56. I "retired" over 10 years ago from my full time job as a secretary and work from home dabbling as a travel agent (No I am NOT trying to get clients just stating what I do). ;)

We are taking a Disney cruise on the new Fantasy to celebrate his retirement. We will cruise again in October to New England/Canada and the Panama Canal January 2013. We are going to cruise in the months we could never take a vacation all the while he worked; he is an insurance accountant and our lives revolved around every quarter end and every year end.

Our log home is for sale and once it has been sold we are going to travel, travel, travel in an RV and take our sweet pets with us. We have a pet sitter for when we cruise! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Susie O sounds like you got it made. My hubby got to retire 2 1/2 yrs ago and I cannot wait for my turn. He absolutely loves retirement. We own a travel trailer and plan on seeing this beautiful country fr E to W and N to S and all the areas in between. I just hope we are physically able to do that in 7 more years when I am old enough to retire. I'm not counting days yet, but definitely counting the months.

Good luck to everyone, here's to happy retirements to those who will retire soon.

Original plan was to retire at age 58.

Plan B was to retire at 60.

Plan C was to retire at 62.

Plan D is now to keep working until I drop or hit the lottery!

Would rather hubby retired completely - he is working 30 hours a week at age 64.

Love cruising and that's why I'm still working - need the $$$$.:rolleyes:

I started a paper chain 6 mos out and kept it at at my desk ripping off one ring every day. Retired 7/31/11 and LOVING IT!

Hubby retired 5.5 yrs before me and I kept working for the health insurance. Of course I was keeping him in the style to which he had become accustomed. LOL!

Sue

msmm2, I'll "second" that motion you mentioned of STILL working, because you like/love to cruise.:) That's me too.

My husband took an early retirement at the age of 55 (diabetes), but I am STILL working at the age of almost 69 next month. I work for a large company, and really like my job. Although I give "Uncle Sam" a BIG portion of my check:mad:, it really comes in handy along with my SS check. Most people tell me I don't look my age, so that helps too.:) I want to continue working as long as I am physically able, and it doesn't get ICY for me to drive here in Missouri. Ice and I don't get along.:mad:

My company does a points system for retirement with full benefits. 85 is the magical number (age + service years = points). I have 94 points so I can go anytime my DW says "you can retire now", so my count down is at T-1 day and holding. Anytime now the clock will continue the count.

Pappagene

My husband and I are both retiring this year, so ready! I work as a school nurse and my husband is a policeman. I will be done at the end of May and he will retire at the end of July. We have scheduled a NCL Hawaii cruise in Nov. to celebrate! I posted a hugh calendar behind my desk and each day I mark a day off. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just took the plunge and retired on May 17. Have had a wonderful relaxing week. Even found a discount on one of my booked cruises. Not sure if this will be a good/bad thing. Plenty of time to find really good deals but not sure how $$$ will last. I figure (hope) to have at least 20 more years of traveling.

Chris

I can retire at anytime, but have decided to stay in the pre-retirement mode so the company can pay for all my traveling that I like to do. Have made it quite clear with management that the only reason I stay is just for that and not a thing they can do about it. Having 38 years with the Gov't makes it very easy!

I can retire at anytime, but have decided to stay in the pre-retirement mode so the company can pay for all my traveling that I like to do. Have made it quite clear with management that the only reason I stay is just for that and not a thing they can do about it. Having 38 years with the Gov't makes it very easy!

You must not live in Louisiana.....they are messing everyone's retirement up .....unless you are on federal retirement. I don't know how that one works. Count your blessings.(: