Mercury Overall Condition Answered!!

Gitane

Returned from a 3 day Pacific Northwest cruise on the Mercury. I realize that there have been other threads and questions on the ships condition. Decided to give my impression of such!!

In short, the ship is in superb condition!! Very clean, shiny, hardly any rust or visible corrosion. Public areas were the same, furniture in great shape, carpets also. Outside teak decking was in great shape and looked recently oiled and sealed. The tables and chairs in the Palm Springs Cafe and the Pool area on deck 11 are teak now and looked new. 2 years ago, they were fiberglass, glass, and plastic - much inproved!!

Our room (Sunset Veranda) was exceptional: clean, no stains or wear on furnishings. Great service, VERY comfortable bed. Only complaint was that the "23" LCD-HD interactive television" was nowhere to be found!! Just a regular 19" (?) and a VCR. No biggie, since we only used it to check our bill!!

Only area that I found somewhat short of expectations was in the exterior signage. Many, but not all, were faded and almost unreadable.

Overall, she was in better shape than I remember from our 4 day two years ago. I can honestly say that the ship looked almost new all-over.

P2730721.jpg.72954ca091d52c1c4efe1a3c73fd6fe0.jpg

Thank you so much for posting!

We were already excited about coming back to X because we knew the service would be exceptional. Knowing that the Mercury is in great condition just makes me that much happier!! :D

Thanks again.

-Ryan

In short, the ship is in superb condition!! Very clean, shiny, hardly any rust or visible corrosion. Public areas were the same, furniture in great shape, carpets also. Outside teak decking was in great shape and looked recently oiled and sealed. The tables and chairs in the Palm Springs Cafe and the Pool area on deck 11 are teak now and looked new. 2 years ago, they were fiberglass, glass, and plastic - much inproved!!

Our room (Sunset Veranda) was exceptional: clean, no stains or wear on furnishings. Great service, VERY comfortable bed.

Seeing as we'll be trying Celebrity (and the Mercury) for the first time, I'm excited to hear all of this.

I shall share it with my friend. One tends to be concerned when thinking about sailing on a 13 year old vessel.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Mercury with us. I am sailing on her on Nov. 9th and starting to get excited!

I ,too, hope they keep her in the fleet. I loved the Galaxy and was very sad to see her go.

I would hate to see the Mercury leave.

Debbi

Can't agree with you more! We also just returned from the three day (way too short, but needed something to help me make it to my Panama Canal trip on Constellation in January). This ship is immaculate and the service is awesome! I was on Mercury in June and thought she looked even better this time, freshly painted and not a stain or rust to be found anywhere. Mercury is by far my favorite ship and I really hope they keep her around for several more years!

Can't agree with you more! We also just returned from the three day (way too short, but needed something to help me make it to my Panama Canal trip on Constellation in January). This ship is immaculate and the service is awesome! I was on Mercury in June and thought she looked even better this time, freshly painted and not a stain or rust to be found anywhere. Mercury is by far my favorite ship and I really hope they keep her around for several more years!

If you're on the January 17 sailing out of San Diego, come join us on the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772664

Must say that teak furniture is a definite improvement over the plastic stuff that used to be on that back deck! Do they have umbrellas too? You probably didn't need them on your sailing but they would be useful on some sailings.

Seeing as we'll be trying Celebrity (and the Mercury) for the first time, I'm excited to hear all of this.

I shall share it with my friend. One tends to be concerned when thinking about sailing on a 13 year old vessel.

Hi, if I am calculating your cruise date correctly, I think we are on the same cruise. May 5th out of LA to Alaska? We are sooo excited, only been to Mexico several times on Carnival, and really looking forward to a change. Tim

.... One tends to be concerned when thinking about sailing on a 13 year old vessel.

To keep things in perspective, the U.S. Navy has a ship in commission that was built in 1797. A 13-year-old ship seems like a baby compared to a 212-year-old ship. I suppose when one thinks about automobiles, 13 years old seems a stretch; with a ship, 13 years old is relatively new.

Thanks for the update on the Mercury. We'll be going on Celebrity for the first time in March on the Mercury. I wasn't really worried about the condition of the ship as we don't really notice a lot of the little things. However, I was worried about the bed - good to know that you thought the bed was very comfortable. We can't wait for our first Celebrity experience!!!

To keep things in perspective, the U.S. Navy has a ship in commission that was built in 1797. A 13-year-old ship seems like a baby compared to a 212-year-old ship. I suppose when one thinks about automobiles, 13 years old seems a stretch; with a ship, 13 years old is relatively new.

Thirteen years is a very long time for those who look at a ship's accessibility to the disabled. We both loved the Galaxy but never saw any signs of the pool lifts she was supposedly equipped with on our three cruises on her. Maybe they moved them to the Mercury? But it truly is a great size for a ship and being home ported to Baltimore we'll forgive the lack of an accessible verandah cabin on the two cruises we have booked. But after those two we will be looking at newer ships or more accessible, smaller ones.

Hi, can somebody tell me about the wine package they are offering onboard the Mercury? Also, how is the sushi? Is it made fresh or a buffet?

I am currently on the Mercury in the middle of our 12 day itinerary. There are a number of wine packages available. I have not opted for any of them, so have not paid any attention. The sushi is fresh and it is only in the evening and is sort of buffet style in that you server yourself but there is an attendant there.

The new lounge for Elite members is wonderful. Fresh squeezed juices in the morning, in addition to different coffees, fruits, & pastries, yogurts. You can also have a Bloody Mary, Mimosa, Champagne and a number of other cocktails if you wish (gratis). Open from 8am - 10am, in the Pavillion Night Club (too many members now for it to be in Michaels Club).

The evening it is open from 4 - 6. There are passed appetizers and an open bar. There are about 160 Elite members on this cruise. The ship itself is in wonderful shape, and the crew are as friendly as usual. David

David,

Glad to hear Mercury is well. We sail her in March and I only have 1 concern. The beds. We sailed Sky Suite on Galaxy and the beds weren't the greatest. Have they changed the beds throughout the ship yet? Thanks for any input you can give.

Pat C

The new lounge for Elite members is wonderful. Fresh squeezed juices in the morning, in addition to different coffees, fruits, & pastries, yogurts. You can also have a Bloody Mary, Mimosa, Champagne and a number of other cocktails if you wish (gratis). Open from 8am - 10am, in the Pavillion Night Club (too many members now for it to be in Michaels Club).

The evening it is open from 4 - 6. There are passed appetizers and an open bar. There are about 160 Elite members on this cruise. The ship itself is in wonderful shape, and the crew are as friendly as usual. David

Since when is this in effect? Is this fleetwide?

Since when is this in effect? Is this fleetwide?

A couple of months now on all ships, it is part of the new Captains Club Benefits..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000QuuXUUBjkgMZFzFtYNrZ0t8:12hdbcuh7?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-07-08&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

I am currently on the Mercury in the middle of our 12 day itinerary. There are a number of wine packages available. I have not opted for any of them, so have not paid any attention. The sushi is fresh and it is only in the evening and is sort of buffet style in that you server yourself but there is an attendant there.

Can you tell me who the captain is and when he will be going on vacation? Elite perks sound great! Have you tried the laundry perk? Are clothes ironed and folded or just folded? Thanks for any info.

David,

Glad to hear Mercury is well. We sail her in March and I only have 1 concern. The beds. We sailed Sky Suite on Galaxy and the beds weren't the greatest. Have they changed the beds throughout the ship yet? Thanks for any input you can give.

Pat C

We sailed recently, had an inside on sky deck. Our friends had a suite. Both rooms were in need of mattress replacements as far as we were concerned. Egg crate addition was needed. Order it before you sail unless you learn they have replaced mattresses.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell me who the captain is and when he will be going on vacation? Elite perks sound great! Have you tried the laundry perk? Are clothes ironed and folded or just folded? Thanks for any info.

The current captain is Nickos Frantzis but I do not know when he is on vacation. The Elite Events used to be in Michael's Club but it proved too small a venue so they are now held in the Pavillion Nightclub for morning and evening events. I found my mattress perfect!

• 2 months later...
Elite perks sound great! Have you tried the laundry perk? Are clothes ironed and folded or just folded? Thanks for any info.

We just came back from a 14 night transatlantic on the Galaxy. The coupons may be different on shorter cruises. Ours said they were for cruises of 11 nights or more. [i think.] The coupon is good for 30 items with another coupon for pressing one or two items and another coupon for dry cleaning (maybe only one item). The coupon says it may be up to three day before the laundry is returned to the stateroom and that it is not valid on the last three days of the cruise. So use it early.

The laundry was returned to us very nicely folded; I don't know that it was ironed, but nothing cried out to be ironed either. You might specify which items you want pressed and use the 'ironing' coupon for that too. Our only problem was related to setting it out before we went to dinner on Tuesday night - our cruise ended Saturday morning. Our cabin steward didn't take the laundry Tuesday night because the laundry was closed. (Who would have thought? I had an image of 24 hour activity down there.) To my mind Tuesday was not one of the last three days of the cruise. I was wrong. The captain's club host sorted it out for us even though I was wrong. At any rate, use your coupons early. I will certainly pack differently for my next cruise, knowing that I have the option of having laundry done.

Archived